Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Panzer '46 question

September 12 2017 at 11:47 AM
Ilian Filipov  (Login ilfil)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 93.123.94.128

Can somebody explain me where is the driver of this thing?

pz1

pz2

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
David PĂ©rez del Palomar
(Login VladMad)
Missing-Lynx members

Maybe...

September 12 2017, 12:09 PM 

Hi Ilian

If we know that germans are not small people... wink.gif Maybe, Was it a RC tank?

Best regards

Respond to this message   
Grant Parkin
(Login JustGanCanny)
Missing-Lynx members

Not sure, but...

September 12 2017, 1:34 PM 

I would assume the drive was designed to be at the front, with the engine in the middle, and fighting compartment behind...similar to the Maus layout...or maybe he was designed to sit next to, or just lower, then the gun...similar to a JagdPanther layout????

Either way, it's a badly designed/thought out model by Modelcollect...and I do like Panzer '46 subjects.

This message has been edited by JustGanCanny from IP address 94.10.195.202 on Sep 12, 2017 1:40 PM

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Clearly!

September 12 2017, 1:50 PM 

AWOL!!

Respond to this message   
peter van kempen
(Login P.vanKempen)
Missing-Lynx members

steered by footpedals and guided by commander/cupola

September 12 2017, 5:25 PM 

After all seems there were not many crews left in 1946, so getting this contraption operational with only two men, commander/driver , and a gunner/loader must have been a must........happy.gif
Hence no machinegun, nobody aboard to fire it and a standoff design ,as this gun in fixed mount only was good use at distances.
My two cents.
Enjoy modelling,
Peter

Respond to this message   
Andrew Smith
(Login Sgt.Squarehead)
Missing-Lynx members

Interned?

September 12 2017, 9:00 PM 

IIRC the war ended (Rather badly for ze Germans!) in 1945? wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Harry Dente
(Login hdente)
Missing-Lynx members

No idea about the driver, but clearly intended for Russian winters

September 13 2017, 1:11 PM 

as the exhausts duct through the fighting compartment to the rear plate. Would have been nice and toasty inside! Seriously, they could have copied the Archer with this wiffer and put the driver in "run away!' position, since that's what it'd have spent most of its time doing. Or maybe they wanted to expose the crew to the heat to prepare them for the "warmth" of a few surprise packages delivered via B-29, or maybe B-36s in 46/47.

Respond to this message   
Patrick Mondria
(Login Mondria)
Missing-Lynx members

sadly far to common in what-if tanks

September 13 2017, 5:36 PM 

these simple mistakes are sadly far to common, not where is the driver sitting, why are the exhaust placed there but also why is the side armor as think as the frontal armor? would have been much better if they had sticked with the Elephant/Ferdinand layout
Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   
Kent McKesson
(Login SniperPatrol)
Missing-Lynx members

I just want to know where the legs will attach

September 13 2017, 10:02 PM 

Sorry, but I could not resist. This is like discussing why Bugs Bunny can talk or Elmer Fudd had a jacket but no pants.

Admittedly some of the previous comments are very entertaining (i.e. exhaust for heat or warmth from a B29).

Respond to this message   
Dan Rosecrans
(Login dprosecrans)
Missing-Lynx members

Not my cup of.........

September 13 2017, 10:37 PM 

coffee, but I would have added a driver hatch, from a T-34, at the bottom of
the gun mantlet on one side and a periscope and MG mount for close-in fighting
on the other side for the gunner/RO. As for the thick side armor, I think they
knew that it would be 'all to easy' to flank this 'thing'. Think 'demise of more
than a few Tigers'. There would be no room at the front, with final drives and
transmission. The only other thing I would do is give the gunner a more sophis-
ticated fire control system. Most, if not all, tanks in '46 would have some form
of IR, I think. Fun to give the mind a whirl, anyway......Dan

Respond to this message   
Dave Rhodes
(Login DaveRhodes)
Missing-Lynx members

Got it!

September 15 2017, 7:04 AM 

This thing had no crew at all but was intended to be a remote control vehicle guided by television cameras. Adolf would have had a huge Aeriel on the top of his Bunker and he would have defeated all the Allied tanks by twiddling his thumbs on the keypad. That makes as much sense as the Modelcollect subject!

Respond to this message   
Grant Parkin
(Login JustGanCanny)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Got it!

September 15 2017, 8:37 AM 

Dave, that makes more sense than the Modelcollect kit!! Some of these 'paper' panzers were actually drawn up on paper, (even if they never made it into production), so the plans for 'who sits were' must have been made, or at least thought out?? If Modelcollect put a bit more thought into the design of the kit, then they could have made it better.

Anyway, I'll probably still buy one, and as another 'poster' on here has said, make a few 'tweaks' to make it look more realistic.

Grant

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

Easy fix

September 15 2017, 9:18 AM 

Just put a vision slot in the superstructure, fixed! Although why the Germans would move away from the traditional jagdpazer concept is harder to fathom, looks like it would flip backwards with the first shot!

Respond to this message   
Dave Haine
(Login braillescaledave)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Panzer '46 question

September 16 2017, 2:54 AM 

No room for the crew, even when not firing. The recoil on a 128mm gun is huge- the turret ring on a Chieftain (120mm) and the turret bustle gives you a clue. With that size gun housing they would have needed a recoil damper, which wouldn't be small either.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse