Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1973 Syrian Recovery Vehicle?

June 24 2015 at 2:14 PM
Grant Mayberry  (Login anthony14rmg)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address

Hello Everyone,
So I'm looking for help from all you Yom Kippur War experts out there. Did the Syrians use any type of Tank recovery vehicles on the Golan Heights during the 1973 war? I have looked through a few books I have and the new Robert Manasherob book (Great Book, must for all interested in the T54/55 or the Golan Height Battle) on T54/55 on the Golan and couldn't find anything.

I was thinking that if they did have any ARV were the built on a T34, IS, or JS frame. I don't think they had any built on the T54/55 frame in 1973, but not sure.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Respond to this message   
Robert Manasherob
(Login SabIngaMartinR)

Yes they had

June 24 2015, 3:07 PM 

Dear Grant
First of all thanks for your compliments for my latest book.

Regarding the recovery, Yes they had small number of recovery tanks in the area, some of them based on the T-54 frame. Since the book is part 1 of the Yom Kippur war it not include some of the special frames that took also part in the war and will be presented in later volume.

However in general the Syrian not invest so much in the recovery, actually the opposite, in some areas brand new tanks that slightly damaged and can be recovered by their crew were dump as the crew run away from the battle field.

Dr. Robert Manasherob

Respond to this message   
Grant Mayberry
(Login anthony14rmg)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks and can't wait

June 24 2015, 3:26 PM 

Dr. Manasherob,
First, thank you for the reply and I can't wait for the next volume. Surprising to hear that they didn't invest some much in recovery and there choice to use the T54. I would have thought they would have had a home made version based on the T34/85 frame. Again, thank you for the information and I will be waiting for your next book.

Respond to this message   
tommy vicard
(Login tommyvicard)
Missing-Lynx members

of course they have !!

June 24 2015, 4:37 PM 

based on T 54/55 frame ! send me an email please :

Respond to this message   
Grant Mayberry
(Login anthony14rmg)
Missing-Lynx members

cool Thank you