Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Down by the riverside - StuG conversion rebuild completed

May 16 2017 at 6:53 AM
Piotr Pyrczak  (Login ppyrczak)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 81.190.50.75

Hi all,
Here's my rebuilt StuG conversion finally with a base and some figures. I had this old Modelltrans early Ausf G hull together with Revell lower hull and running gear standing on the shelf and thought I'll give it new life. Since my goal, a Stug Abt 202 vehicle, was one of those built on Pz III Ausf M hulls I had to covert my conversion set. I rebuilt the overhang with a scratchbuilt deep wading muffler and reworked the forward hatches to have the flat sealable ones. Besides that I added a new muzzle brake, a makeshift stowage rack at the back and those wooden side skirts made of sheet styrene. The tracks are PE from Part, something from pre-OKB times. I had a bit of a problem sculpting my figures, bare body is susceptible to proportion faults (at least for me). It doesn't take much to have a forearm or thigh too thick or the waist too small, doing figs in uniforms seems a bit easier. This was also my first time sculpting loose clothing, it could probably look better but for now this is all my skills allow.
Anyway here are the photos, all feedback welcome as always.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

WIP post:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1491739729

Cheers
Piotr

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Petr Vanek
(Login Petr_Vanek)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Down by the riverside - StuG conversion rebuild completed

May 16 2017, 7:13 AM 

Nice StuG and the concept of the diorama, Piotr! Figures are, ehm, on a weaker side of the project as they have proportions of overgrown babies if you let me... But I may have a potential solution for you: Dan Taylor makes a wonderful set called Ablutions, which is, in fact a group of British soldiers - but who cares once they are naked? wink.gif

http://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/ablutions-222-p.asp

Respond to this message   
Piotr Pyrczak
(Login ppyrczak)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Petr

May 17 2017, 6:57 AM 

Yes, the figures are on the poor side, to add to the problem the camera angle makes them look shorter. To my untrained eye the biggest problem with them right now are the overgrown arms. Hopefully with practice I'll get good enough with sculpting to make better ones. If one doesn't try he can't succeed happy.gif

Cheers
Piotr

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

well done!

May 16 2017, 8:18 AM 

And very original! Although if it's supposed to be on a riverbank I would try to show some water. Excellent work on the StuG.

Respond to this message   
Piotr Pyrczak
(Login ppyrczak)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Kevin n/t

May 17 2017, 6:57 AM 

Respond to this message   
Graham Mansell
(Login GMansell)
Missing-Lynx members

Very nice, interesting concept, you should have had...

May 16 2017, 4:00 PM 

...some of the river in the corner with the figures showing all the soap suds on the water!? Hope you don't have to cover up your figures at a model show????

Respond to this message   
Piotr Pyrczak
(Login ppyrczak)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Graham

May 17 2017, 7:07 AM 

The river would have been a nice touch. since my figure sculpting still leaves a lot to be improved i might come back to the idea at some point.

Cheers
Piotr

Respond to this message   
Petr Vanek
(Login Petr_Vanek)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Thanks Graham

May 17 2017, 8:59 AM 

If I understand Graham properly, he did not mean your sculpting skills but the explicit nudity that might have led to a need of covering the figures to avoid any harm caused to anybody. It is a really silly world we live in... sad.gif

Respond to this message   
Piotr Pyrczak
(Login ppyrczak)
Missing-Lynx members

Well...

May 17 2017, 9:17 AM 

I was refering to the idea of bathing soldiers that I won't abandon in the future. I treat the suggestion of covering up nude figures more as a joke. I'm sure I could make more offensive figures than those two happy.gif

Cheers
Piotr

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Great work Piotr

May 17 2017, 8:02 PM 

Awesome for first time, only thing I would say is the left elbow on the guy with the bucket
& the other guy the upper arms are a little heavy, other wise I think you have nailed it.
Nice Stug III too wink.gif
Cheers
Elliott

Respond to this message   
Piotr Pyrczak
(Login ppyrczak)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Elliott

May 20 2017, 7:40 AM 

You're right, the arms came out way to thick. I already carved away the legs, same problem.

Cheers
Piotr

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse