Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

M41 Bulldog auxilliary engine exhaust

September 2 2017 at 8:46 AM
Bruno COLLIN  (Login brunocollin1)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 79.86.9.7

Hi,
After some research on the Net, it seems, there are at least 2 types of auxilliary exhausts :
- 1 running to the rear with a small muffler
- 1 running forward with a bigger one
Some pics, quite unclear, seem to show no muffler at all. Is it possible or is it just I can't see it ?
Are these mods associated with M41 marks (plain, A1, A2, A3) ?

Last question : apart from AFV Club decal sheet and Decalcomaniacs, is there any other ARVN markings for M41 ?
I'm looking for the large shields appearing on the front turret of abandonned M41 south of Quang Tri (page 56 of Concord Armor of the Vietnam war 2 Asian forces).
TIA for your replies.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
George Proulx
(Login 48gunny)
Missing-Lynx members

ARVN M41

September 2 2017, 1:11 PM 

I know the photo you refer to.
For my markings I simply get the Testor's Decal Paper and surf the net for anything I can use. I copy the photo I need to my desktop. Then using Microsoft Publisher, I set the program paper size to the proper Testor's paper dimensions. I copy and paste the pic from my desktop to Publisher which then allows me to adjust the size of the image to fit my model. Anyway, just a thought for you. Just make sure if you do that and print it, don't spray on the Testor's decal bonder until the printer ink has completely dried. Otherwise the colors will run.

Respond to this message   
Bruno COLLIN
(Login brunocollin1)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: ARVN M41

September 2 2017, 5:02 PM 

Thanks for the process but the pic isn't clear enough to see precisely what the shield looks like.
Unless you have a better exemple ?

Respond to this message   
Rick Bennett
(Login Rhino_1)
Missing-Lynx members

Early Exhaust

September 2 2017, 2:04 PM 

The very early M41 had no muffler for the auxiliary motor. It simply exhausted out the port on the right side of the engine deck just behind the turret.

Respond to this message   
Bruno COLLIN
(Login brunocollin1)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Early Exhaust

September 2 2017, 4:56 PM 

Thanks a lot.
So, 3 solutions: without, rear and front.

Respond to this message   
Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

Bulldog evolution

September 2 2017, 7:34 PM 

The M41 got changes during production and became the M41A1. When the two versions were upgraded later in life, the M41 became the M41A2 and the M41A1 became the M41A3. You'll see commonality between the two groups of tanks.
RobG
rgronovius(at)hotmail(dot)com

Respond to this message   
Bruno COLLIN
(Login brunocollin1)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Bulldog evolution

September 3 2017, 4:51 PM 

Thanks, Rob.
Does it mean M41/M41A2 have the small muffler to the rear and M41A1/M41A3 have the big one to the front ?

Respond to this message   
Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

Depends on what was done during its life

September 4 2017, 1:20 PM 

but as a rule of thumb, what the M41 has, the upgraded M41A2 will have and the same with the M41A1 in regards to the M41A3.
RobG
rgronovius(at)hotmail(dot)com

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse