Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:
1.

Full real names must be used at all times.

2.
A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
3.
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

OKB Grigorov M109 Part 12 - Finished!

September 8 2017 at 10:30 AM
Will Alcott  (Login will.alcott)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 69.159.39.234


Response to SHELF QUEEN CHALLENGE 2017 - Week 19 of 30

Finally found the time to finish this one, and just in time to beat the Revell kit to market. Not sure this really counts as a shelf queen, as from start to finish it only took about 11 months.

The OKB kit is OK. It is let down by soft detail in some areas, a very poor representation of the 155 mm gun, and some shape issues with the front hull. I addressed most of hte detail issues, but didn't try to fix the hull shape. This was one of OKB's first full resin kits, and newer kits show a lot of improvement. I should have a full article on the build on OTW soon.

[linked image]

The ACAV gun shield and cupola comes from a Trumpeter kit (with PE 50-cal ammo from the OKB kit). The markings are inspired by the 1/35 Tamiya issue of the Italeri kit which includes a vehicle with the ACAV cupola.

[linked image]

I played around a lot to get a colour I was happy with - it's based on Testors Model Master Olive Drab over a black primer coat, with many thin coats applied. The final colour is probably a bit too light and chalky, but we'll call it scale effect.

[linked image]

I experimented with airbrushing Mig pigments to give a relatively light coating of dust, chiefly on the lower hull . I used Testors universal acrylic thinner as a carrier medium.

[linked image]

The serial numbers, unit codes and LIFT HERE markings were ALPS printed by a friend. The stars are from a variety of kit decal sheets. I searched through the whole decal stash to find an appropriate size of bridge classification sign, but couldn't find anything close. I ended up spraying white and yellow onto clear decal film through a circle template, and then layering the decals to give a solid colour.

[linked image]

The shelf of shelf queens is now empty (at least for armour projects - if only I had the motivation to finish some of the many stalled aircraft on the shelf). I've got three more Vietnam-era OKB kits in the stash, but think I'll take a break before tackling another one...

Will

 
 Respond to this message   
Responses

  1. Nice looking - Bob Walls on Sep 8, 2017, 10:39 AM
  2.  
  3. Looks great!!!! All that effort paid off, that will look... - Graham Mansell on Sep 8, 2017, 11:54 AM
    1. Riich M109s... - Will Alcott on Sep 8, 2017, 12:08 PM
     
  4. M109 - Tim Treadway on Sep 8, 2017, 12:03 PM
  5.  
  6. Great job! - Tim Neate on Sep 8, 2017, 4:00 PM
    1. Thanks Tim - Will Alcott on Sep 8, 2017, 5:58 PM
     
  7. Looks great! - Alex Clark on Sep 9, 2017, 2:56 AM
  8.  
  9. very nice indeed - paul bishop on Sep 9, 2017, 5:16 AM
  10.  


Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse