Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1/76 LRDG Vehicles

August 6 2017 at 6:22 AM
Neil Craig  (Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 173.33.150.18

I just finished up a couple of typical LRDG trucks. They are basically OOB with a few additions and are crewed by Milicast LRDG figures which were recently released. The Ford F30 is a Milicast offering and is really OOB with no additions save for the camo net. Decals were kindly provided by Pete Marshall and my thanks goes to him. Here are some photos:
DSCF3845
DSCF3846
DSCF3848
DSCF3849
DSCF3853
DSCF3854

Next up is the Revell (ex-Matchbox) Chev 30 cwt. Additions here were P/E sand channels, rolled foil sand-mats, tissue covered window covers and side curtains, tissue tarp and camo net. The figures are also by Milicast and the kit decals had the wrong colour for the patrol patch for "R" patrol so Pete Marshall did those as well as the name "Rotowaro".

Cheers,

Neil

DSCF3843
DSCF3841
DSCF3844
DSCF3840
DSCF3821
DSCF3832

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille

Super pair of models...

August 6 2017, 7:18 AM 

Hi Neil,

As I am currently 'doing' the Western Desert in my models, I supposed I should include some LRDG/SAS vehicles as well. Seeing your two cracking models has convinced me I really should. Your LRDG trucks look just right and have your usual 'touch' that bring the vehicles to life. I like the Ford F30, something a little different from the usual Chevys, also it has the Vickers machine gun, which I always liked on LRDG vehicles. Can you recommend some good references for these vehicles, I am afraid I don't have any at the moment.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

References

August 6 2017, 8:08 AM 

Many thanks Paul...there are a few good pages on the internet which I have linked below:
http://www.lrdg.de/vehicles.htm
http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/lrdgpatrol.html (Equipment)
http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/camo.html (Camouflage)
http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/troopers/index.html (Uniforms)

There are also a number of good photos of the different vehicles on the internet. I simply googled them to get what I need.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Neil

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille

Thanks Neil...

August 6 2017, 3:52 PM 

There are some whacky camouflage schemes that they used, I will be able to sort out what I want to do with all that information. I have the excellent articles in the early Military Modelling (small format) on the SAS jeeps, so I am good to go with that, just got to decide on the best jeep kit to use.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

very nice!

August 6 2017, 8:04 AM 

All that stowage really adds to the interest and realism - outstanding job!

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Kevin....

August 6 2017, 8:08 AM 

....your comments are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil

Respond to this message   
David Clark
(Login DavidJClark)
Missing-Lynx members

Great work Neil!

August 6 2017, 8:14 AM 

Two excellent vignettes!

You have the knack of using exactly the right number of figures to make the scene more interesting without diverting attention from the vehicles.

Cheers

David

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

Many thanks David!

August 6 2017, 8:35 AM 

.....I have always felt less it better as it is the vehicle I am trying to showcase but with some sense of scale and purpose.

Cheers,

Neil

Respond to this message   
Ilian Filipov
(Login ilfil)
Missing-Lynx members

Chevies of R patrol

August 6 2017, 9:13 AM 

Hi Neil,
Exellent work, as always. I hope it isn't too late to add the prominent mudflaps behind the rear wheels, most of the LRDG Chevs have them, the one(s) you've decided to represent have them too.
Why "the oneS"? I'm afraid you fell victim of bad research. R4/L4618912 is "Rotoway" and "Rotowaro" is R5/L4618964. After so many years of research of those LRDG vehicles I can confirm it with pictures. Sorry to rain on your parade, I think you must know this. Why didn't you ask me in time? You can correct this easily too anyway.
Cheers!

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

Busted!!

August 6 2017, 9:49 AM 

Hi Ilian....should have realized your expertise also would carry into the LRDG. I afraid I made some bad assumptions on the Chev but they are easily correctible I think I have the decal still for "Rotowai". You spelled it "Rotoway" but internet references and the decal show Rotowai and I am applying that over the errant one. All else is the same I think and the name plaque will need changing. I'm sure it is still R1 patrol. I will also add the missing mudflaps.

Thanks for pointing it out and keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Cheers,

Neil

Respond to this message   
Ilian Filipov
(Login ilfil)
Missing-Lynx members

Mea culpa :-(

August 6 2017, 10:36 AM 

Hi again, Neil,
Of course she is "Rotowai", I've spelled the name wrong in a hurry.
I hope this picture would be a good excuse.

R4_Rotowai_L4618912

Cheers!

Respond to this message   
Richard Allebone
(Login richardallebone)
Missing-Lynx members

LRDG

August 6 2017, 9:53 AM 

They may strait out of box but beautifully made and painted just oozes atmosphere

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

top of the class.

August 6 2017, 10:00 AM 

Still top of the class Neil and well worth the wait to see these two. beautifully finished mate!

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

Corrections!

August 6 2017, 11:29 AM 

Many thanks Richard and Dave for the kind comments and a special shout-out to Ilian who corrected me on the name and the missing mudguards.....all now is okay (I think) but I thought so before so let me know Ilian! Notice how the light changed as I took these outside. I just wish the faces showed up better.

Cheers,

Neil

DSCF3865
DSCF3862

Respond to this message   
Ilian Filipov
(Login ilfil)
Missing-Lynx members

Now it is okay

August 6 2017, 12:08 PM 

Hi again and again Neil,
Well, that's it. I knew it would be piece of cake for a seasoned modeller like you. happy.gif
And yes, Rotowai is from R1 patrol too.
Don't worry about the colors, the desert light is often cheating. happy.gif
Cheers!

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Again Ilian!

August 6 2017, 2:32 PM 

.....any info on the Leyland Terrier? I'm about to get into one of those but info is very limited as far as photos or WD number info.

Cheers,

Neil

Respond to this message   
Stefan Zadziuk
(Login stefzadziuk)
Missing-Lynx members

Cracking pair... !

August 6 2017, 2:00 PM 

Beautifully done Neil, these just ooze atmosphere.

Nicely painted, rendered and posed with just the right figures to make it so natural.
I'm impressed with the tailgate chain on the Chevvy too and the low angle shot on the Ford is just sublime! Well done.

Cheers
Stefan

Respond to this message   
Neil Craig
(Login Neilie)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Stefan!!

August 6 2017, 2:34 PM 

....the chain is simple to do using a couple of strands of copper wire twisted together and compressed with pliers or a hammer to make a little chain.

Cheers,

Neil

Respond to this message   
Stefan Zadziuk
(Login stefzadziuk)
Missing-Lynx members

Ahh yes....

August 6 2017, 5:49 PM 

I remember that one Neil. Think it was one by Augusto Versiani? Good tip.

Cheers
Stefan

Respond to this message   
John lewis
(Login johosjokers)
Missing-Lynx members

1/76 LRDG Vehicles

August 6 2017, 2:14 PM 

Muesum quality.. fantastic stuff you've done there

Jl

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >