Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airfix-Lee Challenger 1 Mk3

June 25 2012 at 10:17 AM
  (Login barra733)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 217.87.35.141

Any commments on the accuracy of this kit? Is it a copy of the Tamiya offering? I only need the lower hull and running gear for a conversion:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-LEE-CHALLENGER-1-MK-3-BRITISH-MAIN-BATTLE-TANK-1-35-SCALE-MODEL-KIT-/261052425810?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item3cc7efe652

Thanks, Ian.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login cjacquemont)
Missing-Lynx members

Beware of copies...

June 25 2012, 10:54 AM 

... the moral aspect notwithstanding I mean.

I got a Trumpeter T-72 with mineroller, which is a direct copy of the Tamiya kit with copied and adapted Academy roller parts. When you compare the sprues directly the moulding of the copy appear very very crude and lacks sharpness and detail. If Lee other (sometimes adapted) copies like their T-34 are any clue, you should be in for the same kind of problems with that kit.

I'd try to locate a Tamiya original if I were you, some can be found at very low prices nowadays.

Cheers,

Christophe

This message has been edited by cjacquemont from IP address 213.61.64.126 on Jun 25, 2012 10:55 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

CC Lee is a Tamiya copy

June 25 2012, 11:26 AM 

Yes, the CC Lee kit is a poor copy of the Tamiya kit. I can't comment on the usefulness of the running gear and lower hull. If the price is OK, you could probably take a chance with it.

RobG

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Airfix kit and Lee kit may not be the same

June 25 2012, 1:02 PM 

I thought the Airfix kit was the Hobbycraft kit reboxed. The Hobbycraft kit being the first generation Trumpeter offering. The Lee kit may not be the same, as all the Lee kits I have seen are crude, crappy copies of other companies kits. Either way, I would probably pass. The Lee kit will be motorized too.

Respond to this message   

(Login viper29_ca)
Missing-Lynx members

Wrong Description

June 25 2012, 1:10 PM 

I think the seller just stuck Airfix in there as it is a more well known name than Lee is.

The Lee one is definitely a Tamiya copy, right down to the instructions.

If Airfix re-released a Challenger, (which I have never seen), it is likely a copy of the Trumpeter kits via Hobbycraft. 2 completely different kits.

Respond to this message   

(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

The Airfix Challenger II and the CC Lee Challenger I are different kits

June 25 2012, 1:47 PM 

You are correct. The eBay link goes to a CC Lee Challenger 1 Mk 3, which is a poor copy of the Tamiya kit. He probably stuck the name Airfix in there by accident or to attract attention using brand name recognition.

Airfix did rebox a Trumpeter Challenger II, which is a different kit and different version than the CC Lee kit.

[linked image]

This is the CC Lee kit called "Airfix" in the eBay auction.

[linked image]

RobG

Respond to this message   

(Login viper29_ca)
Missing-Lynx members

Not to mention

June 25 2012, 3:49 PM 

That the Airfix kit is a Challenger II, where as the Lee one is a Challenger I Mk. 3.....2 completely different tanks.

Respond to this message   

(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

That's what I said n/t

June 25 2012, 3:55 PM 

n/t

RobG

Respond to this message   

(Login Albowie)
Missing-Lynx members

Do not waste your money

June 25 2012, 11:17 PM 

The Lee Challenger is horrid and a very poor copy of the Tamiya kit. I bought 5 of these when they were released in Australia and sold for $5 ea (they were just worth that). I bought them solely for the Water jerrycans which were quite useable. The rest of the kit is poorly moulded, ill fitting and the tracks were crumbly and not complete castings. I would avoid this like the plague even for the running gear. The Tamiya can be had cheaply on Ebay from time to time
Al

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Airfix-Lee Challenger 1 Mk3
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse