Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Advice on M3 Light Tank...

May 18 2017 at 3:54 PM
Paul Giles  (Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille
from IP address 176.251.125.169

Can anyone advise me on which Mirage M3 would be best to depict a 'Honey' in the Western Desert. I know that they did limited editions of the M3 which were for the Royal Irish Hussars and unfortunately I missed them when they came out and now to get one is like the quest for the Golden Fleece. Anyway, any suggestions, I would like the octagonal turret, but if that is not possible I can construct one myself (I have done it before about 50 years ago!!). Is it possible to cross kit with the Hasegawa offering? Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Turret shape

May 18 2017, 7:16 PM 

Hi Paul, I was the same I could not get a 'Honey' M3
I'm not sure what you mean with the turret though
the Honey 'Bellman' in the Mirage kit had the round turret not the octagonal one
But if you want a Octagonal turret M3 the Mirage kits #72670 or #72672 have the Octagonal turret
& correct taller commander hatch.
I guess the decals are the only difference.
(I bought kit #72670 & put the spare round Matchbox 1/76 turret on mine
& put plastic sheet sand shields on it I'll see if I have any pics when I get home.
Cheers
Elliott

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)

Thanks Elliott...

May 18 2017, 8:51 PM 

Hello Elliott,

It is just me, I want to make the earlier Honey with the octagonal turret, I will probably do one with the rounded turret as well, especially as I really like the Honey and it was the first model I ever scratch built all those years ago. Lots of fond memories of plasticard and Mek Pak, alas the model got 'binned' by my parents when they decided to move house while I was at university - sad.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Memory

May 19 2017, 12:01 AM 

I could have sworn I used the Matchbox turret,
But Just found pics of my build I used the kit OOTB with the Octagonal turret too?
(I guess it was always the plan but the Matchbox turret was to hard/small to fit)
Both types were used anyway even for the Caunter period.
[linked image]
[linked image]
here is my one (in the front, where you can see the white plastic shields & jerry can holder)
[linked image]
I glued my Grant hatches upside down to have some detail on them.
[linked image]
here is a couple of pic I took from a local Military show we have our club stand at.
[linked image]
[linked image]
Hope this is of some help
Cheers Elliott

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)

Certainly does help...

May 19 2017, 2:55 AM 

Hello Elliott,

The second photo is just what I am looking for, the Honey like that. I am sure that I can track down the kit and will be getting it to carry on with the Desert theme. The photos of the actual tank are very good reference, lots of nice little details evident thanks for posting that. Nice selection of Desert vehciles by the way, are the Grants Mirage or Hasegawa? I ask because the loader's hatch is open on the one and it is moulded shut in my models.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Mirage Grants

May 19 2017, 5:11 AM 

Hi Paul, the Grants are Mirage but on the second pic of the unpainted one you can just see a corner of white plastic I drilled & trim my hatch out & made a new one
same with the front hatch I drilled & cut a rectangular window & fixed the hatch open I also used some foil & made the dust cover.
thanks I have a S-Models A13 & Dan Taylor Desert conversion & PSC A9 & Dan taylor conversion set
waiting for a Dan Taylor Alamein Sherman II conversion for a Heller M4 happy.gif

Mirage Hobbies store has the 72670 kit ( & the 72673 kit if you wanted a Round turret too)
http://www.mhshop.pl/MirageHobby-AFV-72

Cheers Elliott

Respond to this message   
Mike Durand
(Login mdurand)
Missing-Lynx members

What gun on the conversion?

May 19 2017, 9:03 PM 

sorry to hi jack the tread but that caught my eye. Did you do one?

Thanks
Mike

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

18 pdr

May 19 2017, 11:50 PM 

Hi Mike,
If you are talking about the pic I posted with a gun on top of a stuart
the caption says
'Its a WWI vintage 18pdr gun mounted onto an M3 Stuart hull in North Africa.'
I haven't built one myself I just used the pic to show the other Stuart beside it.
Cheers Elliott

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

And another thing...

May 19 2017, 1:45 AM 

Hello Paul
They are a little on the rare side - though maybe Elliott's part numbers will help. I have found a plan set for the M3 with octagonal turret and dust shields in my archive - would you like a copy.

Am I right in thinking that Revell have never re-released the Matchbox Honey kit? I'd like to do an Op Crusader set of dioramas one day to represent each of the three armoured brigade's involved and a group of them would be ideal.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)

Yes, please...

May 19 2017, 2:58 AM 

Hello Dan,

I would be grateful for the plans, if my memory serves me correctly I used the AFV monograph to get the dimensions for the octagonal turret as the Bellona plans show the round one, so accurate plans would be much appreciated. I am always scouring Ebay for bargains, if I spot a Matchbox Honey I will let you know.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)

Just found this...

May 19 2017, 3:03 AM 

Hello Dan,

Just found this within 30 seconds of searching, spooky...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matchbox-1-76-Scale-Model-Kit-Complete-PK-84-M3-A1-Stuart-Honey-/322510879175?hash=item4b172579c7:g:IgMAAOSwn-tZEeoq

Hope that is what you want.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes

May 19 2017, 4:59 AM 

Hi Dan,
Revell did release the Honey but I think only as a pack with 8th Army figures
[linked image]
I have the Revell instruction which give the caunter scheme
Plastic Soldier Company are doing a M3 soon with a choice of turret types like Revell/Matchbox did
& you would get 3 in the box. (the rotor shield looks the wrong shape in the FB pic).
https://www.facebook.com/ThePlasticSoldierCompany/photos/pcb.1299368103504620/1299368080171289/?type=3&theater

If you want a round turret Mirage #72673 would be the best bet. If you can't get the 72671M3 Honey Op Crusader kit.

Mirage hobbies own store has both 72670 & 72673 listed
http://www.mhshop.pl/MirageHobby-AFV-72

Cheers Elliott

Respond to this message   
Chris Grove
(Login chrismmgrove)
Missing-Lynx members

Matchbox Honey

May 20 2017, 4:16 PM 

Hi Dan
I have a Matchbox Honey but have never made it because all the stowage boxes are so tapered - makes it easier to get the thing out of the mould, I guess, but it does look a bit weird. Yes I could scratch new boxes, but making square boxes is about my least favourite activity!
Chris

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse