Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Villers-Bocage Diorama Part 2

June 21 2016 at 10:17 AM
Dan Taylor  (Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 79.68.192.15

Hello All
As mentioned in the previous post, I thought a layout would be interesting to show you where the diorama is going. It's just set out on the floor at the moment but I have a section of foam-board cut out in order to duplicate the hill on which the town lies. Here's the general layout:
[linked image]
The two German tanks are on the high street having passed the square in which Bill Cotton and his troop have been lying in wait. The Firefly will be up against the side of the shop facing onto the high street. The Mairie is set back from the high street with an area of pavement in front, forming a piazza effect. Note the 6-pdr hiding in the lane on the far side.

Here's a picture of the Mairie as it was before the RAF visited. I have three or four similar images from which I have made the building.
[linked image]

On the western face of the square, this shop faces on to the high street just where the Tiger and Pz IV were stopped.
[linked image]

An this shows the relative location of those two tanks based on the Bundesarchiv picture of them after the battle.
[linked image]

Next time I'll try to progress things so that the base is roughed out to give you an idea of the slope. The Pz IV is another Revell kit and is a really impressive piece of moulding. It's very crisp and precise and a very close match for the version in the pictures. I'll post something about this as well.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bob marvin
(Login robertmarvin)
Missing-Lynx members

Impressive!

June 21 2016, 12:06 PM 

Wow. Massive scope. I'm looking forward to watching the progress on this one. Do you plan to do a backdrop on two sides, or are the walls merely for photography purposes? Will this end up in the museum?

Of course if you get bored and want a bit of fun, there's always a vignette of the Illustrated New's "Sci-Fi" pic of the mighty ( happy.gif )Covenanter blowing away the Tiger...

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Impressive!

June 21 2016, 12:16 PM 

Hello Bob
Thanks for the comment. The display cabinet into which this will go has glass on three sides and I was going to use the back wall for a caption explaining what's going on. So yes, it is intended as a an exhibit in the museum.

The ILN drawing must have been created by one of the Covenanter's design team - surely they are the only ones who could imagine such a scene.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Philippe Bonnet
(Login philippebonnet)
Missing-Lynx members

yes, impressive is the word ! nt

June 21 2016, 2:59 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Merci Philippe ......n/t

June 21 2016, 5:12 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
paul bishop
(Login paul_bish)
Missing-Lynx members

wow!!!!!!!

June 21 2016, 3:00 PM 

your not doing this by halves are you!!

Going to be a fantastic representation of this aspect of the battle and a real reason why I think "our scale" is best for dioramas like this

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: wow!!!!!!!

June 21 2016, 5:14 PM 

Hi Paul
Thanks for that. You are spot-on about the ideal scale for dioramas, so much more you can do.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille

Great stuff...

June 21 2016, 3:13 PM 

Hi Dan,

This looks really good already! I will be following your methodology closely as I want to do a somewhat smaller diorama set in a small French hamlet. The buildings are really nicely done, do you use foam-board for the basis of these buildings? Also what do you use for windows and doors? A wonderful project and one that will inspire many of us to have a go as well.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Great stuff...

June 21 2016, 5:19 PM 

Hi Paul
Thanks for the kind words - it does seem to be coming together. Is there a specific hamlet you are looking to model or are you trying something generic?

These buildings are from plastic card, though I've just started to use a product called Foamex. It is used by the printing trade and is really good to work with. It is like plastic card that has very fine bubbles in it. Very easy to cut and work, very light, comes in a variety of thicknesses and seems to work well when being skimmed with textured plastic cards. I have some 4mm material which is a great thickness for buildings in our scale.

The doors too are plastic card though I will be employing some etched brass window frames and shutters.

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   
Graham Mansell
(Login GMansell)
Missing-Lynx members

This is going to be great....

June 21 2016, 4:07 PM 

...can't wait to see it all go together. A small piece of history captured in model form!!

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: This is going to be great....

June 21 2016, 5:20 PM 

Hello Graham
Thanks for the encouragement. Still lots to do so the positive energy from all your messages helps push me along.

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   
Yann Jouault
(Login 101yann)
MODERATORS ONLY - French forum Moderators

Truly amazing !

June 21 2016, 5:57 PM 

Hey Dan

this looks very promising. The Mairie alone is freakin' outstanding !
I really can't wait to see the whole scenery when it is finished. What a project !

Just an observation regarding the final locations of the Tiger and the Panzer IV, it seems to me they ought to be a little further down the street :

photo Mairie_1b_zpsauaaid5j.jpg

photo Mairie_2b_zpsefganrh1.jpg

What d'you think ?

Keep up the great work
A+
Yann

This message has been edited by 101yann from IP address 109.218.232.170 on Jun 21, 2016 6:29 PM

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Truly amazing !

June 22 2016, 12:19 AM 

Salut Yann
Thanks for that, I thought it might appeal to you. I'd certainly agree with your locations but the case into which this has to fit limits the width of the diorama. I don't think the right context is created without at least a portion of the building on the eastern edge of the square. The main thing I'm looking to show is Bill Cotton and Bob Bramall setting light to the Tiger.

One thing that is still being worked on which your opinion would be valuable: I only have one, distant picture of the building on the Eastern side of the square. Do you know of anything pre-battle that might help.

I hope you have noted that I'm in the process of correcting the track guards based on your recent post.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Yann Jouault
(Login 101yann)
MODERATORS ONLY - French forum Moderators

Re: Truly amazing !

June 22 2016, 7:47 AM 

Hi Dan,

of course I understand the limits tou have to work with, but my right hand was getting too itchy and so I had to post that anyway! wink.gif

Yes I saw your correction on the RHS track guards - nice one -, but as life and the Euro (the soccer tournament, not the bl... currency) is somewhat getting in the way these days, it was late in the eveving and simply forgot to mention it.
Can't wait to see your work on the first two damaged segments now....

About the buildings on the eastern side of the Mairie, it's one of those elusive areas and I don't think I have much but I will definitely go back to my vault tonight and see what I can find.
I will get back to you on this asap.

A plus tard donc.......

Cheers
Yann
101xxxyann@wanadoo.fr (delete xxx)

Respond to this message   
Bas Slaats
(Login Bas_Slaats)
Missing-Lynx members

small scale

June 21 2016, 6:08 PM 

Some people just call it "small scale", but I think this will end up as one of the biggest achievements in scale modelling for the next decade...

Best regards, Bas
"Perfect is the enemy of done"

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: small scale

June 22 2016, 12:20 AM 

Hello Bas
Thanks for that. After this kind of build-up I'd better do a good job!

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Lovely Jubbly

June 21 2016, 7:25 PM 

Dan theat Mairie is a piece of Art on its own,
look forward to seeing this amazing Dio expand
& how the Panzer IV progresses
are the Allied tanks/gun in 'location' too?
Cheers Elliott

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Lovely Jubbly

June 22 2016, 12:25 AM 

Hi Elliott
Thanks for that. It's a fascinating challenge working on buildings that only appear in photographs and so a big relief that they are meeting with approval. The Allied equipment is approximately in their final spot. There will likely be some adjustment once the full scene is done so that they make whatever tactical sense can be achieved.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

Amazing!

June 21 2016, 8:01 PM 

The detail in the front of the Mairie is truly amazing Dan.....a real work of art. I really admire your ability to do these historically accurate dioramas....extremely well done so far. I'm really looking forward to the next update.

Cheers,

Neil

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Amazing!

June 22 2016, 12:26 AM 

Hi Neil
High praise from one of the masters in the field! Thanks for that, much appreciated.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse