Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Any experience of this Shapeways range ('Arctic Skunk') ?

August 9 2017 at 5:20 AM
Andrew Lang  (Login andrewjnlang)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 79.69.17.150

All

Prompted by a recent thread here on the subject, I investigated the range of 1/72 scale stuff available on Shapeways. I came across a seemingly wide range of unusual subjects offered by a designer known as 'Arctic Skunk': I would be particularly interested in the Danish Landsverk m/39 armoured car. However, I note that the images are digital previews of the subjects, not images of the actual models. In addition, and at risk of being prematurely judgemental, I also wondered if the development of such a large range in a relatively short timescale might only have been achieved at the expense of quality or simplification. Does anyone have experience of this 'Arctic Skunk' range at all ?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/A9YQUATEH/pv117e-pansarbil-m-39-lynx-1-72?optionId=63244297

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YW3VAS6Z5/pv16a-m1918-ford-3-ton-tank-1-72?optionId=17163640

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy Lang

This message has been edited by andrewjnlang from IP address 79.69.17.150 on Aug 9, 2017 5:22 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kaya Saydas
(Login saydas)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes...

August 9 2017, 7:56 AM 

Respond to this message   
Kaya Saydas
(Login saydas)
Missing-Lynx members

...yes

August 9 2017, 8:00 AM 

I bought some products from his range in 1/72. I`m very happy with it! A bit expensive, but he makes unique models.
I think , in future I`ll buy some of his other vehicles .
Hope it helps.
Kaya Saydas

Respond to this message   
paul bishop
(Login paul_bish)
Missing-Lynx members

what a great range

August 9 2017, 10:07 AM 

I couldn't see a filter for 1/72 though? am I being daft??? wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Andrew Lang
(Login andrewjnlang)
Missing-Lynx members

Hello Kaya, Paul

August 9 2017, 12:10 PM 

Hi Kaya, Paul

Kaya - It was your post that alerted me to the newer stuff on Shapeways: I know from this that you like the range and I only have one follow-on question. To what extent is the digital preview an indication of the detail & quality of the replica itself ?

Paul - If you enter '1/72 Arctic Skunk' into the search box, you will bring up 36 miniatures by this designer (plus a lot of other stuff).

Andy

This message has been edited by andrewjnlang from IP address 79.69.17.150 on Aug 9, 2017 6:30 PM

Respond to this message   
Kaya Saydas
(Login saydas)
Missing-Lynx members

I see...

August 10 2017, 7:27 AM 

... a photo of the printed model on a light blue background, in my Shapeways page...
I think this is demonstrating the model quite realistic. The detail is good and clean. Arctic Skunk models are sold here only in "ultra frosted", so that means the best quality available.
I bought some models from other designers via Shapeways, in "strong-flexible white", and was happy too. But the "ultra frosted" is better.
Hopefully, we see other models from these designers in future?
Maybe a Marksmann AA Turret or some modern tanks like Oplot, Al-Khalid, K-2 or some of the Chineese MBT fleet...?
Kaya Saydas

Respond to this message   
Andrew Lang
(Login andrewjnlang)
Missing-Lynx members

Kaya: My view of Shapeways – in more than one context…

August 10 2017, 8:54 AM 

Kaya

I have put any plans to buy something from this range on hold for the time being, for a number of reasons. I was looking at the Ford 3-Ton Tank, but the price seems to have increased by about 10% since I have started viewing it. Of course, Shapeways are quite entitled to increase the price if they so wish – but it makes me less willing to take a chance.

I did get to the stage of putting it in the shopping cart, but baulked at the postage costs to the UK (it seems that UK orders are printed & despatched from mainland Europe). The postage & currency conversion costs would nearly double the original item cost for me in the UK. This leads me to my final point – unlike you, I can only see a digital preview: Shapeways seem to make this perfectly clear. This means that I would have to spend about 25.00 GBP for a small (6cm) model that I have not yet seen.

Andy

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse