Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

Your not the only crazy one...I am too! ;)

September 8 2017 at 4:21 PM
Rob Pye  (Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 92.5.87.102

Response to Panther Zim sets (Revell)

I find the Dragon and Revell Panthers to each have pros and cons..and to get a good one, you need to cross-kit some things as well as use aftermarket bits and scratchbuilding.

Thus far, Mike has done zim sets for the Panther A for both the Dragon and Revell kits. Mike will also be doing a set for the Ausf G, based on the Dragon and Revell offerings.

The good thing is that Mike provides extra zim bits in each of his sets, so you do have spare material to play around with.

On the Panther Ausf G, I have tended to do a lot of refinement, using the Dragon gun mantlets over the Revell kit parts. On the side of the gun mantlet, I usually build the extra bits needed from plasticard. So cutting a special piece of zim out of the spare bits will be fairly easy.

All in all, I like both the Dragon and Revell Panther kits...and in any event, I have loads of each of them...so I need to make them work. The Revell Panther D/A has some issues but it also has some nice features that the Dragon kit doesn't have. Plus, once I add OKB drive sprockets and tracks, RB gun barrel, new periscopes, brass rod where needed, etc...and then put Mike's wonderful zimmerit patterns on the kit, well, it really does look the part.

The next task on project Panther is getting Georgi at OKB to redo his commander's cupola. The one he did was absolutely great - just was the wrong dimensions (it happens). However, both the Revell and Dragon Panthers need a new commander's cupola, so this is really a must have if you want a descent Panther.

PS The Zvezda Panther Ausf D is also a really great kit but it is such an early version that it didn't have zim.

This message has been edited by docpye2 from IP address 92.5.87.102 on Sep 8, 2017 4:24 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Crazy one (or two?) - Larry Fritz on Sep 9, 2017, 1:21 AM
    1. Panther conversion - Rob Pye on Sep 9, 2017, 3:49 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse