Home > Discussion Groups > Modern

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"99 Problems"

September 10 2017 at 12:14 PM
Shon Stephens  (Login shonrs)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 67.211.143.62

"... but a b**** ain't one" I found this interesting picture of and M1 and thought I'd share.

"99 Problems"

5aa8f_2057011566.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a USMC M1A1HC. I couldn't find any context other this photo in Google search results.
If anyone knows anything else about this tank or has seen other pictures, please add to this thread.

Thanks,
Shon

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Michael E. Mummey
(Login mikemummey)
Missing-Lynx members

But a First Sergeant is one!

September 10 2017, 8:40 PM 

The '99 Problems' on the Bore Evacuator is reference to issues certain crewmembers had with their Company First Sergeant, not the Jay-Z rap. The MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) for a USMC First Sergeant at the time was 9999.

The image was taken in Iraq circa May 2006. That Jarhead Abrams was assigned to 1st Platoon, Charlie Company, 1st Tank Battalion. Their AO was the Haditha Dam and they called themselves "Haditha Dam Busters" that deployment.

Until the month prior, per the MEF CG, USMC tactical vehicles in Iraq were pure "Vanilla" with no markings authorized other than the 'USMC XXXXXX' six digit serial number. That does not imply you will not find vehicles with additional tactical markings prior to that time, just why they would be scarce. Perhaps a Company/Platoon Bumper number on a front/rear fender or Smoke Grenade Launcher storage boxes.

This hog retains the hull mounts, field applied, for Pearson Mine Plows. These were first installed on select USMC Abrams in Kuwait early 2003, prior to OIF kicking off. Beginning February 2004 they could mount the Pearson Dozer Blade. It is equipped with the LAGS (Loaders Armored Gun Shield) of the TUSK. The spare track on the turret sides has Lightened Link Center Guides.

Happy USMC modeling.

Outta here,
Miguel, aqui en Rio Rancho sends . . .

This message has been edited by mikemummey from IP address 69.3.76.35 on Sep 11, 2017 10:30 AM

Respond to this message   
Pawel "Vodnik" Krupowicz
(Login Vodnik)
Missing-Lynx members

Guides

September 12 2017, 3:13 AM 

"The spare track on the turret sides has Lightened Link Center Guides. "
Well, eight out of nine happy.gif
Pawel

Respond to this message   
Michael Mummey
(Login mikemummey)
Missing-Lynx members

Always the astute observer.

September 13 2017, 4:16 PM 

Always ;^). You did note the fume extractor is absent?

Mike sends . . .

Respond to this message   
Pawel "Vodnik" Krupowicz
(Login Vodnik)
Missing-Lynx members

Agrhhh... You made me look... :)

September 14 2017, 4:41 AM 

Luckily it's been replaced with a bore evacuator :D
Pawel

This message has been edited by Vodnik from IP address 165.72.200.11 on Sep 14, 2017 4:45 AM

Respond to this message   
Shon Stephens
(Login shonrs)
Missing-Lynx members

Nice!

September 14 2017, 1:30 PM 

Dear Michael,
Thanks a lot for posting this response. I think it will let me dig deeper. Unfortunately I just don't know enough about the Abrams to identify features. I see now the plow mounts, really good observation. Is this an M1A1?

Sincerely,
Shon

Respond to this message   
Michael E. Mummey
(Login mikemummey)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes

September 15 2017, 10:33 AM 

An M1A1 "Common" with DU turret armor making it a "Heavy". Those mounts for the Pearson Mine Plow and Combat Dozer Blade were removed from the hull front after leaving theater/rebuild. The current Blade, Direct Fit, M1 uses the existing four hull front tow hook eyes to mount the blade.

Pearson Engineering:https://www.pearson-eng.com/combat-systems/

Mike sends . . .

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse