Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A new camo pattern to try out.

May 15 2017 at 8:21 PM
bob magnan  (Login bobmagnan)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 71.172.143.5

I read the US Army is starting to evaluate this.

If you think zimmerit in 1/72 is hard, this should be agony

http://saab.com/land/signature-management/platform-integrated-systems/mcs_mobile_camouflage_system/

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tim Marshall
(Login DittoML)
Missing-Lynx members

Cool

May 15 2017, 10:34 PM 

Signature management. When I was involved with research on the reduction of heat signature of the Leopard C1, it was called "signature suppression". That was the late 80s. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
paul bishop
(Login paul_bish)
Missing-Lynx members

pretty cool but...

May 16 2017, 1:41 AM 

the British Army (and others) have been using for a number of years

Here is a challenger 2 "Megatron" utilising it I built, comes like this from Cromwell
[linked image]
[linked image]

and a Fv432 Trojan again from Cromwell
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Tim James
(Login timjames)
Missing-Lynx members

Camouflage

May 16 2017, 3:19 AM 

I believe the Australian army trialed Barracuda camouflage systems a few years ago, don't know why it wasn't employed as it's advertised as having insulating properties as wel (good for the hot Australian climate) but I suspect that it wouldn't last very long at all crashing through the Aussie shrub, it'd be torn to shreds in no time......
And they trialed large camo'd umbrellas as well, this was during the Leopard A1 days .... no AC!

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

Pain to model

May 16 2017, 4:33 AM 

But you can hide a load of errors underneath it, all you need is the basic shape.

Respond to this message   
Tim Greeman
(Login braillescale)
Missing-Lynx members

It looks like a piƱata

May 16 2017, 10:56 AM 

Maybe it fools the enemy into attacking with sticks, in blindfolds.

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Easy!

May 16 2017, 2:58 PM 

This should be a doddle to replicate, simply dip your model in Porridge and leave to go hard.

Respond to this message   
Patrick Mondria
(Login Mondria)
Missing-Lynx members

how to model it?

May 16 2017, 3:58 PM 

how would you guys model it?
my first guess would be "paint" the model in white glue and sprinkle thee leaves on it, any other ideas
Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   
JMehner
(Login Jens_O_Mehner)
Missing-Lynx members

None of the sprinkle methods will work convincingly

May 16 2017, 6:54 PM 

Barracuda consists of mats that are cut in distinctive patterns and are not like camo nets. Some type of foil or wrap might work, but you still would have to figure out how to cut precise repetitive patterns without separating the leaf element from its surroundings entirely.

Luckily, so far my needs have been served by the resin kitmakers who did incorporate it on the model to begin with. Unlike camo nets of old, there is a set layout for each vehicle type outfitted with Barracuda and less variety.

Respond to this message   
Graham Mansell
(Login GMansell)
Missing-Lynx members

Well, following Dave's logic, you could glue individual..

May 16 2017, 4:08 PM 

...oat meal flakes along rows drawn on the model in pencil then paint once dried, kinda like shingling a house?????
But seriously folks, I have thought about this since we (Canada) employed this on our Leopards in the 'Stan. I contemplated making a punch from brass tubing that looked like a pan flute, several tubes together side by side. This nefarious plan involved cutting out very thin paper to fit the models different facets, then punching the holes (which are semi-circles) and gluing the paper to the model once punched out!? This plan is still in a slow cooker so no trials have been accomplished, but it still gets thought of every time I see one of my Leopard kits!!

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Possible.

May 16 2017, 5:50 PM 

This is just a thought but might work. Better to try it on an old model first but i think if small areas are painted with cement and while still "tacky" herbs are sprinkled on. The type your good lady buys for cooking, usually in small glass jars for pennies. By placing these dried herbs, Marjoram, between the palms of your hands and gently rubbing you can break them down into fine pieces. Incidentally these herbs make excellent Autumn leaves for a diorama too.

Respond to this message   
paul bishop
(Login paul_bish)
Missing-Lynx members

a technique is described here

May 17 2017, 1:28 AM 

Respond to this message   
Bas Slaats
(Login Bas_Slaats)
Missing-Lynx members

chally 2

May 17 2017, 5:35 PM 

That first one is lovely! Looks like he used putty to simulate it?

best regards , Bas
"Perfect is the enemy of done"

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse