Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Wheelbarrow EOD robot

January 31 2013 at 8:10 PM
  (Login randy.hampton)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 132.181.51.220

Hi,

Does anybody make a British EOD wheelbarrow kit representative of Northern Ireland in the 70's - 80's. 1/32nd or 1/35th scale.

Failing that, can anybody help with basic dimensions, scale plans or photos so that I can attempt to build one.

Thank you

Randy

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login malcolmshaw)
Missing-Lynx members

I wish!

February 1 2013, 10:57 AM 

As far as I know, no one has ever done a kit of the wheelbarrow.

The only kit of this type of vehicle I know of is the AFV Club Talon, which I think the British Army do use now.

Malc

Respond to this message   

(Login randy.hampton)
Missing-Lynx members

Talon

February 1 2013, 7:50 PM 

Thanks, Malc,

unfortunately not a popular subject/era.

Cheers, Randy

Respond to this message   

(Login malcolmshaw)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Talon

February 2 2013, 12:21 PM 

Very true, we who served there are the forgotten soldiers of the British Army.

I once thought about scratch building a wheel barrow, I`ll have to try again I reckon.

Malc.

Respond to this message   

(Login RobertLockie)
Missing-Lynx members

Mk. 7

February 1 2013, 2:19 PM 

Hi Randy

I'm not aware of there being any kits of Wheelbarrow but back in the late 1980s at least there was a Mk. 7 (I think - it pre-dated the one with the parallelogram trackwork, which I think was a Mk .8 anyway) at the National Army Museum in London.  I spent a couple of hours measuring it shortly after moving to London and even made some progress on drawing up the component parts, although I never actually cut plastic on it beyond making a 1/76 one.  The drawings I did will be around somewhere (will need to rummage though) and I will also have the negatives (ah, the days when cameras used film....) I took, which I can scan and send you, although it was in a murky gallery so I was forced to use flash, which doesn't give the best results.  Still, there is probably enough to have a stab at making one in 1/35 and you probably won't run into many people who have studied it enough to tell you about any errors you make.  It did evolve quite a bit so many of the fittings will have changed over time anyway.

Edit:

Astonishingly, I found one page of the drawings in mere seconds, so will scan and email that to you tonight.  It's drawn on 1mm graph paper at 1/17.5 scale so halve all dims to 1/35.  The page has the body, main support frame and the boom each from several directions but although I have definitely drawn them, not the actuators, of which I think there were three on the one I examined.  Will have a more in depth rummage for the others over the weekend, when I will also attempt to retrieve my negs from my storage unit.  The drawings were done for my own modelling purposes not for publication so don't expect Hilary Doyle quality!  And you will need photos to interpret what the lines mean.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

Respond to this message   

(Login randy.hampton)
Missing-Lynx members

wheelbarrow at the NAM

February 1 2013, 8:33 PM 

Hi Robert,

Thank you, exactly what I'm after!

Small world. I was in London in 1986 (a long way from New Zealand!) On that trip I visited the NAM and saw the wheelbarrow you refer to. I took a couple of fuzzy photos (since lost)

On that trip I visited the late Sid Horton of Chota Sahib in Brighton and he told me that he was working on the masters for a wheelbarrow kit for his Northern Ireland range. Unfortunately that kit never appeared.

I'm finally getting around to a vignette featuring Chota Sahib's ATO with a wheelbarrow and would appreciate any information/photos that you can turn up.

Cheers

Randy

Respond to this message   

(Login RobertLockie)
Missing-Lynx members

Email incoming with photos

February 2 2013, 3:50 PM 

I picked up the Chota Sahib ATO figure some years ago, which was probably what encouraged me to look at the Wheelbarrow.  I shouild probablu invest in a Pig to go with it but one thing at a time....

Rob

Respond to this message   

(Login malcolmshaw)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Mk. 7

February 2 2013, 12:23 PM 

Robert, would there be any chance of getting a copy for myself, please.

Thanks

Malc.

Respond to this message   
Tim Neate
(Login Tim_Neate)
Missing-Lynx members

Wheelbarrow photos

February 2 2013, 3:33 AM 

Hi Randy

I have some photos not sure which Mk. Like Bob i will need to find and scan them if you need reference photos. Let me know.

Regards

Tim Neate

Respond to this message   
pat mc cumiskey
(Login patmccumiskey)
Missing-Lynx members

EOD PICTURES

February 2 2013, 6:21 AM 

I was at RAF Cosford before xmas and took some pictures of a robot ,not sure what type but take a look here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92764474@N03/

regards , Pat.

Respond to this message   

(Login H.P.Mas)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Wheelbarrow photos

February 2 2013, 9:54 AM 

Different Wheelbarrow variants are pictured in this thread :

http://raoc.websitetoolbox.com/post/321-EOD-2546076?highlight=wheelbarrow

HTH

H.P.

Respond to this message   

(Login RobertLockie)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks for that, most helpful. And possibly another one found

February 2 2013, 4:09 PM 

So the NAM exhibit was a Mk. VI and the Cosford one a Mk. V, it would seem.

A bit of surfing reveals that IWM Duxford may have a Mk. VII now, although I don't recall seeing one there when I was a regular visitor - IWM has recently sent a load of its stuff to DX, so it might have been a recent arrival.

Rob

Respond to this message   
Tim Neate
(Login Tim_Neate)
Missing-Lynx members

Here's two photos of the Mk8

February 3 2013, 9:32 AM 

Hi Randy

I've found the photos. There are walk arounds of the Mk7 and Mk8 with 12 inch scale, plus a few Mk 5 photos.

Here are a couple of Mk8 photos.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Regards

Tim
www.neatescale.co.uk

Respond to this message   

(Login randy.hampton)
Missing-Lynx members

Thank you all and then some...

February 5 2013, 3:06 AM 

Hi,

I found my photos from the NAM, three general views only but they seem to show a different vehicle to yours Robert, I'm wondering if I took them at the IWM or somewhere else. I can scan them and post them to anybody interested. They show the shotgun mounted.

Could I see your pics of the MkV, Tim?

Time to build one, I have in mind a vignette with wheelbarrow, ATO and Airfix Vauxhall Viva.

Thank you all for your help and generosity.

Cheers, Randy.

Respond to this message   
Tim Neate
(Login Tim_Neate)
Missing-Lynx members

I will scan them in

February 5 2013, 2:40 PM 

Hi Randy

I think there are 3 or 4 photos, I will scan them in for you. It might be Thursday before I get to it.

Regards

Tim

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Wheelbarrow EOD robot
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse