Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

Bill Evans

August 8 2017 at 6:02 PM
Gordon McLaughlin  (Login NORTHDUK)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 79.70.178.50

I received a telephone message this morning telling me of the recent death of Bill Evans. Bill's name will probably be familiar to UK modellers from his articles in Military Modelling in the 1970s. He built up a large collection of kit-built, converted and scratch-built models in 1/76 scale in the late 1960s and early 1970s but he will be best remembered for his models in larger scales. His first attempt at scratch-building in large scale was a diorama in 1/25 scale with a Chaffee and a PzKpfw IV and some American infantry. All were scratch-built and the diorama won a trophy at a BMSS National Competition. I remember him sitting at my parents' dining table with a Bellona Plan, several sheets of plastic card and a pair of dressmaking shears cutting out the parts for the Pz IV turret and assembling it in the course of the afternoon.

Bill went on to make a large number of models in 1/35 and 1/32 scales and his articles describing these were very influential in the 1970s and early 1980s in particular.

Unfortunately, Bill's health declined and he was latterly confined to a wheelchair.

He was a good friend and a skilful and enterprising modeller.

Gordon McLaughlin

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. I remember those articles from the 80's - paul bishop on Aug 9, 2017, 2:07 AM
  3. TOG. - Dave Rhodes on Aug 9, 2017, 4:09 AM
  5. Sad news... - Paul Giles on Aug 9, 2017, 5:13 AM
    1. Bill - Les Freathy on Aug 9, 2017, 12:48 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse