Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Resin question?

May 19 2017 at 11:08 PM
Ben Strong  (Login strongpoppa)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 76.178.164.243

Hello all and sorry for the seemingly dumb question. So would it work if I molded and then cast soft plastic figures to make them resin? I wouldn't be selling them, just using them. Is this possible? I have never used resin before so this is a shot in the dark.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Christopher Benjamin
(Login 8179)
Missing-Lynx members

Sure, why not?

May 20 2017, 11:16 AM 

Just going to have a compressor and paint pot to force the resin into the mold.
You can then convert parts (arms, legs, etc.) easier that way. Or convert them first, then make a a cast copy of them so they stand up to handeling better.

Respond to this message   
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Do tell me more...

May 21 2017, 5:15 PM 

Chris, can you share more specifics on this, as one of the things that has put me off doing resin is air bubbles, and since I only want to do some bits, a vacuum chamber wouldn't be cost effective. So how does your approach work, as I didn't know that you could get your airbrush compressor to suck air instead of just blow.

Respond to this message   
Dave Haine
(Login braillescaledave)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Do tell me more...

May 23 2017, 4:12 AM 

Being a woodworker, I've got a veneer press (Bagpress) that uses my compressor to power it. The principle is similar to how a spray gun works- If you pass a high speed flow of air over a nozzle, it creates a reduction of pressure within the nozzle, sucking any air out- connect the nozzle to a sealed container and you achieve a partial vacuum within the container. Fit a non-return valve, and the vacuum stays.

My bagpress uses a giant vinyl bag as the sealed container, but I imagine that if you use a much smaller container you can achieve the effect with much smaller devices. I'm sure you can get non-return valves for airline hose, too.

One of those cheap Humbrol sprayguns would work- fit a hose instead of the plastic straw into a jam jar, make sure all joints are air-tight and use a clamp on the hose into the jar as the non return valve....

That should give you enough partial vacuum to pull out all the air bubbles.

Respond to this message   
Tim James
(Login timjames)
Missing-Lynx members

Resin casting with pressure ....

May 24 2017, 8:31 AM 

Rob, I use pressure to reduce the bubbles in my resin casts. I use a 2Ltr paint pressure pot with the outlet to the spray gun blocked off, connected to my compressor. I set it at 40PSI and have more than 90% success with no bubbles.
Pretty simple to do and works a treat, I could never get vacuum to work, it just frothed the resin out of the molds.
I've done some casting of figures but they can be a little difficult without making two part molds.

Respond to this message   
Robert (PL)
(Login BetinhoPL)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes, but ..

May 20 2017, 1:07 PM 

It is possible - I make some resin parts for my own works. With figures it is difficult but possible

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse