Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Canadian Sherman in Korea

June 11 2012 at 2:22 PM
  (Login AMPSChuck)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 99.238.92.151

Would anyone know what unit the following Sherman belonged to, and when the picture was taken. It is clearly a Canadian M4A3E8 in Korea, and is the only one I've see with sand shields. The round squadron mark on the turret would suggest 'C' Squadron, Lord Strathcona, but the name on the side of the tank looks like it starts with a 'D', which would make it 'D' Squadron, RCD. In any case, any help would be appreciated.

123.JPG

------
Chuck Rothman
Former AMPS Webmaster
Former AMPS Boresight Editor
Now just a regular AMPS member

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login jasonbobro)
Missing-Lynx members

Sherman ID

June 11 2012, 2:48 PM 

Hi Chuck,

You have covered all your bases with the 'C' Sqn tactical marking and the possible 'D' Sqn tank name. I can't make out the tank name at all on the image you posted...can you do a crop of a larger image?

The sand shields are unique and not the norm for sure. Note that the canvas mantlet cover is missing too.

I am leaning toward this being a 'C' Sqn, LdSH(RC) tank as 'D' Sqn, RCD replaced 'A' Sqn, LdSH(RC) in April 1954. 'A' Sqn tanks had large sections of track attached to the turret sides covering all tactical markings.

The sand shields being in place might indicate a tank earlier during the deployment.

Respond to this message   

(Login BrianInOregon)
Missing-Lynx members

Round marking...

June 12 2012, 1:42 AM 

I thought all tanks of Lord Strathcona Horse has the red rimmed black circle as a national marking, regardless of squadron letter?

There are photos of B and C squadron Shermans with the same red rimmed black circle.

Respond to this message   

(Login jasonbobro)
Missing-Lynx members

Markings

June 12 2012, 11:48 PM 

The turret markings are for sure tactical and not national.

The LdSH(RC) had 'C' Sqn deployed first, then 'B' Squadron, then 'A' Sqn. Then the RCD deployed their 'D' Sqn for the final tour.

Both 'C' and 'B' Sqns used their appropriate turret tactical markings ('C' circle and 'B' square). There may have been a short time between the Sqn handovers that 'B' Sqn still displayed the 'C' Sqn tactical marking before repainting when timewas available.

When 'A' Sqn deployed they attached spare track sections to both sides of the turret covering the tactical markings.

I suspect that when 'D' Sqn RCD deployed they retained the spare track sections on the turrets.

Respond to this message   

(Login AMPSChuck)
Missing-Lynx members

So the consensus is...

June 14 2012, 8:36 AM 

LdSH 'C' squadron, early in the deployment (spring or early summer, 1951).... Anyone know the name of the vehicle (starting with a 'C', I would assume).

------
Chuck Rothman
Former AMPS Webmaster
Former AMPS Boresight Editor
Now just a regular AMPS member

Respond to this message   

(Login jasonbobro)
Missing-Lynx members

Name

June 14 2012, 11:06 PM 

Chuck,

Without knowing which tank Troop and which tank within 'C' Squadron it could be any tank within the Squadron. Yup, the tank name would start with a 'C' as they are all historically standardized.

Where did you find the pic?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login phickey)
Missing-Lynx members

I just took the image into ....

June 19 2012, 11:51 AM 

Adobe Photoshop and played with the contrast, the last letter looks to be an "L"?...Does that help any?

P

Respond to this message   

(Login jasonbobro)
Missing-Lynx members

Troop Names

June 19 2012, 9:57 PM 

Good job Pete,

Well let's see...Strathcona tank names ending in an 'L'...

'C' Squadron

Churchill... 'C' Sqn Commander's tank

'B' Squadron

Bengal...3 Troop.

'A' Squadron

Abdul...'A' Squadron 2 i/c's tank

Respond to this message   

(Login BradinBC)
Missing-Lynx members

But...

August 13 2013, 11:51 PM 

If the turret tactical marking is "C" Squadron, then it would most likely be Churchill right?

Brad

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Canadian Sherman in Korea
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse