Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Churchill in Tunisa and Italy

May 12 2017 at 6:05 PM
James Pratt  (Login JamesAPrattIII)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 67.239.79.110

I am going one day to build the Dragon Churchill IV NA 75 and paint it XF-13 as the instructions say. This looks like the dark green they were painted. I am also planning to repaint my old kits Esci Churchill III and Hasegawa Churchill I. From what I have read all 3 vehicles were used in Italy and the I and III were used in Tunisa. As for the Churchill I it seems each regiment had 6 for use in the CS role. In Tunisa they were used 2 pounder in the turret and 3 inch in the hull. Some may have had the guns switched 2 pdr in hull and 3 inch in the turret. There is a picture of a Churchill I in Italy with 3 inchers in both the turret and hull. Any comments?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave Haine
(Login braillescaledave)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Churchill in Tunisa and Italy

May 12 2017, 10:44 PM 

The Churchill you mention with a 3" in the turret was the Churchill I CS (close support).

Never heard of the 2 pdr being mounted in the hull, though, not sure what the point would be either- by then the Is and IIs had been replaced by the IIIs and IVs. Could see the I CS lasting into Italy- as you say each regiment had 6 'Close Support' tanks, which would be their purpose, and there seems to have never been a CS version of the IIIs and IVs

As far as I knew, the US 75mm had HE (high explosive) rounds available, so not sure that IV (NA75) equipped regiments would have needed them.

Mind you, there was a HE round available for the 6pdr- and those regiments had CS troops so...

Indeed the british 75mm had an HE round, but there was still the Churchill V and VIII with a 95mm Howitzer, so go figure....

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

North Irish Horse.

May 13 2017, 12:17 PM 

Try putting North Irish Horse into your search bar for Churchill results. Apart from that Churchills in North Africa and Italy could be seen as you say with the 3" and two pounder reversed, 2 x 3" howitzers and if you look at photographs carefully you may well spot the early Chuchill Turret with the Panzer 3 cupola mounted too. Lots of fun with Churchill tanks.

Respond to this message   
Dave Haine
(Login braillescaledave)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: North Irish Horse.

May 13 2017, 4:48 PM 

Did that- didn't see any II CS (the one with the 2pdr in the hull). Which is not surprising because my contact, (an retired Vauxhall Archivist) was adamant that there were only prototypes produced, no serial production. After the I CS (the one with two 3" Howitzers) the next CS variants were the V and VIII with 95mm howitzer.

Just to really muddy the waters, all the NA75 conversions were on MkIV turrets, but some of these were placed on MkIII hulls.

There were also approved modifications putting the MkVII Cupola on MkIII turrets, and earlier marks. (Which may account for the P3 cupola reports).

There were some 6pdr guns which were rebored to 75mm too- can't imagine how long they lasted.

This is without all the additional armour packs that may well have been added to earlier variants.

As DR says- lots of fun with Churchills.

The real shame is, Unlike the Sherman, though no RAF variants.

This message has been edited by braillescaledave from IP address 151.225.109.25 on May 13, 2017 4:51 PM

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Not reports.

May 13 2017, 5:40 PM 

Hi Dave, i have seen photos of the Churchill Mk 1/2 with the Panzer 3 cupola, cannot recall where as it was many years back but the tank was in Italy and the unit was captioned as RIH. It was Gordon Brown who first pointed out the first photo, a side view, no mistaking it at all. Panzer 3 cupola.This was on a MK 1 turret not a 3.

Respond to this message   
Dave Haine
(Login braillescaledave)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Not reports.

May 15 2017, 3:29 AM 

Bit more searching and I've come across a photo- front view of a I CS with what most definately looks like a panzer 3 cupola- which makes me wonder, given that modification states for British vehicles were qiute tightly controlled, and it would have been a fair bit of work, if it was an official modification, And how many were actually done.

Can't see the name of the tank because it's covered with people....

Respond to this message   
David Byrden
(Login DavidByrden)
Missing-Lynx members

I thought that I read an account of that?

May 15 2017, 9:21 AM 

The Churchill crewman remembered adding Pz.3 cupolas to some of their tanks simply because they found some abandoned Pz.3. It wouldn't be difficult.

David

Respond to this message   
Tim Treadway
(Login TimTreadway)
Missing-Lynx members

Churchill

May 13 2017, 8:17 AM 

Hello James;

When you build that DML Churchill be sure to add at least .060 spacer between the turret halves. DML made the turret too squat and I don't think they have fixed that problem. Tim Treadway

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Tunisian Churchills

May 13 2017, 6:51 PM 

Hi James, there is a 1/35 scale conversion kit review which would be of some help on Armorama. has a couple of WW II pics
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=9311
[linked image]
& this one with both 2 3' guns & the Pz III cuploa. (called Bushmills)
[linked image]
Cheers
Elliott

Respond to this message   
James Pratt
(Login JamesAPrattIII)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks!

May 13 2017, 9:48 PM 

I got the above info from the book "Mr Churchill's Tank" by David Fletcher

Respond to this message   
Mike Starmer
(Login Mikestarmer)
Missing-Lynx members

NOT XF-13

May 15 2017, 6:09 AM 

The suggested Tamiya colour is far too dark and deep green for the British colour. XF-13 is meant to represent Deep Bronze Green, which was not used during the war. The correct period colour is SCC.15 Olive Drab. Mix Tamiya 5 x XF81 + 1 x XF58 + 1 x XF71.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse