Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

British WW2 half tracks

July 7 2012 at 2:49 PM
  (Login PWalmsley)
Missing-Lynx members

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1008800315/1009407580/Tamiya+M3+halftrack

This was great discussion back in 2001 that involved british M5/M9 /M14!

Bill Inglee's comments in particular have me wanting more info.

"By far the most numerous Brit halftracks were M14s with the anti-aircraft turret removed. In order, the numbers went, M14, M9 and M5. These are all IHC with flat fenders, rounded rear corners and banjo axles.
The crucial element when looking at pictures is the folding sides on the rear compartment. There are hinges which help identify the M14."

I am building a British 1/72 mot inf half track unit (it keeps expanding) and have painstakingly converted M3 to m5 half tracks (airfix and Italeri)
Now it seems i need some M14's! Where? Is the conversion as simple as having folding down side panels? Is the seating different?

Does the large use of M14's explain why some say British half tracks did not have pulpits? I assume the M14 with the AA gun removed did not have pulpit.

LASTLY! I have a diecast model of the M16 MGMC AA half track from Altaya. To make it an M14 do I just have to do the British (IHC) conversion? (ie rounded rear and flat mudguards?)

Any new photos of british half tracks surfaced in the last 10 years?

Paul

Pwalmsley@aol.com

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. further review - Paul on Jul 7, 3:12 PM
  3. British half-tracks/ motorized infantry - Dan Taylor on Jul 8, 4:21 AM
  5. Re: British WW2 half tracks - David Clark on Jul 9, 9:27 AM
    1. half-track questions - Dan Taylor on Jul 9, 3:23 PM
      1. Re: half-track questions - David Clark on Jul 10, 7:48 AM
        1. M9A1s Villers-Bocage - Dan Taylor on Jul 10, 11:07 AM
          1. Re: M9A1s Villers-Bocage - David Clark on Jul 11, 9:27 AM
            1. Re: M9A1 Villers-Bocage - Dan Taylor on Jul 11, 11:11 AM