Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

M1 Abrams - amber warning beacon attachment to hull?

August 27 2017 at 7:03 AM
John Tapsell  (Login John_Tapsell)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 81.111.153.235

I've come across several photos of early M1s in Germany with a the amber 'bubblegum' light located on the rear left corner of the engine deck. It sits on top, directly adjacent to the fuel cap but I can see no obvious brackets or fixings to hold it in place (temporary or otherwise).

Does anyone have information or suggestions as to how it was attached to the vehicle and also where it would have been plugged into a power source?

Thanks in advance,

John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

probably wired into the brakelight

August 27 2017, 9:10 AM 

couple of bolt heads that protrude from the top of the back deck. The bracket is probably a simple bent piece of metal.

[linked image]
RobG
rgronovius(at)hotmail(dot)com

Respond to this message   
John Tapsell
(Login John_Tapsell)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks

August 27 2017, 1:54 PM 

Thanks Rob - I hadn't spotted the single bolthead lurking in that location but it makes sense that a simple metal bracket could be located here.

Regards,
John

Respond to this message   
Greg Dean
(Login AggressorMG)
Missing-Lynx members

RAWLS light

September 3 2017, 8:43 PM 

Rotating amber light system or whoopee light
I was in B co 2-64 Armor in Schweinfurt Germany from 83-85. Our lights were mounted by magnets on the battery box lid and connected to the battery terminals with spring clamps. Very often you would see the tank dragging the light down the road until the cord broke.

Respond to this message   
Sean McAndrews
(Login seanmcandrews)
Missing-Lynx members

connection routing ?

September 5 2017, 9:10 AM 

Hi Greg,
do you recall where the cords entered the battery box, were they just run under the edge of the lid or routed some other way ?

Thanks,
Sean

Respond to this message   
Greg Dean
(Login AggressorMG)
Missing-Lynx members

Cord routeing

September 6 2017, 3:19 PM 

The battery box had a rubber gasket around the edge. The doors had a poor designed locking handle. Some times it took a hammer to move the handles. So usually you did not lock down the door because you would cut the cord. And in our case the cord was just an extension cord with the ends cut off. One end wired to the light and one end with alligator clips and then attached to the battery.
Wish I could find a picture but that was in the early 80's

Respond to this message   
Sean McAndrews
(Login seanmcandrews)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Greg !

September 6 2017, 4:24 PM 

Your explanation is more than enough.

Sean

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use