Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

Some answers

September 13 2017 at 4:16 AM
Simon Barnes   (Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 86.187.174.116

Response to T-55 Advice

Each kit has its more than fair share of problems, Ace is still probably the most accurate of the 3, but is harder to build, trumpeter, is easier but the engine deck is all wrong for a T 55, and Revell,.... Well it's good for bits, the other bad news is, none of them will give you what you want! For instance the turret is very specific, around the loaders hatch and is welded rather that the bolted one on the Ace and Revell kits, Tankograd do an upgrade for the T 55AM which has this type of turret, it will also give you the KTD laser range finder over the main gun, the side skirts and mounting for the smoke discharges, but not the mortars themselves, the turret comes with the horse shoe armour and extra armour for the glacis and underneath which will not be needed, but it does come with some other useful items. They also do a nice set of T 72 tracks and wheels ( but you already have them, although the Revell ones are quite good).
The best way to approach this (would have been to buy the HM model😀) is possibly the Ace upper and Trumpeter lower hulls, although I have never tried it so I am not sure how they would fit together, and then parts from the Revell kit for the fuel tanks and bins etc, the problem with the Revell kit aside from the turret issues, is that the main hull is too short, messing up the wheel spacing, if it was too short overall, you could get away with it, but it loses it length in the rear quarter of the vehicle I.e just over the engine deck alone! Forward of this the hull top is fine, the lower hull is wrong because they have tried to cram full sized wheels into a shorter space. You could correct the engine deck either by rebuilding or using one of the other kits as a donor, but the lower hull would have to come from elsewhere.
Note. Both the Ace and trumpeter kits come without the engineering attachment points on the lower hull, although wou can probably get away with this using the trumpeter KMT if not the Revell one is a separate item and with some slight modification can be fitted to either kit.
Zedval used to do a thermal jacketed main gun, but they are hard to get hold of they do also do the smoke mortars, I am sure but not certain that they did a whole set for the T 55AM main gun, mortars and antennas.

This should be mostly correct although it is from the top of my head, if I have missed anything just ask

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Cheers Simon (& buggeration)! - Andrew Smith on Sep 13, 2017, 4:03 PM
    1. Mine rollers. Guns and HM - Simon Barnes on Sep 14, 2017, 3:23 AM
      1. I could only find a KMT-7 - Andrew Smith on Sep 14, 2017, 9:08 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse