Im sure youve all had a flight of fancy that took you away from your original modelling goal. It would be reassuring if you could confirm that though.
As you may be aware, Ive been building a Bedford QLR. Its been going quite well but I decided it needed a dispatch rider standing outside the vehicle, talking to one of the figures inside. This is a good thing because Ive been working on a set of DRs for my figure range and so this looked like the impetus to complete the task.
I got out my bits and pieces for figure modelling and then started to look through my reference. It is unclear where After the Battles books on the Blitx would have helped finding pictures of DRs in Normandy but, as I leafed through, a picture of a British policeman caught my eye.
After a bit of kneading and carving, I had an approximation of the figure. Having done a policeman in a tin hat, another one in a proper bobbys helmet, complete with trench coat seemed a good idea. Then another one directing traffic. I like to do sets of five, so to complete the set, a couple of ARP Wardens were quickly whittled.
At this point, it was clear that a distance had been put between me and the original plan. Unable to resolve that distance, the next thing to do seemed to be to make a scene for the figures to inhabit once they had been cast. Here is the result. Note that there is no QLR, no police figures, no ARPs. It does, on the other hand, show some of my poster sets in use so it wasnt a complete waste of time
The two standing figures are from a Preiser kit of 1920s Aircraft Passengers. I've switched the woman's head and added a gas mask case. The man has had his suit altered a little including the provision of turn-ups on his trousers. Also added are an attache case and a gas mask case. The third figure is a cab driver, of which more later.
The shops are from a Wills set of Stations Forecourt shops. They are built pretty much per the instructions, then clear plastic sheet was used to create windows and tiny strips of masking tape was used to recreate anti-shattering tape. The etched shop sign comes from a Scale Link set. The telephone kiosk is another Wills set. The base is made of loft insulation foam board, the pavement, low wall and fence from plastic card suitably carved.
The Austin taxi is a die-cast model by Oxford. I disassembled it to paint the interior better, install a driver and replace the steering wheel with one of my etched brass items. The driver was a little more involved. I used one of the figures from my British MT Drivers, removing uniform details, carving him so that he sat at the right height in the cab, then adding a coat and scarf. He was finished with a head with a cloth cap from the same Preiser set mentioned above. It all became a bit sad when I realized I was giving the driver back-story as I painted his scarf light yellow and imagined that it was probably a present from his wife. I need to get out more. The tyres were painted grey and the vehicle generally dirtied and toned down to make it more in keeping with its environment. This was mainly done with oil washes and dry brushing.
The colour tones are based on the dark burnt brick prevelent in London in the first half of the last century and the shades chosen to match. The posters are from my two British Homefront poster sets -http://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/posters-34-c.asp
- whilst other signs were made up in Corel Draw.
I will finish the QLR soon, I promise. Unless....
All the best