Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Dragon M48... / Magach - engine reardoor this time

August 22 2017 at 3:56 PM
Frank Lobitz  (Login fraleoc)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 92.204.72.209

Hi

... followed the related posts here so far, understood them in general, but hadn't 'a picture' in mind.
... ran through all the -Dragon- kits - w/o Mod.B (still on order, but I've the instructions)

Result:
[linked image]

Then I studied my main sources (Hunnicutt, ...in Action, Vanguard 29) and stored pictures - but not the complete www, forgive me.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
- the frame (green): small is for A2 (gasoline), slightly bigger is at diesel (A3/A5).
Is it the same in the Magach-world?

- the strenghtening of the door (red) was a part of (early?) Vietnam experience, coming 1967 with (...A1 into...) A3 Mod.B conversions. This (and other changes) came to the earlier A3-conversions due...? US only?

What does that mean...
Is the A3 Dragon reardoor (C in the picure) just suitable for a limited number of (US) M48A3s, and A5s rebuilt from these specific A3s?

To cut a long story short =>
Do we need the DEF for some US- and nearly all none-US- A3s and A5s worldwide, including M48-Magachs?

Sorry for any confusion, I'm not counting nuts and bolts, the differences about these I don't mind. wink.gif
Thanks
Frank

BTW 1: if you find mistakes in the pic/factsheet please tell me. I know sometimes sprues are changed by companies, but that is what I found.
BTW 2: PLEASE stay within the topic. I like the Dragon M48!

[linked image]

This message has been edited by fraleoc from IP address 92.204.72.209 on Aug 22, 2017 5:16 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul Truhe
(Login ptruhe)
Missing-Lynx members

Norwegian M48A5

August 22 2017, 7:03 PM 

The Norwegian M48A5s also have the door strengthener/louver guard.

Not sure of the upgrade history. Might have been delivered as A3. http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/erik_torp/m48a5/

Paul

This message has been edited by ptruhe from IP address 104.13.127.220 on Aug 22, 2017 7:07 PM

Respond to this message   
Gary Owsley
(Login tanker635)
Missing-Lynx members

Well...you are a bit confused.

August 23 2017, 12:43 AM 

The DEF is for M48A3s. The Dragon part with the ribs on the doors part 36, while included in several kits, is only for M48A3 MOD Bs and M48A5s. The part is not that hard to convert for use with the M48A3 and Magach 3, but it's easier to use the DEF parts. Yes the part for A2s and Magach 2s is different from A3s.

Greek M48A2G

[linked image]

M48A3

[linked image]

M48A3 MOD B, same on the A5

[linked image]

Why would they change the engine doors on Magachs? It's what ever they were based off of.

This message has been edited by tanker635 from IP address 73.67.30.128 on Aug 23, 2017 1:05 PM

Respond to this message   
Olivier Carneau
(Login bison126)
Missing-Lynx members

Lebanese M48A5

August 23 2017, 3:18 AM 

Respond to this message   
mark hazzard
(Login hazzardm)
Missing-Lynx members

doors etc

August 23 2017, 2:51 PM 

for clarity

The conversion kit for the M48A5 included the reinforced doors and rear light clusters (square not arched shape), regardless of the baseline vehicle, note that the A2 hump and upper deck louvres are different to the A3, the A3 standard is that installed to make an A5.

IDF Magachs were obtained from a variety of sources; when re-engined (post 67) with the diesel engine the following tended to happen, although is not a definitive statement

A1s (either supplied direct or captured from Jordan by the IDF) had the full standard A3 engine upgrade as per the US army (but not Mod B standard, the ex Budge/Littlefield vehicle is one of these)

A2s had their existing humps and louvres modified to accept the airfilter boxes and pipework, the rear panel was unmodified (at least 1 survivor in Port Said and 1 at Bar Lev bunker in the Sinai)

A3s didn't need any work as they already had that engine fitted, in service in small numbers in 67, more supplied after, no evidence of any Mod B standard supplied

Some US converted A5s were also delivered to the IDF (there is one at Latrun)

I am not sure if DML actually do a true M48A3 rear door in any kit, it would be the same as Sprue D part 36 without the bits in red and would only be usable on a non Mod B A3, in other words a converted M48, A1, A2 that had the US standardised package embodied, and is exactly what DEF produce. The supplied part (Sprue D pt36) is ONLY usable for the M48A3 Mod B kit, unless DML are going to release an A5 at some point.

BTW if anyone has a surplus A2 door panel (sprue G part 37) going spare I would gladly pay for it!! PM me if interested please

MJH

Respond to this message   
Gary Owsley
(Login tanker635)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: doors etc

August 23 2017, 7:29 PM 

The IDF received a bunch of M48A3 MOD Bs in 1974. These are what ended up as Magach 5s later on.

[linked image]

[linked image]

DML was so lazy when they did their M60s that instead of fixing the M48A3 doors they included the A2 doors.

Respond to this message   
Mark hazzard
(Login hazzardm)
Missing-Lynx members

Cool, didn't know that

August 24 2017, 2:27 AM 

I guess what we thought was an A5 at latrun is one of those with magach bits on it

Mjh

Respond to this message   
Gary Owsley
(Login tanker635)
Missing-Lynx members

It may be....

August 26 2017, 6:47 PM 

They did receive some A5s in the late `70s.

Respond to this message   
Frank Lobitz
(Login fraleoc)
Missing-Lynx members

confused by Dragon ...not about the real steel

August 24 2017, 7:24 AM 

The basic facts are clear. Gary's pics matching my overview.

I started wondering when I learned that Dragon's A3 (#3546) has no option for the early M1 Cupola - w/o bulged hatch cover and G305 Riser. Ok, it's Dragon. The none-bulged hatch cover needed for the early cupola is included in the Magach 1/2 kit only so far - an A2/A2C likely to come in future. However.

Back to A3 Mod B.
According to Hunnicut, page 230
"The vision block ring [G305] and other late modifications were eventually retrofitted to the earlier M48A3s. After that program was complete, the Mod B designation was dropped."
A3 conversion started in 1962, A3 Mod.B 1967.

Does '...other late modifications...' means ALL of them? headlights, fenders,... and engine rear door with rear light housing?
Or just selected ones? making Dragon A3 an early A3 retroffited with parts of Mod B programm, or is it fantasy?
USMC M48s differs again.
That was my starting point.
The question what happend to M48 given away before converted in US when upgraded by the new user-Nation, differs from Nation to Nation, and specially with IDF.
Indeed I wondered if IDF changed the rear door when started dieselasation of Magach 2, as Mark pointed out.

So, thanks for all the responses and pics so far! I'll carry on sampling...
Frank
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Gary Owsley
(Login tanker635)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: confused by Dragon ...not about the real steel

August 26 2017, 7:00 PM 

Hunnicut is not infallible. Risers and bulged hatches didn't start showing up till sometime in `67 and the MOD B rebuilds( new engine door, new headlight set up, later side loaders, armored tail light housings, along with the riser and bulged hatch ) in late`68 early `69. DML's M48A3 is what it states it to be, as is their M48A3 MOD B. There are plenty of pics out there to prove the point.

This message has been edited by tanker635 from IP address 73.67.30.128 on Aug 26, 2017 9:33 PM

Respond to this message   
Frank Lobitz
(Login fraleoc)
Missing-Lynx members

so, in a nutshell...

August 27 2017, 11:24 AM 

Dragon A3 is a "'67 or later", for an "early" A3 the none-bulged hatch w/o riser is needed.
The rear door as presented by DEF for both.

Thanks
Frank
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Gary Owsley
(Login tanker635)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes. n/t

August 29 2017, 5:55 AM 

n/t

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index