Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Opinions sought on Lancer Matilda II (for BEF)

September 29 2016 at 8:55 PM
George Buzby  (Login Gbuzby)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 173.73.137.11

I recently purchased the Lancer Miniatures' Matilda II, because it was touted as suitable for the BEF in France in 1940. Please tell me, if you think it looks suitable for the role.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Thank you,

George

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew Lang
(Login andrewjnlang)
Missing-Lynx members

Crude appearance

September 30 2016, 3:49 AM 

George

The features seem right for a BEF Matilda - unditching tail, Vickers MG, AEC exhausts, the absence of a turret ventilator. It could do with the trackguard extensions seen on many Matildas in France and the hinges on the six engine deck louvres should be removed. The hinges on the side armour suspension access hatches should be shortened.

More fundamentally, however, it looks very crude & chunky in your photos: I realise that you have just blu-tak'd the parts in place for the pictures. I would expect a better product nowadays. Sorry.

Andy Lang

Respond to this message   
Petr Vanek
(Login Petr_Vanek)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Crude appearance

September 30 2016, 9:04 AM 

Seconding Andy's opinion about the appearance: It looks as crisp as a cream cake to me... wink.gif

Respond to this message   
George Buzby
(Login Gbuzby)
Missing-Lynx members

A little sanding would help?

September 30 2016, 1:49 PM 

Andy,

Thank you for the detailed response. I suppose the six hinges on the engine deck louvers could easily be sanded off. I'm less should about those on the side armor.

I agree that it's a little rough, but what other option is there?

Kind regards,

George

This message has been edited by Gbuzby from IP address 134.11.51.27 on Sep 30, 2016 1:49 PM

Respond to this message   
PatBeirter
(Login PatBierter)
Missing-Lynx members

Early war AFV kits, and one way how they can be rated

September 30 2016, 2:58 PM 

Andy, ever since reading B. T. White's book on "Blitzkrieg AFVs", I have been interested in early war armour. Only in recent years significant numbers of kits have become widely available, so good times for me.

It is also good times for me because of guys like you. I appreciate the time you into an answer from which many can learn a thing or two about BEF Matildas, and the PzKfw 35 (t) review you posted earlier. Lacking space and funds for a bigger AFV library, I will file your info carefully for future projects. So, a belated "thank you" for that, and to George for sharing the images.

What I'd like to suggest is being a little bit more generous about manufacturers' efforts. There is a general tendency to trash any kit so one could have the impression nearly all braille scale kits on the market are rubbish. I prefer to think about it like this: The advanced modellers (which dominate the postings on this DG) can always make a show winner out of a sow's ear - and the less gifted can be happy enough with a (hopefully) easy build like this one.

I for one would be happy enough with this kit: As George said, what 1/72 alternatives are there? (Here's hope for S Model to do one.) Regards, Pat

Respond to this message   
Andrew Lang
(Login andrewjnlang)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Pat, George

September 30 2016, 5:09 PM 

Hi George, Pat

I really don’t take any pleasure in making such comments, hence the ‘sorry’ at the end of my post. I do so after years of disappointment in ordering resin kits sight unseen, and then having been underwhelmed on opening the package. Of course, things have got better with the internet. I do like to acknowledge good kits, hence my positive comments about the F2F Pz.Kpfw.35(t), S-Models stuff and OKB Grigorov AM material in recent months.

Sadly, I don’t think that we will see a BEF Matilda from S-Models. It would require quite a re-tool of the existing kit and I think that they chose the later version because there are potentially more variants that they could do. However, I think that the BEF Matilda is a popular subject and I believe that one of the aftermarket providers will offer a conversion kit for the S-Models Matilda in time.

To put a bit more flesh on the bones of my earlier comments about the Matilda details: the hinges on the engine deck louvres can be seen in a well-known overhead photo of an early Matilda, but I recall someone like Bob Gregory saying that they were very uncommon. The small size of the brackets on the suspension access hatches is apparent in the photos below (via Will Ward) – one can also just about make out the absence of the hinges on the engine deck louvres in the first image.

I apologise again if you felt that I was off the mark with my earlier comments.

Andy Lang

Matilda II (3)

Matilda II (2)

Respond to this message   
PatBeirter
(Login PatBierter)
Missing-Lynx members

No worries mate

October 2 2016, 1:29 PM 

I feel your pain about being disappointed after opening a box, especially if it is an expensive resin kit (with no review online)!

Thanks for the images - much appreciated. Regards, Pat

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse