Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Meng merkava 3; just arrived at Sprue Bros

June 26 2012 at 11:48 AM
Christopher Mrosko  (Login panzermrosko)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 71.85.192.177

Meng Merkava 3; just arrived at Sprue Bros!
It's about time! can't wait!
Mrosko

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John Heck
(Login JohnHeck)
Missing-Lynx members

Hobby Boss vs Meng Merkava IIID?

June 27 2012, 2:18 AM 

Has there been a good comparison of these two kits? I know the Hobby Boss has anti-skid molded on while the Meng does not.

Cheers,

John

Respond to this message   
Steven Brown
(Login thegoodsgt)
Missing-Lynx members

Resource

June 27 2012, 9:50 AM 

I haven't seen a thorough comparison yet myself, but this site has quite a bit of discussion of the new kit, including a group build.

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/

Respond to this message   
Florencio baca
(Login fbc41)
Missing-Lynx members

Lower Hull

June 27 2012, 4:09 PM 

Main issue with the Meng kit is the angles of the lower hull are wrong.

Respond to this message   
Shane Gowan
(Login ShaneGowan)
Missing-Lynx members

N/t

June 27 2012, 9:36 PM 

n/t

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to help anyone.

This message has been edited by ShaneGowan from IP address 125.239.111.167 on Jun 27, 2012 9:41 PM

Respond to this message   
Shane Gowan
(Login ShaneGowan)
Missing-Lynx members

Not so fast...

June 27 2012, 9:40 PM 

From another discussion on this forum, I understand that the hull is correct, fairly sure Dr Rob Manasherob (sorry if I spelt it wrong) has said it is accurate.
But you know this, as you started the original thread by compairing this kit to the Tamiya one, and assumed the Tamiya kit is correct.
Move on man, more knowledgeable have debunked your critisism
Shane

Respond to this message   
Florencio Baca
(Login fbc41)
Missing-Lynx members

Read Again

June 27 2012, 10:17 PM 

Well you need to read that post again and while you're at it read this one too:http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3049&hilit=Meng&start=60

Respond to this message   
Shane Gowan
(Login ShaneGowan)
Missing-Lynx members

You need to read it again

June 27 2012, 10:35 PM 

Check Mikes answerhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1337753322/Meng+Merkava+3d+Lower+Hull+-
It answers you perfectly, it states the Meng is 100% correct on the angles, and quotes someone else called Olaf too.
Shane.

This message has been edited by ShaneGowan from IP address 125.239.111.167 on Jun 27, 2012 10:37 PM

Respond to this message   
Jim Carswell
(Login leopardC2)
Missing-Lynx members

To quote...

June 28 2012, 12:49 AM 

"the Meng model was done according to measurements from computerised (sic) formal "blue prints".
All major dimensions and angles are 100% correct."
How can you argue with that??

Jim

Respond to this message   
Florencio Baca
(Login fbc41)
Missing-Lynx members

You Have Eyes But See Not

June 28 2012, 2:19 AM 

So if anyone of you would actually read the latest link on the subject on the IDF forum:http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3049&start=60 You would see where someone else also points the problems with the Meng lower hull and Michael Mass admits there are issues with it!

Respond to this message   
Robert Manasherob
(Login SabIngaMartinR)
Missing-Lynx members

No and No

June 28 2012, 3:09 AM 

Shane,

I dont think that I ever say that the hull shape of Meng Merkava are correct as you say.

As Florencio say there are some issues with the kit, as well as can be seen in the link he provide.
In contrast to other side that try with all their power to beat and damage other companies efforts, I dont think that Florencio has any motivation to harm the Meng kit. In contrary as modeler of IDF I am sure that we are happy with every IDF related kit that see the light.

I think that both Meng and HobbyBoss Merkava kits are good for IDF modelers, and as any kit both of them are not perfect. The price of Hobby Boss is almost half so it is a great factor, as well the PE that HobbyBoss provide make it really good deal.

Since the EGO M spoke today again and try to sting, I will say it again that the difference in price of MENG kit to HobbyBoss is because of high payment for the info and the posters production and advertise in several journals for 2-3 months on double pages for the MENG kit that cost around 1000$ for each journal issue. So if it was published in 5 -6 different Journal for 2-3 months its over 15-20K. Go now and calculate how much extra the modeler need to pay so MENG will recover this unnecessary spendings.

So as we say in Hebrew, "who live in glass house should not throw stones around".

Robert

Dr.Robert Manasherob
www.sabingamartin.com

Respond to this message   
Shane Gowan
(Login ShaneGowan)
Missing-Lynx members

My apologies, and a question too

June 28 2012, 3:25 AM 

I did not mean to misquote you Robert I apologise, I meant no offence.
As for my answer, I was going by what I had read here, I don't belong to the IDF forum, and I didn't have the time to read all 7 pages the link provided, I was guided by Mike's answer here on this forum. I see now the link takes the reader direct to the issue.
My apologies.

Now, I have to ask, how is it determined it is the lower hull that is incorrect? It may be that the upper hull is too narrow, if it was wider then that would make the tank look more "squat" as per your first cooment Florencio. If it is the lower hull, then the fenders may need to be wider to accommodate the tracks being moved out.....
Shane

This message has been edited by ShaneGowan from IP address 203.114.177.103 on Jun 28, 2012 7:27 AM

Respond to this message   
Scott Dimmick
(Login SEDimmick)
Missing-Lynx members

Splitting hairs?

June 28 2012, 8:03 AM 

Given that the possible problems with the hull are minor, why get so hung up over a mm or 2? The Hobbyboss Merk might be cheaper, but at the same time, from what I've seen, it doesn't have the same fidelity as the Meng kit.

Given HobbyBoss/Trumpeters record with fudging up models and the lack of direct resources that Meng had in developing their kit, I would still buy the Meng kit. Not to mention I'd rather support a newcomer who seems interested in making correct kits vs one that has a proven track-record of half-assing things or plain not just caring when it comes to making "more" correct models.

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

Respond to this message   
Hugo Huertas
(Login hugohuertas)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Splitting hairs?

June 28 2012, 7:21 PM 

"why get so hung up over a mm or 2?"
If you make the maths, two mm in 1/35 scale means seven centimeters in real life, a dimmensional issue always criticized before on Trumpeter and Hobby Boss kits in this same forum
So I believe it is a significant meassurement issue in a Meng kit too... even more if the kit has a price of about $50 or more
Just my 2 cts

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse