Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Our Form2 printer!

July 22 2017 at 3:57 PM
Hans van Oerle  (Login jgvo1956)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 77.174.239.238

I lile to show you the Form2 3d printer we bought last month.

[linked image]

For a description see :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2tyf7umsc

The installation went without problems, I expected it would take the whole day but after two hours I was running my first print.

For test I printed the master of the small Vickers Amphibious Tank I made for Jan Giesbers.

[linked image]

The result was perfect, look at all the details, better than Shapeways FUD!

Next one was the new DAF YA 616 truck.

[linked image]

As an experiment I printed the whole chassis in one piece, impossible to cast it this way.

[linked image]

Then I reduced the model to N-scale (1/160) (OK I also simplified the model a bit)
But it is printed in one piece!

[linked image]

This is fun! I also converted the other 1/72-87 Dutch army DAF trucks I have made over the last years to 1/160.

[linked image]

There has been a lot of dicussion about the suitability of 3d printers for modelling, with this machine I think this dicussion can end. It is still expensive but if you can buy it with a group like we did then it is much more affordable.

Also the resin used is expensive (160 euro/ltr), but you can make a lot of small scale models out of 1 liter

Well I do not plan to go on holiday this summer!

Kind regards

Hans

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

So how much???

July 22 2017, 5:14 PM 

So how much??? And to ease your costs are you printing other items for people wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Doug Iovinelli
(Login iovinelli)
Missing-Lynx members

3D Printers

July 22 2017, 10:30 PM 

The FORM 2 is ~$3499.99 (USD) - not including the resin and wash tanks/materials.

https://formlabs.com/

I also use a STRATASYS MOJO ABS printer which prints very nicely at 1:72 and 1:76.

You can see some of my prints here from the FORM 2 in 1:72 WWII.

https://www.thingiverse.com/dugzmodels/designs

and

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:354121

Italian M14/41 and 15/42, Windsor Carrier in 1:100 and 1:72.

Respond to this message   
Doug Iovinelli
(Login iovinelli)
Missing-Lynx members

In the secon link the LVT 2 and LVT 3 Bushmaster...

July 22 2017, 10:43 PM 

....was printed on the STRATSYS MOJO ABS printer in 1:72. The Stuart and Italian M75/34 SPG were also done on this printer.

Right now I working on a 4.5 and 5.5 inch 3D design and I will post on the "Thingiverse.com" site. Followed by a desert recon group and polish recon TKS group.

I have also recently printed figures on both printers and they turned out nice. It too several attempts to get the perspctive correct as the scaling and perspective don't a;ways match.

Respond to this message   
Hans van Oerle
(Login jgvo1956)
Missing-Lynx members

Printing for others

July 23 2017, 3:25 PM 

To print for others? Perhaps in the future, at the moment I am hesitating about this.

I want first to get more experience with this printer and also get a good idea what will be the actual costs, resin, cleaning liquid etc for a print.
I can log in on a "FormLabs Dashboard" that keeps track of the resin used but I do not yet know how reliable this is.

Also what to do with the costs of the failed prints? Yes it happens, twice , by my own mistake sad.gif

rgrds

Hans

Respond to this message   
David Clark
(Login DavidJClark)
Missing-Lynx members

Impressive

July 22 2017, 11:35 PM 

Hans

I recently visited a university lab where they were doing 3D scans of hominin skulls and printing replicas. The variation in size between the original and replica was measured in microns. They also had the capacity to 3D print in the colour of the original using a printer at another university. That printer was a cool AUD30,000!

I think that the technology is rapidly becoming affordable, particularly if it's used to create masters for more conventional model making.

As one of the 'old gang', I can see the possibilities of producing both 1/72 and 1/76 (or 1/87, etc) masters.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

David

Respond to this message   
Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Our Form2 printer!

July 22 2017, 11:56 PM 

So who did the programming and how much knowledge did they have before they did it? Considering how much trouble many have posting pictures on a forum that's going to be the big hurdle for your average user, not buying a printing machine and pressing start.

Respond to this message   
Hans van Oerle
(Login jgvo1956)
Missing-Lynx members

3D drawing

July 23 2017, 4:05 PM 

Indeed making a 3D drawing is most of the job, not pushing the button!

There are difficult and simmple 3D drawing programs, but all require some study to work with.

However like working with Microsoft Word, updating a facebook account or building your first plastic model the most important thing is just start with it and have fun,and do not be disappointed if you do not reach the moon at the first shot happy.gif

Rgrds

Hans

Respond to this message   
Henk Timmerman / HenkofHolland
(Login henkofholland2)
Missing-Lynx members

My compliments, very well done!!

July 23 2017, 5:16 AM 

Hello Hans,

That looks promised. The 3D printed vehicles looks much better then earlier prints I have seen from you.

Very well done, I think it sounds as one of the first acceptable printers for our hobby.

Best greetings, Henk

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Well, Well, Well.

July 23 2017, 5:29 AM 

And where are those on the forum who only months back were saying "It will take years" before we see this sort of thing and i replied. Man is only limited by his imagination. Well here we are. Do i feel smug? You bet i do. These things will get cheaper and cheaper, especially as the Chinese will not miss a market opportunity. Move the microwave over mother!

Respond to this message   
Bas Slaats
(Login Bas_Slaats)
Missing-Lynx members

nic proces, nice models

July 23 2017, 5:48 AM 

Good to see that there are alternatives for Shapaway. I hope the price for resin will drop in the future. Is it same kind of resin as you cast normally? (Polyurethane or something similar?

I like the Dafs very much!

best regards, Bas
"Perfect is the enemy of done"

Respond to this message   
Grant Parkin
(Login JustGanCanny)
Missing-Lynx members

What models will you do next??

July 23 2017, 8:35 AM 

Hello Hans, what models are you planning on doing next??

If I may be so bold as to suggest a series of inter war vehicles and tanks...me personally, I'd like to see a Char FCM 2C, complete with railway transport dollies/trailers.

Grant

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

Crazy!! Amazing!!!

July 23 2017, 8:35 AM 

The future is now! Thanks for posting.

Respond to this message   
Les Freathy
(Login matador45)
Missing-Lynx members

amazing

July 23 2017, 8:43 AM 

Excellent machine I am amazed how the chassis turned out in one piece I still cannot get my head round how it comes together perhaps one day someone will produce a short video showing the procedure. Do you intend to sell some models to help recover some of the cost

Respond to this message   
Dave Haine
(Login braillescaledave)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Our Form2 printer!

July 23 2017, 9:34 AM 

How long did it take to produce each subject?

How long did it take to do the CAD...

As someone said upthread, it will be a brilliant tool for producing masters. but the thing is, it will be long time before it is a viable production technique...

...And at three and a half grand a pop it will be a long time before the equipment, capable of that sort of accuracy, is within reach of most individual modellers.

However... Could be a good business opportunity and I could do with about 20-odd Fordson E817 and E917 cabs....

Respond to this message   
Paul Bishop
(Login paul_bish)
Missing-Lynx members

really impressive

July 23 2017, 5:02 PM 

id say in a few years these will be in the "expensive but affordable" $500 so about 10/15 decent resin models.
Id get one then

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse