Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Revell Leopard 2A6 accuracy

May 1 2012 at 6:23 AM
Bill Scriven  (Login billscriven)
Missing-Lynx members

Having recently built the Revell Leopard 2A6 and put it alongside the old, ex-Matchbox based, Revell 2A5 it's apparent that the former is noticibly larger than the latter, particularly as regards width and height. Doug Chaltry's review of Leopard 2 kits on "On The Way" - which was written before Revell released the 2A6 - suggests that the width of the old Revell 2A5 kit is about right, but the length is too short.

I'm thinking of buying Revell's newly issued Leopard 2A5 which I assume is based on the 2A6 kit, but before doing so I'd welcome any views on the dimensional accuracy of the new Revell 2A5/A6 kits as compared with the old (ex-Matchbox) 2A4/A5.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jolyon Ralph
(Login jolyon)
Missing-Lynx members

new 2A5

May 1 2012, 6:33 AM 

> I'm thinking of buying Revell's newly issued Leopard 2A5 which I assume is based on the 2A6 kit

I wouldn't assume that - Revell have never updated a kit that they've previously released, they continue to re-release awful matchbox-based kits (M4A1, Stug IV) time and time again. Make sure the 2A5 really is a new mould before buying.

Jolyon

Respond to this message   
Bill Scriven
(Login billscriven)
Missing-Lynx members

New 2A5

May 1 2012, 7:08 AM 

Good point. I've just checked Revell's web site and it is clear that the newly released 2A5 is based on the Revell's 2A6 rather than being a reissue of the old Matchbox kit. From the pictures on the site it differs from the 2A6 kit in having new side skirts, new gun and new smoke discharges: otherwise it appears to be identical.

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login fencer)
Missing-Lynx members

Revell 2A5NL

May 1 2012, 7:31 AM 

The new A5 is correct dimensionally and it is identical to the A6 apart from a few parts like the side skirts and gun barrel, great multi part suspension but naff moulded on tools. Wheels are a bit iffy too and I don't like the track, what was wrong with link and length?

Regards,
Simon.

Don't throw away the old A5 though as a lot of A4s are being upgraded and exported.

Respond to this message   
Bill Scriven
(Login billscriven)
Missing-Lynx members

Revell 2A5NL

May 1 2012, 10:51 AM 

Thanks for the info. Out of interest, what type of track does it come with?

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login fencer)
Missing-Lynx members

Re Tracks

May 1 2012, 3:11 PM 

Hi Bill

The tracks come in 4 lengths, 2 either side to be bent round the wheels and sprocket, they are the same plastic as the kit and it suggests immersing them in hot water first. However the suspension doesn;t look very robut so I have my doubts as to how they will go on.

Regards,
Simon.

Respond to this message   
Mike Durand
(Login mdurand)
Missing-Lynx members

Bend them before mounting the ..

May 1 2012, 5:07 PM 

sprocket or return roller. Drip the tracks in hot water or use a hair dryer(when the wife is out of course)to bend the tracks around the sprocket/return roller. I found that I could hold the tracks around the sp/rr with my fingers until cool and set. Then glue the track to the drive sprocket. run the top straight track off the sprocket to the roller and position the curved trackfor a good fit. then add the rest of the track

Mike

Respond to this message   
Stefano Dell'Acqua
(Login h2oste)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Revell 2A5NL

May 2 2012, 3:42 AM 

Hello Simon,
in a previous thread
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1320335522/Some+little+differences...
I posted the results of a comparison with Tamiya drawings of the 2A6 and i was surprised to find many shortcomings with the new Revell; had you a chance to compare it with more reliable sources than mine?
Thanks!
Stefano

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login fencer)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Stefano

May 2 2012, 7:43 AM 

I have not had chance to correctly measure up the kit yet, I just did a compare on the width and length, I have not had chance to check it against any drawings yet. I have no bible for the Leopard as such and due to the variations in dimensions given by various source, I usually go for an average. That said, the Revell kit was ok in width but slightly short in length, but the hull isn't made up yet, whether that will add to the length I will wait and see. There will be a review on "ontheway" soon now that I have the Warrior out the way (for now)

Regards,
Simon.

Respond to this message   
Stefano Dell'Acqua
(Login h2oste)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Simon

May 2 2012, 8:44 AM 

Hello Simon,
as I wrote, I do not have sure datas at hand; for sure the Revell looks better, but Tamiya and Dragon are similar and different from Revell's.
Waiting for your review on OTW!
Cheers
Stefano

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login fencer)
Missing-Lynx members

hold the phone

May 2 2012, 9:55 AM 

Hi Stefano
I have just spent the morning measuring the Revell kit (nothing better to do) and it is off in length, in fact the turret lines up as do the engine details the wheels intervals, turret and all, are spot on. the width is correct, tracks are about 0.3mm too thin,wheels are ok in size but of centre and the wheel nuts are too close to the hub. Where the it falls down is the rear, I am not sure if it is just at the wrong angle but the large exhaust/cooling lovers don't come back far enough. part 5 the rear plate wants to be the same distance again out.

Hope you can understand what I mean?

Regards
Simon

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse