Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mesh Screens... any help / advice ?

July 4 2012 at 10:19 PM
Bob Searson  (Login Quentin30)
Missing-Lynx members

All this talk of SdKfz 7's has me wanting to build a decent 7/1. can anybody recommend wire mesh that I can use to make the side screens ? And/or where I can buy some from...

I know there are etched brass sets out there, but those are pretty pricey.

Thanks in anticipation

Q

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
george burrough
(Login georgeburrough)
Missing-Lynx members

try hop bags

July 5 2012, 5:57 AM 

Bob,

I went to a shop that sold home made brewing materials. They had very fine mesh bags used for hops in beer making. Worked for me, and very, very cheap. Also being plastic, I was able to glue them to strip plasticard. I used it to make the side screens for an S+S sdkfz 10/2 and the 'cage' at the back of the deck on a Fujimi pz 1 self propelled anti tank gun,

regards

George

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille

Would these help...

July 5 2012, 7:24 AM 

Hi Bob,

Firstly, where do you reside? I ask because I have some silk tea bags that were from some very expensive Twinings tea (I didn't pay the full price, which was £7.50 a box!), the mesh is very fine and being silk it should stick with superglue quite well. It will take paint and looks quite convincing, if you want some I am more than happy to post them to you from the UK.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Would these help...

July 5 2012, 9:05 AM 

Paul, I am also looking for mesh materials for the same project...could you spare some of these posh teabags for me??? I am happy to cover your postage costs to London. Thanks in advance. Rob

Respond to this message   
José Teixidó A.K.A. SGT Braille
(Login Blitz72.com)
Missing-Lynx members

Rob, do you have a Starbucks shop nearby?

July 7 2012, 12:02 PM 

If you do, go there and get a tea, then take the little bag with you. That is what I use and it works awesome... you can dip it in a mix of water/white glue let it dry for stiffness.

http://www.blitz72.com/2011/detailing-italeri-sd-kfz-186-jagdtiger-331-part-2/

Take a look at the deck on my Jagdpanther and you will see it, it is far better and much finer than any photo-etch I could find.

HTH

SGT Braille SGT Braille

Respond to this message   
David Clark
(Login DavidJClark)
Missing-Lynx members

The Mesh Company

July 5 2012, 8:26 AM 

Bob

I haven't tried these products yet but other modellers have commented favourably.

http://www.themeshcompany.com/

cheers

David

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: The Mesh Company

July 5 2012, 9:06 AM 

Dave, which of the mesh material is suitable for 1/72...and 1/48 for that matter???

Respond to this message   
Bob Searson
(Login Quentin30)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks to all for your advice (eom)

July 5 2012, 6:38 PM 

Respond to this message   
Sean Brannin
(Login SeanEBrannin)
Missing-Lynx members

auto paint strainers

July 5 2012, 6:52 PM 

teh paper cone type. They have a nylon mesh in them that is very fine. Also you can get a pack of 4 for a dollar at most home improvement stores.

Respond to this message   
Sergey Dolzhin
(Login Sergey_Dolzhin)
Missing-Lynx members

Ikea

July 6 2012, 5:31 AM 

Follow to the link in this article, Ikea could help you)))

http://acemodel.com.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse