Untill group/collection pics is revisited I thought I could share with you all my largest scratchbuilt wheeled vehicle.
It was made in 1993 and took about one year to finish.
I started with a 1/72 drawing that I found at a TWENTOT meeting in Rotterdam as a template , making two central beams in cross section first for the hull on which I attached the rest of the armor. (See the last picture for a underside/cross section view) The turret was built-up likewise.
The big gun was made-up in many sections taking good care to keep it straight, and it is moveable. The muzzle is a thinned and cut-short 1/35 PzKfw IV F2 barrel...
I could not have started at all without proper wheels. The shape remainded me of the 1/35 Tamya Pink Panther Landrover kit that my father owned. It turned out those wheels were just perfect to represent that big, round desert sand wheels !!
Ordered 6 of them, including steering mechanism and the Dutch Tamya importer was so kind to deliver them, payed for with some of my study finance...
Then I ran into a problem : No drawing or pic of the backside... Being way before the internet age I decided to try to get the address of the ARMSCOR factory and called-up the South African embassy in the Netherlands to ask for it...
As this all took place in the "Apartheid" system (and mr. Mandela sound and safe imprisonned at "Robbenisland") one can imagine the cautious reaction of the S.A. embassy personnel when a young Dutchman called them to ask for the address of their major weapons factory !!
Supprisingly, after explaining about my 1/72 braille model issue they gave me the sales address of the ARMSCOR factory and I then sent them a letter with a picture of my unfinished model, asking for some more info.
Chances are : they sent a whole package of original sales brochures to me, not only of the G 6 Rhino but also of the Rooikat 8X8 76 mm AT vehicle!! Mind you, these vehicles at that time were only in advanced prototype/pre-production stage !! With enough money I could have bought me a brand new 1:1 one....
The backside was now made and a whole lot of detail added I never knew of, like the blue tinted glass and the front steering and suspension details. The frontwheels were made to steer and also the turret range finder boxlid was made moveable.
Vehicle was finished as a pre-production model as featured in the brochures in Tamya Buff sandcolor. A base with a tree was made and I spend some more of my study finance to purchase a custom made engraved name plate.
With all the info at hand I then decided to make the ROOIKAT too and that will be covered next week.
I hope not to have bored you all with a long story but for me it is still my No 1 scratchbuild in finish, detail and researchwork !
Regards, Alfred van Netburg.