Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Best way to display an interior of an AFV?

September 9 2017 at 1:05 PM
Simon Barnes   (Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 86.187.160.117

Before I go mad and build an interior for the BMP 3, anyone know of a good way yo display it? Knowing its there, defeats the purpose, leaving the hatches open is ok, but you only see round the hatches, I want to give some idea of the cramped space in a modern AFV, there is also, what's the best way to light it ? Has anybody ever done it before?

Cheers,
Simon.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill Scriven
(Login billscriven)
Missing-Lynx members

How about ...

September 9 2017, 4:41 PM 

... cutaway. Chop out part of the side, and perhaps include one or two crew figures sitting in the rear which would help show how cramped it is. You could also cut away part of the driving compartment to allow a view into the interior. I recall seeing a 1:72 model of a Flower Class Corvette at Telford that had various bits of the hull opened up so that you could see the interior (lit by LEDs) that the builder had modelled, and very impressive it was. Of course, you do end up compromising the model, but that may be a price you are willing to pay.

Bill

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

Crew figures as really a must

September 10 2017, 11:24 AM 

To get a perspective, I don't mind cutting part of the hull away to show the internal, I know it looks OK in larger scales but wondered how it would transfer to smaller scale, my initial thoughts were it would be too dark to see anything but I suppose if I could cleverly use fibre optics as Andrew suggested for the internal lights, and fit the illumination source into the engine compartment, sounds like a plan!??

Respond to this message   
Andrew deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Catch 22

September 10 2017, 1:46 AM 

Hi
I like to add interiors to my tanks and do enjoy the challenge even if I'm the only one to know it's there. However I have never found a way or seen one tank with an interior that shows off the full detail added without compromising the shape of the tank or making the interior look more spacious than it is. Ie cut outs, removed turret, factory build etc. So Catch 22.

Possibly the nearest I have seen is David Parkers 1/16 Tiger 2 build. This had full interior but the turret and hull roof were detachable. But then you lose the aspect of a cramped interior.

As stated I think to achieve your goal of showing how cramped the BMP interior is you need to add some figures in situ other wise you lose the perspective. Adding figures means blocking out detail. I do remember in an old Mil Mod (Airfix) Annual from the 1970s someone built a 1/72 Tiger 1 with the full interior and crew in combat positions. He did use the cut at style to show it all off. But only cut away the left side so from the right you saw a complete Tiger. On second thoughts maybe this was the best way to do it.

So as I said catch 22

As to lighting. Search You Tube. I've recall seeing some how to videos on there for Sci Fi stuff with fibre optics.

Regards
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

It is mainly the cramped space I want to portray

September 10 2017, 11:34 AM 

And of course as much detail as possible, knowing that some of it would be hidden by figures, leaving part of the side along the crew compartment could achieve the effect, and fibre optics will not make it too dark, providing of course I can work it into the internal lighting, could be a fun project πŸ˜€

I have part built an interior once, but even though the rear hatches are large not a lot can be seen.
[linked image]

I have decided to close this one up, I now have a lot more and better information on the interior and so would like to do a new and better one.

Respond to this message   
Ilian Filipov
(Login ilfil)
Missing-Lynx members

You'd better stay sane

September 10 2017, 4:19 AM 

Hi Simon,
IMHO the only way to do this is more or less this, but I have to admit it looks absolutely insane to me:

sws

Better release the steam with something else! (Zvezda Iskander is launched).
Cheers!

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

I did think about it!

September 10 2017, 11:16 AM 

But decided against as I wouldn't show the cramped conditions, it will be interesting to see the difference between Modelcollect and Zvesda's Iskander, I am partway through building 3 Modelcollect ones, but am currently stuck on the roof doors for the missile bays, they need a bit if refining in detail and I'm stuck how to do it😒

Respond to this message   
Patrick Mondria
(Login Mondria)
Missing-Lynx members

cut halfway

September 11 2017, 4:13 PM 

maybe cut halfway, I think Steve Zaloga did that with a T-34 and in real life a couple of museums as well
Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

An interesting concept

September 11 2017, 4:23 PM 

I have seen the Centurion in bovingtoon done this way, it shows the interior well, but even with the crew in, it doesn't convey the cramped conditions of the real thing, if I can't get the lights to work though, I may have to go this way. I have got the led and fibre optic on the way, I will get to play soon and find out, the trick is not to get carried away and put every light onπŸ˜€

Respond to this message   
Patrick Mondria
(Login Mondria)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: An interesting concept

September 12 2017, 12:57 PM 

maybe not split down the middle but more only leave out the side, I think it will look more cramped that with a full crew anyway. but good luck for sure it will look great wen you are done
Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse