Finally found the time to finish this one, and just in time to beat the Revell kit to market. Not sure this really counts as a shelf queen, as from start to finish it only took about 11 months.
The OKB kit is OK. It is let down by soft detail in some areas, a very poor representation of the 155 mm gun, and some shape issues with the front hull. I addressed most of hte detail issues, but didn't try to fix the hull shape. This was one of OKB's first full resin kits, and newer kits show a lot of improvement. I should have a full article on the build on OTW soon.
The ACAV gun shield and cupola comes from a Trumpeter kit (with PE 50-cal ammo from the OKB kit). The markings are inspired by the 1/35 Tamiya issue of the Italeri kit which includes a vehicle with the ACAV cupola.
I played around a lot to get a colour I was happy with - it's based on Testors Model Master Olive Drab over a black primer coat, with many thin coats applied. The final colour is probably a bit too light and chalky, but we'll call it scale effect.
I experimented with airbrushing Mig pigments to give a relatively light coating of dust, chiefly on the lower hull . I used Testors universal acrylic thinner as a carrier medium.
The serial numbers, unit codes and LIFT HERE markings were ALPS printed by a friend. The stars are from a variety of kit decal sheets. I searched through the whole decal stash to find an appropriate size of bridge classification sign, but couldn't find anything close. I ended up spraying white and yellow onto clear decal film through a circle template, and then layering the decals to give a solid colour.
The shelf of shelf queens is now empty (at least for armour projects - if only I had the motivation to finish some of the many stalled aircraft on the shelf). I've got three more Vietnam-era OKB kits in the stash, but think I'll take a break before tackling another one...