Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

M1 Abrams - lower hull sides question

August 5 2017 at 5:19 PM
John Tapsell  (Login John_Tapsell)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 81.111.153.235

I'm continuing to collate the reference material I need for my M1 Abrams project. I have a specific display configuration in mind for the finished modal that will show part of the lower hull sides (behind the side skirts).

I can find photos of the skirt support brackets but whilst finding those, I realised that the hull sides are not a uniform thickness. Some photos show that parts of the hull have additional plates added to increase the thickness (or are machined that way) but I can't always tell if it's an M1 or a later variant that is in the photos. In 1/35 scale we're probably talking about an extra 40-60 thou thickness in some places on the hull (starting above the torsion bar housing plates).

Is this a feature that carried through from the original M1s or is it a later feature added to the A1 and A2 etc?

Thanks for any information you might be able to offer.

Regards,
John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pawel "Vodnik" Krupowicz
(Login Vodnik)
Missing-Lynx members

Every variant.

August 6 2017, 10:05 AM 

In every variant of M1, starting with XM1, the foremost skirts are composite Chobham armor, so they are much thicker than the rear steel sheet skirts.
Pawel

Respond to this message   
John Tapsell
(Login John_Tapsell)
Missing-Lynx members

Not the skirts - I mean the hull itself

August 6 2017, 11:08 AM 

Hi Pawel,

I'm familiar with the configuration of the skirts - that's not the question I was asking.

It is the hull itself behind the skirts that I need information on. I have photos of later M1 hulls with large armour plates in some places (some of the return roller mounting points sit on them).

What I want to find out is if this was the hull configuration from the XM1/M1 throughout production, or whether the thicker plates were added later at the A1 stage.

Regards,
John

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login mikemummey)
Missing-Lynx members

NT

August 6 2017, 8:52 PM 

This message has been edited by mikemummey from IP address 70.215.130.209 on Aug 10, 2017 10:16 AM

Respond to this message   
John Tapsell
(Login John_Tapsell)
Missing-Lynx members

Hull side - not the torsion bar mounts

August 7 2017, 7:37 AM 

Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding - I'm referring to the big plate that sits on the hull above the torsion bar housings.

On the right side (your first photo) it extends approximately three quarters along the hull (starts immediately behind the idler wheel mounting point and finishes immediately behind the rear return roller mount). On the left side it only extends about halfway (finishes just behind the third torsion bar housing).

Regards,
John

Respond to this message   
Pawel "Vodnik" Krupowicz
(Login Vodnik)
Missing-Lynx members

Oups

August 7 2017, 6:50 AM 

My apologies, I misread your post...

To be honest I'm not sure when the thicker armor on the lower hull on both sides of the crew compartment were introduced. But I think they were there from the beginning (i.e. XM1/M1).
Pawel

Respond to this message   
John Tapsell
(Login John_Tapsell)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks

August 7 2017, 7:44 AM 

Thanks Pawel - those are the plates I mean.

I'd never really noticed them before but I've just found a factory hull photo of the left side (in the old Sqn/Signal title on the M1 Abrams) that seems to show the plate in position.

Regards,
John

Respond to this message   
Sean McAndrews
(Login seanmcandrews)
Missing-Lynx members

Appears to be present from the outset

August 7 2017, 9:13 AM 

Hi John,
I've got photos of the M1 formerly on display in front of the APG museum building that show those plates machined in place, meaning the surrounding area was cut back to result in this thicker area. On the same visit I made a point to check out the same area on their Grizzly breacher and this hull had the plates welded on. Assuming this was a later model hull so welded on vs. machined may have been a cost/time saving thing.

Sean

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login mikemummey)
Missing-Lynx members

NT

August 7 2017, 10:33 PM 

This message has been edited by mikemummey from IP address 70.215.130.209 on Aug 10, 2017 10:19 AM

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login mikemummey)
Missing-Lynx members

NT

August 10 2017, 10:13 AM 

This message has been edited by mikemummey from IP address 67.103.185.198 on Aug 13, 2017 1:38 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse