Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

SHELF QUEEN CHALLENGE 2017 - Week 14 of 30

August 4 2017 at 6:44 AM
Paul Giles  (Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille
from IP address 176.250.120.101

Welcome to the 'Shelf Queen Challenge 2017', the annual event where we try to clear the decks of all the neglected builds that have accumulated over the years. To qualify as a 'Shelf Queen' the model must have been started and then put on one side and left, the period of time is not important only that it has been more or less abandoned. Last year many of us managed to get several of our 'Shelf Queens' finished and there is a real feeling of achievement and satisfaction in doing this. This feature is meant as an impetus to get these models finished and the long length (6 months) allows people to fit this in with their modelling schedule. Hopefully it will as well supported as last year and we can get a good gallery at the end of it.

Could I ask you to post any updates you have please...

All the best,

Paul

This message has been edited by Spacewolfdad from IP address 176.250.120.101 on Aug 4, 2017 6:46 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

8.8cm Pak 43

August 4 2017, 8:45 AM 

Afternoon All
Apologies for my recent absence, too much on to get over the switch from Dropbox to Imgur. If you are looking at pictures below, I've cracked it...

[img][linked image]?1[/img]

As the title implies, it is an 8.8cm Pak 43 and I've had it on the go for at least twenty years. If memory serves, it may be by Barry Walby's MMS and is 1/76 scale - if you know better, please say so. I think the project originally stalled when I had misgivings over some of the details but could not find enough reference to push it to completion.

Winding forward to now, I was inspired whilst re-reading the late Ian Daglish's fine account of Operation Goodwood in Normandy. In is there is an account of the German defense of Cagny which was bolstered by the arrival of Artillerie-Pak-Abt 1039 which comprised twenty seven of these very powerful weapons. In the next 24 hours they were very heavily engaged - losing half their strength (and their commanding officer, but accounting for thirty five British tanks.

The most obvious change is the replacement of the gun with a replacement turned aluminium and brass barrel - suitably built into the recuperator housing so that it better represents 1/76 scale. I've also corrected the ammunition stowage, improved the sighting and training equipment and modified the shield so that it looks more convincing for the scale. Oh, and replaced the gun crutch.

There's still a way to go but, thanks to the advent of the internet since I started the project, it's so much easier to find that all-important image you need to get over hurdles.

[img][linked image]?2[/img]

Oddly, I've modified the size of this last image but it won't play ball. With a little scrolling you get a much better idea of how nice the barrel is.

Hope this may inspire someone to crack on with a neglected old queen - so to speak...

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   
David Clark
(Login DavidJClark)
Missing-Lynx members

Hinchliffe?

August 4 2017, 10:17 AM 

Dan

I suspect that you may be working on a Hinchliffe model.

I don't have any photographs of my Pak 43 at hand (or the model itself) but your model looks so much like how I recall my model.

Cheers

David

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Hinchliffe?

August 4 2017, 5:29 PM 

Hello David
Could well be - the casting isn't quite as sharp as I'd expect from Barry. The most notable oddity about the model was the small box where the much larger ammunition box is. This appears t be traced back to a plan by Ken Musgrave from 1976 (which is to say I haven't found an earlier interpretation like this).

All the best
Dan

BTW Progress is leaping ahead on the Australian upgrade for the S-Model Matilda... Hope to have something out for the end of the month.

Respond to this message   
Stefan Zadziuk
(Login stefzadziuk)
Missing-Lynx members

Not Hincliffe...

August 4 2017, 6:24 PM 

Hi Dan,

Definitely not Hincliffe. Why? Because I did the master for Steve Cox way back when happy.gif
Making masters for metal casting had to be beefed up somewhat compared to masters for resin due to the casting process, so I was a bit heavier handed. That's my excuse anyway!

I have the MMS PaK43 in front of me and as you say, I see the small ammunition box behind the shield. Funnily enough, I don't recall spotting that when I built mine!

Hope this helps
Stefan

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Not Hincliffe...

August 5 2017, 2:55 PM 

Hello Stefan
Good to hear from you and thanks for the imput. Always nice to know the genesis of our kits. Maybe the ammunition box has only come to light relatively recently. There's a good picture of that side in Daglish's book.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
David Clark
(Login DavidJClark)
Missing-Lynx members

A bit of history!

August 5 2017, 6:51 PM 

Thanks for clarifying that Stefan; it's good to know the history behind kits.

I may have to retrieve my Hinchliff PaK 43 and add the ammunition box 🙂

Cheers

David

Respond to this message   
Stefan Zadziuk
(Login stefzadziuk)
Missing-Lynx members

Clarification...

August 6 2017, 1:35 PM 

Hi Dan and David,

I think our wires must have crossed somewhere!

The one that you are working on Dan, is the Barry Walby MMS PaK43 (short ammunition box), which was released after the Pak43 I did for Hinchcliffe (long ammunition box) in February 1986. The MMS one is more for modellers, whereas the Hincliffe one was more for wargamers hence slightly more bulkier as requested.

Out of interest, Skytrex became the trading arm for Hinchcliffe and when Skytrex was taken up by EWM, (Early War Miniatures) more recently. EWM still stock the PaK43 with better castings now.

Sorry to slightly hi-jack your thread Dan, it was not my intention. The Pak43 of yours Dan, is really looking good and really doing it justice. You may guess that the PaK43 is my favourite anti-tank gun, so futuristic for it's time.

All the best
Stefan

Respond to this message   
John lewis
(Login johosjokers)
Missing-Lynx members

Nice looking gun

August 4 2017, 8:42 PM 

The white metal stuff looks to be a chore tho.
Just scored an ace version on ebay, which gives me two, so can build one now.
Btw, nice history lesson with the gun, i have read some of the 'battleground europe' series of books on goodwood, hill 112 etc, but they dont go into detail of weapons systems involved.
Jl

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Nice looking gun

August 5 2017, 2:59 PM 

Hello John
Thanks for that. It wasn't too much effort as the overall shape compares well with the plans. Just the interplay of metal and plastic. I enjoy being nerdy about the equipment so the intention is to add a new dimension to the story told in the book.

I'd very much like to have a go at the Ace version at some stage but, for the time being, it is good to get a shelf queen on her way to completion. This started well before Ace's version appeared.

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

should look good...

August 5 2017, 9:07 AM 

when painted up! Just make sure to lower that one outrigger leg so that it is in contact with the ground! I take it you are planning a small vignette with figures?

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

That Outrigger

August 5 2017, 2:53 PM 

Hello Kevin
Thanks for the reply. Would you believe that the cruciform sits perfectly on the little piece of terrain it will go on but the flaw is revealed on a flat surface. My plan is to do it after the position had been over-run with a couple of tommies checking over the gun.

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   
John lewis
(Login johosjokers)
Missing-Lynx members

Zug and pak 43/41 (edit to change duplicate pic)

August 4 2017, 8:37 PM 

Forgot what the tractor is..and pls ignore all the parts that have fallen off. I've got 3 figures to go with it. The scenario will be siting the gun at a crossroads. I hurridly redid the road service this evening as i saw my first (and better) effort had the vehicle tracks not paralleling the stone wall
Photo_Collage_Maker_zb_Pli_C

Photo_Collage_Maker_3nu0_JY
Sws is maco with modelltrans load. Pak is ace with ace pe set and rb barrel.

This message has been edited by johosjokers from IP address 166.137.143.48 on Aug 5, 2017 1:10 PM

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

looking good...

August 5 2017, 9:04 AM 

The construction and layout look excellent but I wonder about your paint schemes - shouldn't there be more dunkelgelb on both the SWS and Pak?

Respond to this message   
John lewis
(Login johosjokers)
Missing-Lynx members

Paint job

August 5 2017, 11:00 AM 

Hello Kevin, originally i had them both painted dg and oversprayed with mm panzer green (or whatever they call it) to mostly cover the dg. After rebooting the project, i decided to brush on red brown as a expediant camo job.

And thanks for the compliment
Jl

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Zug and pak 43/41 (edit to change duplicate pic)

August 5 2017, 3:02 PM 

Hello John
Nice composition. Fascinating that we should be entering two such closely related beasties in the thread.

All the best
Dan

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse