Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

SHELF QUEEN CHALLENGE 2017 - Week 19 of 30

September 8 2017 at 8:15 AM
Paul Giles  (Login Spacewolfdad)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille
from IP address 176.250.120.101

Welcome to the 'Shelf Queen Challenge 2017', the annual event where we try to clear the decks of all the neglected builds that have accumulated over the years. To qualify as a 'Shelf Queen' the model must have been started and then put on one side and left, the period of time is not important only that it has been more or less abandoned. Last year many of us managed to get several of our 'Shelf Queens' finished and there is a real feeling of achievement and satisfaction in doing this. This feature is meant as an impetus to get these models finished and the long length (6 months) allows people to fit this in with their modelling schedule. Hopefully it will as well supported as last year and we can get a good gallery at the end of it.

Could I ask you to post any updates you have please...

All the best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Will Alcott
(Login will.alcott)
Missing-Lynx members

OKB Grigorov M109 Part 12 - Finished!

September 8 2017, 10:30 AM 

Finally found the time to finish this one, and just in time to beat the Revell kit to market. Not sure this really counts as a shelf queen, as from start to finish it only took about 11 months.

The OKB kit is OK. It is let down by soft detail in some areas, a very poor representation of the 155 mm gun, and some shape issues with the front hull. I addressed most of hte detail issues, but didn't try to fix the hull shape. This was one of OKB's first full resin kits, and newer kits show a lot of improvement. I should have a full article on the build on OTW soon.

[linked image]

The ACAV gun shield and cupola comes from a Trumpeter kit (with PE 50-cal ammo from the OKB kit). The markings are inspired by the 1/35 Tamiya issue of the Italeri kit which includes a vehicle with the ACAV cupola.

[linked image]

I played around a lot to get a colour I was happy with - it's based on Testors Model Master Olive Drab over a black primer coat, with many thin coats applied. The final colour is probably a bit too light and chalky, but we'll call it scale effect.

[linked image]

I experimented with airbrushing Mig pigments to give a relatively light coating of dust, chiefly on the lower hull . I used Testors universal acrylic thinner as a carrier medium.

[linked image]

The serial numbers, unit codes and LIFT HERE markings were ALPS printed by a friend. The stars are from a variety of kit decal sheets. I searched through the whole decal stash to find an appropriate size of bridge classification sign, but couldn't find anything close. I ended up spraying white and yellow onto clear decal film through a circle template, and then layering the decals to give a solid colour.

[linked image]

The shelf of shelf queens is now empty (at least for armour projects - if only I had the motivation to finish some of the many stalled aircraft on the shelf). I've got three more Vietnam-era OKB kits in the stash, but think I'll take a break before tackling another one...

Will

Respond to this message   
Bob Walls
(Login 3rdArmM_4)
Missing-Lynx members

Nice looking

September 8 2017, 10:39 AM 

I think the colors look fine and just the right amount of weathering.

Bob

Respond to this message   
Graham Mansell
(Login GMansell)
Missing-Lynx members

Looks great!!!! All that effort paid off, that will look...

September 8 2017, 11:54 AM 

...good beside your Riich 109s!??

Respond to this message   
Will Alcott
(Login will.alcott)
Missing-Lynx members

Riich M109s...

September 8 2017, 12:08 PM 

...are too modern for me, though the latest and greatest M109A7 looks really cool, and I see the ACAV shield on mine was 50 years ahead of its time!

Now if someone would do the ridiculously under-gunned M108, I could build one of the handful used by the Aussies in Vietnam!

Will

Respond to this message   
Tim Treadway
(Login TimTreadway)
Missing-Lynx members

M109

September 8 2017, 12:03 PM 

Really great job Will. I will be on the lookout for that article. Tim Treadway

Respond to this message   
Tim Neate
(Login Tim_Neate)
Missing-Lynx members

Great job!

September 8 2017, 4:00 PM 

Hi Will

Great to see the M109 finished. You've made a fantastic job of it. I love the addition of the ACAV gun shield, which makes this version of the M109 a lot more interesting. The paint finish is excellent with really nice subtle weahering of red earth of Vietnam.

Great job!

Regards
Tim

Respond to this message   
Will Alcott
(Login will.alcott)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Tim

September 8 2017, 5:58 PM 

I still feel a tinge of regret that I didn't do the extra work you did to correct the shape of the front end.

I look forwards to seeing your's finished one of these days!

Will

Respond to this message   
Alex Clark
(Login alexclark)
MODERATORS ONLY - Braille

Looks great!

September 9 2017, 2:56 AM 

Hi Will

You've done a lovely job with that, I really like the subtle weathering and finish.

Alex

Respond to this message   
paul bishop
(Login paul_bish)
Missing-Lynx members

very nice indeed

September 9 2017, 5:16 AM 

As stated above the ACAV shield looks great, makes it look like a very different vehicle. And you have nailed the red laterite earth too

Respond to this message   
Bob Walls
(Login 3rdArmM_4)
Missing-Lynx members

M32 kit bash using UM and Heller kits

September 9 2017, 12:28 PM 

Here is a UM M32 Sherman M4 based tank recovery vehicle with mine roller. I started this about 18-24 months ago with the idea I'd use a Dragon kit for the hull, wheels and tracks and the UM parts for the, fixed turret, mine roller and boom. Set it aside until I decided which Dragon Sherman (M4 or M4A1) I was going to give up for the kit bash. Then I picked up a Heller M4 and was going to us it for Normandy wadder tank.

Looking at the Heller kit, I decided to use it as the donor hull and running gear. I have added a winch and seats to the inside Hull and "turret".

[imghttps://i.imgur.com/VCe2JAdl.jpg[/img]

[imghttps://i.imgur.com/t1gGahCl.jpg[/img]

The mine roller parts are next up after I get the running gear installed. The UM parts for the recovery tank (turret, boom, mine roller) are "okay" and very usable. Not that impressed with the UM's Sherman parts (track, three piece transmission cover ,etc) compared to Dragon or Heller.

Bob

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse