Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Villers-Bocage Diorama Pt 11 - Detailing the buildings

February 16 2017 at 12:21 PM
Dan Taylor  (Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 79.68.192.222

Afternoon All
A bit of a picture heavy update. I've been tinkering with the buildings around the square to raise the level of detail and my obsessive/compulsive traits are beginning to show:

[linked image]
The corner shop - its going to be a Cordonnier or cobbler - has got to the stage where I can add details and interior. You'll notice the addition of etched brass window rails and some dirtying-up of the walls and pavement.
[linked image]
To dress the windows I've made up a somewhat distressed boxed-in frame which will help to make the interior look filled.
[linked image]
And here it is temporarily fitted in place.

[linked image]
On the opposite corner the damage to the building means that I'm going to have to provide a bit more detail for the interior. This time I've decked out the window display with a broken framework and have made a cabinet for the rear wall and a counter. You'll notice some pre-attached debris. There will be more.
[linked image]
And again, test fitted.
[linked image]
Viewed from the opposite side you get an idea of how it will look completed. There is a black blanking panel which will box in the open end of the building.

[linked image]
The barn in the rear corner is nearly done now. I'll be adding the edge of a garden behind the railing and may have a hint of some ivy climbing the inner wall.

[linked image]
Across the other rear corner, the garage has received a rusty tin roof. It will need to be a little dirtier in due course but probably not until I start fitting the buildings in place.

[linked image]
The final building will block in the Cordonnier shop. It is about to receive its final paint coat which will be a relief as I've had about enough of painting stonework for the time being.

Thanks for taking a look through.

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
john lewis
(Login johosjokers)
Missing-Lynx members

Detailing the buildings:

February 16 2017, 12:35 PM 

looking great (as usual).
Basically, this depicts the end of the days battle, but before the brits withdrew?
Looking foreward to the next update.
jl

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Detailing the buildings:

February 16 2017, 12:59 PM 

Hello John
Thanks for that. Yes, It will be late afternoon after fighting had died down but before the withdrawal. There must have been a quiet period towards the end because Bill Cotton managed to take a couple of pictures of the abandoned Tigers - one presumes he wouldn't have been able to do that (or set the German tanks alight) if things had still been fractious in the high street.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille

Simply stunning...

February 16 2017, 2:04 PM 

Hi Dan,

This is a wonderful blog of how to create and detail buildings, I am taking notes and making plans - for the future. I will, at some future date, be putting all this information into action, once I have cleared all my backlog of stuff. I want to create a village square like this one for posing models for photography and I also want to create a village with the German army retreating after the Normandy campaign. All the materials you use are easily obtainable, which is the real plus with this project, no expensive items, just imagination and a lot of patience. Well done so far, it is a stunning project and I look forward to the next update with eager anticipation.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Simply stunning...

February 16 2017, 5:34 PM 

Hello Paul
I'm really pleased to hear you are finding it useful. It looks like I'd be crazy not to produce some of the architectural fixtures and fittings - most of the brass bits are already created. Hopefully they may be of use to further your plans. I like your ideas - there are plenty of photographs on which you could base those kinds of dioramas.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Tony Barton
(Login TBarton)
Missing-Lynx members

such professionalism

February 16 2017, 3:10 PM 

These are truly impressive pieces of modelmaking , by any standards. Don't worry Dan , we're all Ob/Comp, or we wouldn't be here!

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: such professionalism

February 16 2017, 5:36 PM 

Hello Tony
Very pleased to hear you like the work so far. It's almost time to start bringing all the elements together, so an end is in sight.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Stefan Zadziuk
(Login stefzadziuk)
Missing-Lynx members

Truly exceptional......!

February 16 2017, 5:24 PM 

Beautiful work Dan, really inspirational. As Tony says, OCD seems to be the norm happy.gif

I've been saving each of your "Villers Bocage Diorama Pt.." threads and have them in chronological order so that I can refer back to these threads easily for 'How to references' (and just drool of course). Hope the images don't disappear with time.

Thanks for sharing this amazing work.

All the best
Stefan

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Truly exceptional......!

February 16 2017, 5:38 PM 

Hello Stefan
Thanks for your kind comments - I'm very pleased to hear that you think it so useful. I'll have to organise another museum open day so that you can come and see it in the flesh once it is done.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

Stunning Modeling!

February 16 2017, 7:09 PM 

Sorry, Dan....out of superlatives but this is what I want to do when I grow up!

Cheers,

Neil

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Stunning Modeling!

February 17 2017, 12:58 AM 

Hello Neil
That's pretty much my problem when looking at your models!

God forbid we should grow up.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
al magnus
(Login one72guy)
Missing-Lynx members

I'm just drooling in anticipation...

February 16 2017, 8:02 PM 

... of seeing these and everything else put together in the dio.

al

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: I'm just drooling in anticipation...

February 17 2017, 12:59 AM 

Hello Al
It strikes me that this long, drawn out series is a bit of a tease. I really do hope you are sated by the conclusion.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Pleasure.

February 17 2017, 5:48 AM 

Simply a pleasure to watch this unfold post by post, amazing work Dan.

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Pleasure.

February 17 2017, 1:50 PM 

Hello Dave
Thanks for that - I've had a bit of a purple patch getting things done - must be due to the amount of support the project is getting!

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Peter Sisung
(Login petersisung)
Missing-Lynx members

Absolutely beautiful, and inspriring!

February 17 2017, 7:20 AM 

Beautiful subtly in color tone variation on your buildings, and incredibly well constructed to boot. If one didn't know better, the pics could pass as 1/35 scale. Am enjoying these posts very much!

Cheers,
Peter

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Absolutely beautiful, and inspriring!

February 17 2017, 1:52 PM 

Hello Peter
Glad to hear you are enjoying the techniques. I've actually been experimenting a little with some of T-izumis brush painting ideas. Thanks for commenting.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

outstanding work!

February 17 2017, 9:07 AM 

Looks really good even at this stage of construction. Can't wait to see a Tiger or two!

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: outstanding work!

February 17 2017, 1:54 PM 

Hello Kevin
Your kind comments are much appreciated. It's all been coming together today and so I'll try to post something with the vehicles over the weekend.

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   
Graham Mansell
(Login GMansell)
Missing-Lynx members

Fantastic work!!! But I am a bit concerned...

February 17 2017, 9:39 AM 

...about you having time to do the etch for the CMPs?????
Seriously, that is super construction work this is going to be a mind blowing diorama!!
I would love to see some etch for these kits, is it possible to get realistic screen for the rad covers?
Cheers

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse