Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1/72 Zimmerit...this time for the Stug III

September 7 2017 at 1:36 PM
Rob Pye  (Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 92.5.80.173

Well I go away for a week on a family vacation to Greece and come back to find that Mike @ Monroe Perdu has been busy not only putting on the final touches to the 1/72 Panther zimmerit project (Revell and Dragon kits) but also on making some zimmerit for Dragon's Stug III kit. For now, enjoy some test shots of the zimmerit applied to a kit. Please let us know what you think of these test shots...and remember, they are just test shots...so your constructive feedback will help make them even better! Oh, and yes, Mike will be doing the main zimmerit patterns for the Stug III series. happy.gif

xZbj8Ynh.jpg

lzvvrV8h.jpg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul Gaertner
(Login PaulGaertner)
Missing-Lynx members

Very nice!...

September 7 2017, 4:40 PM 

...when and how can I order this?

Paul Gaertner

Respond to this message   
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Still is testing but not long now...

September 7 2017, 5:47 PM 

Still in the testing phase but not long now...you just need to be patient. The Panther zimmerit sets (all factory types) for the Ausf A should be ready for the Revell and Dragon kits before long. The Stug sets will no doubt follow-up after quite quickly.

This message has been edited by docpye2 from IP address 92.5.80.173 on Sep 7, 2017 5:48 PM

Respond to this message   
peter harrington
(Login pfhnorm)
Missing-Lynx members

love that, wow!!!

September 7 2017, 9:30 PM 

only tweak i would make is define the square pattern a bit more - my recollection is that the waffle dots were overlayed with squares that were more visible
insane job!!!!!!

Respond to this message   
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

The squares are there...

September 8 2017, 3:45 AM 

The squares are there, as Mike has just scaled down his 1/35 and 1/48 designs for the pattern. One thing I have noticed is that the smaller the scale some things (lines) do get a little lost in the pattern. However, if you make the lines deeper than you get a weird looking pattern that doesn't look right.

Here is a link to a photo of Mike's wonderful 1/48 Alkett zim pattern, and the squares are noticeable.

http://www.monroeperdu.com/Waffle-Pattern-Zimmerit-for-148-Scale-Stug-III_p_85.html

I will pass on the info to Mike to see what he can do. Thanks so much for your feedback, as we really do want to get this right.

Speaking of which, I was talking to Mike last night (8 hr time difference) and he tells me that the Alkett and MiAG patterns for the Dragon Stug III should be ready for release sometime next week, ahead of the Panther (Mike is still waiting to receive some model parts I posted him to finish the Revell kit off). So once Mike has played around a bit more with the pattern we will all be able to recreate scale zimmerit for our Stugs!

Respond to this message   
Matt Ponas
(Login 101MattP)
Missing-Lynx members

I'm IN!!!

September 8 2017, 12:16 AM 

I've had DML's Stug III in the stash for quite a while, just waiting for a zimmermit set!!!

Can NOT wait!

MattP

Respond to this message   
paul bishop
(Login paul_bish)
Missing-Lynx members

Im in too

September 8 2017, 1:38 AM 

I could never get this effect with putty, would look like a 70's artex plaster wall if I did...

https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/untitled.80557/full

Respond to this message   
Paul Giles
(Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille

Excellent...

September 8 2017, 6:14 AM 

Hello Rob,

Well done both of you, this is going to be a big help for my Stugs and I imagine the PzIV will be as good as this. At last an easy way to reproduce the Zimmerit patterns on vehicles that had the stuff on most examples that you see in photos. I am really looking forward to the PzIV stuff as I have a load of Revell H's to get done. Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

excellent!

September 8 2017, 8:58 AM 

But looking forward to the Panther ones first....

Respond to this message   
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Looks like the Stug sets will be first...

September 8 2017, 9:13 AM 

Looks like the Stug sets will be first...followed shortly thereafter by the Panther ones....

Respond to this message   
Larry Fritz
(Login larryfritz)
Missing-Lynx members

Panther Zim sets (Revell)

September 8 2017, 4:06 PM 

Hi Rob:
It might be good to include a bit of extra material in the Zim set for the Revell Panther G:
The mantle and mount seemed to be a bit narrow when I viewed them (after gluing it on!) and when I compared them to the DWGs in PT, The hull also needs correction: The roof of the fighting compartment, ahead of the engine deck, is too short, placing the glassic at too shallow an angle and therefore, making it too long. The fix (that effects the zim set)is to shorten the glassic and add short triangular pieces to extend the side plates. The glassic zim can easily be trimmed. The added triangular pieces and mantle are where the extra material comes into play.
All this , of course, assumes anyone else is as crazy as I am, and fixes the hull and the turret front!
(it probably would not pay to make a specific set for a "corrected" Revell kit).

Good luck: The Zim sets look really good so far!

Respond to this message   
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Your not the only crazy one...I am too! ;)

September 8 2017, 4:21 PM 

I find the Dragon and Revell Panthers to each have pros and cons..and to get a good one, you need to cross-kit some things as well as use aftermarket bits and scratchbuilding.

Thus far, Mike has done zim sets for the Panther A for both the Dragon and Revell kits. Mike will also be doing a set for the Ausf G, based on the Dragon and Revell offerings.

The good thing is that Mike provides extra zim bits in each of his sets, so you do have spare material to play around with.

On the Panther Ausf G, I have tended to do a lot of refinement, using the Dragon gun mantlets over the Revell kit parts. On the side of the gun mantlet, I usually build the extra bits needed from plasticard. So cutting a special piece of zim out of the spare bits will be fairly easy.

All in all, I like both the Dragon and Revell Panther kits...and in any event, I have loads of each of them...so I need to make them work. The Revell Panther D/A has some issues but it also has some nice features that the Dragon kit doesn't have. Plus, once I add OKB drive sprockets and tracks, RB gun barrel, new periscopes, brass rod where needed, etc...and then put Mike's wonderful zimmerit patterns on the kit, well, it really does look the part.

The next task on project Panther is getting Georgi at OKB to redo his commander's cupola. The one he did was absolutely great - just was the wrong dimensions (it happens). However, both the Revell and Dragon Panthers need a new commander's cupola, so this is really a must have if you want a descent Panther.

PS The Zvezda Panther Ausf D is also a really great kit but it is such an early version that it didn't have zim.

This message has been edited by docpye2 from IP address 92.5.87.102 on Sep 8, 2017 4:24 PM

Respond to this message   
Larry Fritz
(Login larryfritz)
Missing-Lynx members

Crazy one (or two?)

September 9 2017, 1:21 AM 

I'm on a tight budget, so I am making all of the improvements from scratch: remove and replace the periscopes on the hull & turret, widen the mantle and its mount (much as you described), new tool racks & tools, nylon screens and .005 plastic frames for the engine deck, etc.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to try to improve the Revell kit tracks. OKB tracks and sprockets to California might break my budget!
What is your opinion on the Revell Panther G idlers? They look like the later pattern idlers, but the outside diameter seems a bit undersized. I've been playing out how to improve them, but I suspect the kit tracks Might not fit around them if I do that. Maybe something else for Georgie's "magic"!
Thank you so much for sharing Mike's in progress stuff, Rob.
Larry.

Respond to this message   
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Panther conversion

September 9 2017, 3:49 AM 

I wish I had the time to do it all from scratch but I simply don't. Plus, there are so many good after market items out there.

As for the drive sprockets and idler, the Revell ones aren't very good (road wheels are okay). What I use to do is replace them with Dragon parts. However, if you want really good ones then OKB's are the best available. Georgi at OKB has done all 4 types of drive sprocket (I am sure he will produce the idler before long), and while you need to do some surgery on the mounts they really look good.

Have fun with your build!

Respond to this message   
Tim Treadway
(Login TimTreadway)
Missing-Lynx members

Zimm

September 8 2017, 12:06 PM 

This looks really great, Rob. Enough with the teasing my wallet is moaning already. Tim Treadway

Respond to this message   
peter van kempen
(Login P.vanKempen)
Missing-Lynx members

Postage advantage, too????

September 8 2017, 1:08 PM 

Ive had a thought about these paper etched patterns, and that is that is should be incurring less postal cost as usual, as sending over at letter post rates could be fair and possible.
Q1: Is this true?
What the stug pattern is concerned, id advice to make a sharp fold on the surfaces. the real zimmerit was not rounded off as the current picture shows.
This is not the fault of the product mind you !
That looks just fine.
Its the application, see pics of the real thing.....
Please carry on , I have saved up some to be among the first orders but if the postage is less I can order more!

Keep us posted and thanks for yr troubles in arranging this for our braille scale.
Oh and about whole sheets:
Q2: these could be commercially attractive priced,too?
Just wondering if you get rewarded for not being lazy and cutting yr own patterns or, already considered, fitting to 1/76 vehicles...
HTH
Cheers ,
Peter

Respond to this message   
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Answers to your Questions

September 8 2017, 3:51 PM 

Hi Peter,

Here are some answers to your questions:

Q1 Postage Costs - Mike sends these out in a regular envelope (letter size), so the postage is like $1.30 or thereabouts. Mike tells me he can put 4 sheets of the 1/72 zim in a single envelope for the same postage, as it is just folder up paper. So yes, postage is really next to nothing.

Q1a Zimmerit Pattern - 1/72 isn't Mike's normal build scale at all, so he is finding it a bit difficult to fit the kits. Mike makes models for a living and runs Monroe Perdu on the side. However, he usually works with much much bigger items, so this is really pushing his eyesight! Hence, the drinking martinis to ease the pain and improve the vision! LOL Seriously, as to the Alkett zim pattern if you fold the edge harder you will get a sharper line. It is really up to the modeller but the pieces are all there. The Stug zim set is scaled down from his bigger sets. Below is a link to his 1/48 rendition of the Alkett and MiAG zim patterns, which will give you an idea of what the 1/72 sets (yes, Mike is producing both patterns for us!) will have (it includes the side skirts!).

Alkett zim

http://www.monroeperdu.com/Waffle-Pattern-Zimmerit-for-148-Scale-Stug-III_p_85.html

MiAG zim

http://www.monroeperdu.com/Checkered-Pattern-Zimmerit-for-148-Scale-Stug-III_p_82.html

Q2 Price for Zimmerit sets - Mike has told me that the price point will be around $10 USD per set, which is a pretty good deal I think given the quality and ease of use.

Hope this answers your questions. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
peter van kempen
(Login P.vanKempen)
Missing-Lynx members

Roger that!

September 8 2017, 5:08 PM 

Respond to this message   
jan willem bakker
(Login jwbakker)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: 1/72 Zimmerit...this time for the Stug III

September 8 2017, 3:24 PM 

hello rob,
how easy is it to distress this paper to make the zimmerit look a little worn and jagged? like missing peices of zimmerit at the edges of for instance the lower hull. also i have to agree with peter with regards to the fold lines on the front part. it looks like a piece of wallpaper was attached to the front.
overall very promising product! thanks once again for making this a possibility for our community
ragards,
jw bakker

Respond to this message   
Rob Pye
(Login docpye2)
Missing-Lynx members

Very easy indeed!

September 8 2017, 4:02 PM 

Creating chipping effects and/or battle damage is really easy given the medium (paper). Mike advises that you primer your kit first then cut out the zim patterns (they are all precut) and then use PVA glue to place on the kit. Once the zim is on you can create chipping and/or battle damage with a knife as you like. You can even do it before applying the zim but it is probably best to do it after so you don't tear things.

I also do 1/48 models and Kevin Townsend has done a really helpful guide to building a Stug III from start to finish, and he used Monroe Perdu's great zim. So have a look at what he has done and you will get an idea how easy this material is to work with.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829/thread/1499183519/1/Stug+III+Ausf+G+take+II

Just scrolled down a 1/3 of the page and you will find a full write-up on Kevin's experience using the MP zimmerit. Many others have used it (including me) and found it really easy to work with, producing great looking and realistic zimmerit that you simply can't achieve via other mediums. As I said before, after being a customer of MIke's 1/48 zim sheets I talked him into giving 1/72 a try, and the seeing really is believing. This is just one of those products, like OKBs tracks, that revolutionize how we make good models.

Please remember people, I am not financially involved in Mike's company - Monroe Perdu - at all. I am just helping Mike out with marketing, research, and motivation! Like the rest of you, I just want to have realistic zimmerit on my German AFVs and this is the best product I have found, vastly superior to PE, putty, or molded on plastic zim (like Dragon does). I have a huge stash of Panthers, Pz IVs, Stugs, etc...and they are all going to benefit from Mike's hard work. Mike has done wonders in 1/48 (and 1/35), and now he is working his magic in 1/72!

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse