Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Revell Stalingrad Battle Pzkpfw III & T-34 & Figures

June 26 2012 at 12:38 PM
  (Login sky303)
Missing-Lynx members

Revell is packaging two of it's tank kits with figures and a base and calling it Stalingrad.

If I am not mistaken, I believe they picked the wrong T-34 for this set. It's the T-34/85, but the instructions show it with markings for Stalingrad.

Were there T-34/85s at Stalingrad prior to January, 1943?

Here is the PDF link to the instruction manual. The T-34 painting and marking guide is on pages 9 & 10.

http://www.revell.de/manual/03189.PDF

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Versiani)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Revell Stalingrad Battle Pzkpfw III & T-34 & Figures

June 26 2012, 1:40 PM 

The T34/85 started to see combat only in January 1944.

Respond to this message   

(Login sky303)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks!

June 26 2012, 2:05 PM 

I thought maybe I was not right...

Respond to this message   

(Login DObarr)
Missing-Lynx members

The German Infantry is "Late War" as well.

June 26 2012, 8:57 PM 

Not accurate at all. The should have used their "Panzer Granadier" set and used an earlier T-34 version. Oh well. I guess the T-34/85 is their only WWII Russian Armor.

Respond to this message   

(Login Przemos19)
Missing-Lynx members

T-34/76

June 27 2012, 12:28 AM 

They have ex-Matchbox T-34/76 1/76 scale with postwar MG on turret top (taken from T-34/85 notabene).

Respond to this message   

(Login BProbst)
Missing-Lynx members

Not worth the bother

June 28 2012, 12:40 AM 

Unfortunately, the ex-Matchbox T-34/76 is a pretty dreadful representation of a T-34.

Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My modelling portfolio:http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/about22022.html

Respond to this message   

(Login Sergey_Dolzhin)
Missing-Lynx members

panzerfaust

June 27 2012, 1:33 AM 

As I remember in winter 1942/43 during final stage of Stalingrad battle, panzerfaust was not in use also. Revell's joking with this kit.

Respond to this message   

(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Reality.

June 27 2012, 5:54 PM 

What could go wrong,has gone wrong! But in reality these sets are aimed at the youngsters who want to "play with the tanks and soldiers. Most of us started out modelling that way and if it encourages others to become modellers in there own right then in my book thats a good thing. Give them a break, at least they are on the right track.

Respond to this message   

(Login neilyall)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Reality.

June 27 2012, 6:56 PM 

Hello

Yes I think the the title of the kit 'Stalingrad' is just marketing to give it a broad appeal.

And 99% of the public would be unaware that some of the kit's contents are a year or so later than Stalingrad.

If Revell called it 'Operation Bagration' or 'The Memel Offensive' it might more accurately match the contents - but it would hardly have the same marketing impact as 'Stalingrad Battle' to the mass market that they hope to sell these sets to.

cheers
Neil

Respond to this message   

(Login drew.gleason)
Missing-Lynx members

But is it a deal?

June 27 2012, 7:20 PM 

With apologies to the historical accuracy of the combination, those are two really excellent 1/72 tank kits. I can't speak to the infantry. I'm curious what this set will retail for, because it could be quite a nice deal if it's priced well below the combined prices of the separate kits. I'm sure most folks could scrounge appropriate decals for the T-34 (or just build it without markings, which would fit the type just fine).

Then again, given Revell's price trends in the past 5 years, I won't hold my breath for a bargain.

EDIT: Something funny I just noticed. The T-34/85 shown in parts breakdown/assembly is a late-model, consistent with Revell's previously-released kit. But the one shown in the painting guide is initial production, with the D-5T gun, rounded front fenders, and forward-placed cupola. I strongly doubt that Revell has re-engineered their kit, so it's probably just an error in the painting guide, but it's strange, nonetheless.

Respond to this message   

(Login neilyall)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: But is it a deal?

June 27 2012, 10:11 PM 

Hello

thats a good question

I'm not a wargamer, and the types of dioramas I build have no room or use for the 'action' or 'combat' poses that come in Revell figure sets.

And its not worthwhile for me to buy these types of figure kits and modify them when other makers produce good quality ready to paint figures in 'non fighting' poses.

There are plenty of wargamers out there who might be interested if the sum of everything in the box is considerably less than if bought individually, though most wargamers tend to stick to one side (?) so would wind up with spares or swaps..

Again I think its the mass appeal market that will buy these, unless the set is so well priced that the figures are a 'giveaway', which somehow seems unlikely.

cheers
Neil

Respond to this message   
Billy Roe
(Login mrroe)
Missing-Lynx members

Revell box sets...

June 28 2012, 1:52 PM 

...I dont know about this one but the famo + gun works out noticeably cheaper than two seperate kits, 5 euros or so.

Respond to this message   

(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

Price of the set...

June 28 2012, 10:03 AM 

This set has been on the shelves here in Vienna for a week or two, at 30 Euro.

Revell seem to specify the pricing of their kits, which is uniform across the city here, so I guess we can translate that into your context by noting it's exactly the same price as the Ar 196 and Ventura (and the SA330 Puma).

David

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Revell Stalingrad Battle Pzkpfw III & T-34 & Figures
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse