Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

8.8cm Pak 43

August 4 2017 at 8:45 AM
Dan Taylor  (Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 79.68.202.176

Response to SHELF QUEEN CHALLENGE 2017 - Week 14 of 30

Afternoon All
Apologies for my recent absence, too much on to get over the switch from Dropbox to Imgur. If you are looking at pictures below, I've cracked it...

[img][linked image]?1[/img]

As the title implies, it is an 8.8cm Pak 43 and I've had it on the go for at least twenty years. If memory serves, it may be by Barry Walby's MMS and is 1/76 scale - if you know better, please say so. I think the project originally stalled when I had misgivings over some of the details but could not find enough reference to push it to completion.

Winding forward to now, I was inspired whilst re-reading the late Ian Daglish's fine account of Operation Goodwood in Normandy. In is there is an account of the German defense of Cagny which was bolstered by the arrival of Artillerie-Pak-Abt 1039 which comprised twenty seven of these very powerful weapons. In the next 24 hours they were very heavily engaged - losing half their strength (and their commanding officer, but accounting for thirty five British tanks.

The most obvious change is the replacement of the gun with a replacement turned aluminium and brass barrel - suitably built into the recuperator housing so that it better represents 1/76 scale. I've also corrected the ammunition stowage, improved the sighting and training equipment and modified the shield so that it looks more convincing for the scale. Oh, and replaced the gun crutch.

There's still a way to go but, thanks to the advent of the internet since I started the project, it's so much easier to find that all-important image you need to get over hurdles.

[img][linked image]?2[/img]

Oddly, I've modified the size of this last image but it won't play ball. With a little scrolling you get a much better idea of how nice the barrel is.

Hope this may inspire someone to crack on with a neglected old queen - so to speak...

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Hinchliffe? - David Clark on Aug 4, 2017, 10:17 AM
    1. Re: Hinchliffe? - Dan Taylor on Aug 4, 2017, 5:29 PM
      1. Not Hincliffe... - Stefan Zadziuk on Aug 4, 2017, 6:24 PM
        1. Re: Not Hincliffe... - Dan Taylor on Aug 5, 2017, 2:55 PM
        2. A bit of history! - David Clark on Aug 5, 2017, 6:51 PM
        3. Clarification... - Stefan Zadziuk on Aug 6, 2017, 1:35 PM

2. Nice looking gun - John lewis on Aug 4, 2017, 8:42 PM
    1. Re: Nice looking gun - Dan Taylor on Aug 5, 2017, 2:59 PM