Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Decals for BEF Carriers

August 10 2017 at 3:21 PM
George H. Buzby  (Login Gbuzby)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 130.16.98.181

Please suggest a useful set of decals for 1/72 - 1/76 scale BEF carriers. Aleran and Dan Taylor have sets for Matildas, Softskins, and tanks, but none specifically for carriers. I am concerned that my only option may be to buy a set of AOS decals, a set of unit decals, and a third (and fourth?) set of war department numbers and vehicle names. There must be a single set available.

Thanks,

George

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Options.

August 10 2017, 4:43 PM 

Your options on this are very limited and i discovered the only realistic way to do it is the Starmers Armour set of individual AOS signs and numbers. The civilian style number plates are more problematic but again can be done by adding individual numbers and letters onto a black square, Tedious but do-able.

Respond to this message   
Dan Taylor
(Login Dan-Taylor)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Decals for BEF Carriers

August 10 2017, 5:18 PM 

Hello George
Not much help but they are on my to-do list. The set I'm working on is going to have carriers and light tanks but they won't make it on to the next batch of releases (quickly sliding back towards October due to some checking and correcting), so I hope to get them out early in the New Year. I appreciate that may not fit with your ambitions, so sorry.

All the best

Dan

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Black lion

August 10 2017, 7:16 PM 

Hi George,

I was thinking just the reg plate you would really need
[linked image]
as the rest looks easy enough to make,
But found this set from Black Lion that has one BEF Carrier option
(on Milan's Tracks-n-troops store)
[linked image]
has the Unit, AOS & Vehicle name,
I Don't know the photo ref it came from
so maybe it didn't have a reg number?
(don't know where the tricolour decal would go?)

Hope this helps
Cheers Elliott

Respond to this message   
George H. Buzby
(Login Gbuzby)
Missing-Lynx members

Thank you!

August 11 2017, 9:24 AM 

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the feedback. This DG is such a great resource both to fellow modellers and manufacturer. It's so nice to get such helpful responses. I was not aware of the the Black Lion set and I'll have to look into what Stamers offers. Dan, that sounds promising and I'm sure the set will be wonderful.

I want to share the following e-mail I got from Pete at Aleran. I was floored by the thoughtful and well-considered reply:

"Hi George,

Thanks for your inquiry. The best sheet for BEF carriers would be the UK-1 sheet. Have you seen the website image? I did revise this sheet in 2012. This sheet will give you decals for the AoS, unit insignias, license plates, and white squares. Bridging signs and some names would be in sheet UK-5. UK-5 does have some names of specific BEF carriers: 'Ally Sloper', 'Drogheda', and I think 'Belvoir'.

If you are looking for specific carrier markings with names and WD numbers, I can always do some custom markings for you. If you can let me know exactly what you would like, I can give you a quote and we can go from there.

A useful site for BEF carrier (plus other) markings used to be the Armored Acorn site, but I think it is not functioning anymore. I did find an archive link here:https://web.archive.org/web/20050207101843/http://www.armouredacorn.com:80/Reference/CVM/Not3.htm
The pictures don't show but if you click the little boxes the image will open. I would suggest saving them off to your local drive. I plan to, now that I know they may disappear.

Regards,
Pete Marshall
Aleran"

Thank you all!

George

Respond to this message   
Peter Marshall
(Login Aleranm)
Missing-Lynx members

Vehicle Names

August 11 2017, 10:52 AM 

I did err in the vehicle names. Ally Sloper, Drogheda are names on MK VI Lt Tanks, and NOT carriers. I'm thinking Belvoir is a Mk VI too, but cannot recall at this time.....old age!!

Pete

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Aleran custom decal pricing

August 11 2017, 4:33 PM 

Hi Peter,

I read from some of Neil Craig's lovely model posts
He gets custom decals from you.

I'm sure a few of us would be interested in some general pricing
say the cost to make...

1.One set of vehicle decals
(2x Unit,AOS, reg/serial & tank name?)

2. a pair of Black & white tank names & turret no.s?

3.multiple tank turret no. names serials just in plain white?
(say 10 tank markings like your US decals).

4.or do you fill a page (your usual size, A6 or A7 size?)?

How does it generating work?

Letter postage rates from US to Europe
& Australasia?

Thanks
Elliott

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

Aleran Decal Sheet UK-1

August 11 2017, 3:49 PM 

Hi George,
Here is the Aleran Sheets Peter mentioned above
[linked image]
couldn't find UK-5
but this one for BEF soft skins looks good too UK-14
[linked image]
Cheers Elliott

This message has been edited by elliott.winthrop from IP address 122.62.45.111 on Aug 11, 2017 3:56 PM

Respond to this message   
Grant Parkin
(Login JustGanCanny)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Decals for BEF Carriers

August 11 2017, 10:33 AM 

George, have you tried Plastic Soldier Company?? I know they produce decals, but not sure what of. Might be worth taking a look at their website.

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Huge.

August 11 2017, 6:11 PM 

I made the mistake of buying Plastic Soldier transfers from E bay only to discover upon arrival that they are huge! i am of course talking as a 76 scale modeller. Even so the divisional squares scaled out at roughly a foot square instead of the 9 inches. My advice is check first before buying.

Respond to this message   
Elliott Winthrop
(Login elliott.winthrop)
Missing-Lynx members

PSC random sizing

August 11 2017, 8:17 PM 

I ordered the 1/72 British decals for the Quad & 25pder kits
they came with 2 sheets
first with AOS in both 15mm & 1/72 scale & then the unit signs in 15mm only?
the German stuff is handy, you get 4 little sheets.
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/151994143489_/Gross-Deutschland-Dec1508-Plastic-Soldier-Company.jpg
unit,
2 x turret no.s (either 100 & 200 range or 300 & 400 range)
& crosses
the Leibstandarte unit decals are really nice,
But I found the Grossdeutschland unit helmets to big.
(OK for a Famo sdkfz 9 (or 7) size vehicle)

I wonder how the 28mm Rubicon decals they also carry, go size wise?

Cheers Elliott

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse