Re: Churchill in Tunisa and ItalyMay 12 2017 at 10:44 PM
|Dave Haine (Login braillescaledave)|
from IP address 22.214.171.124
Response to Churchill in Tunisa and Italy
The Churchill you mention with a 3" in the turret was the Churchill I CS (close support).
Never heard of the 2 pdr being mounted in the hull, though, not sure what the point would be either- by then the Is and IIs had been replaced by the IIIs and IVs. Could see the I CS lasting into Italy- as you say each regiment had 6 'Close Support' tanks, which would be their purpose, and there seems to have never been a CS version of the IIIs and IVs
As far as I knew, the US 75mm had HE (high explosive) rounds available, so not sure that IV (NA75) equipped regiments would have needed them.
Mind you, there was a HE round available for the 6pdr- and those regiments had CS troops so...
Indeed the british 75mm had an HE round, but there was still the Churchill V and VIII with a 95mm Howitzer, so go figure....
- North Irish Horse. - Dave Rhodes on May 13, 2017, 12:17 PM
- Re: North Irish Horse. - Dave Haine on May 13, 2017, 4:48 PM
- Not reports. - Dave Rhodes on May 13, 2017, 5:40 PM
- Re: Not reports. - Dave Haine on May 15, 2017, 3:29 AM
- I thought that I read an account of that? - David Byrden on May 15, 2017, 9:21 AM