Home > Discussion Groups > Braille Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

T-55 Advice

September 12 2017 at 8:47 PM
Andrew Smith  (Login Sgt.Squarehead)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 109.154.47.212

Hi all.....After a long time away from the bench, I've decided to have a bash at a build that's outside my usual (WWI-II only) field, to whit, I'd like to do this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJRWKBoXoAAA5pf.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJCO_FYXYAMkZv2.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJCPGLcWAAAhUW0.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJCPHyvXkAA0Viw.jpg

I've got the Revell T-55 & ACE Type 59 in the stash, the Trumpeter T-55 with the mine-roller is on the way. I have OKB wheels & track, but I understand I'm going to need T-72 track for this one (OKB again at a guess), I also have a turned barrel but apparently that will need a thermal sleeve.

Recommendations for the best parts to use in this build would be very helpful (I've heard bad things about Revell's turret for instance), I'm obviously going to have to do some scratch-building for this one, but any recommendations for useful aftermarket to reduce the workload would also be very welcome.

All the best
Andy S.

This message has been edited by Sgt.Squarehead from IP address 109.154.47.212 on Sep 12, 2017 8:49 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

Some answers

September 13 2017, 4:16 AM 

Each kit has its more than fair share of problems, Ace is still probably the most accurate of the 3, but is harder to build, trumpeter, is easier but the engine deck is all wrong for a T 55, and Revell,.... Well it's good for bits, the other bad news is, none of them will give you what you want! For instance the turret is very specific, around the loaders hatch and is welded rather that the bolted one on the Ace and Revell kits, Tankograd do an upgrade for the T 55AM which has this type of turret, it will also give you the KTD laser range finder over the main gun, the side skirts and mounting for the smoke discharges, but not the mortars themselves, the turret comes with the horse shoe armour and extra armour for the glacis and underneath which will not be needed, but it does come with some other useful items. They also do a nice set of T 72 tracks and wheels ( but you already have them, although the Revell ones are quite good).
The best way to approach this (would have been to buy the HM model😀) is possibly the Ace upper and Trumpeter lower hulls, although I have never tried it so I am not sure how they would fit together, and then parts from the Revell kit for the fuel tanks and bins etc, the problem with the Revell kit aside from the turret issues, is that the main hull is too short, messing up the wheel spacing, if it was too short overall, you could get away with it, but it loses it length in the rear quarter of the vehicle I.e just over the engine deck alone! Forward of this the hull top is fine, the lower hull is wrong because they have tried to cram full sized wheels into a shorter space. You could correct the engine deck either by rebuilding or using one of the other kits as a donor, but the lower hull would have to come from elsewhere.
Note. Both the Ace and trumpeter kits come without the engineering attachment points on the lower hull, although wou can probably get away with this using the trumpeter KMT if not the Revell one is a separate item and with some slight modification can be fitted to either kit.
Zedval used to do a thermal jacketed main gun, but they are hard to get hold of they do also do the smoke mortars, I am sure but not certain that they did a whole set for the T 55AM main gun, mortars and antennas.

This should be mostly correct although it is from the top of my head, if I have missed anything just ask

Respond to this message   
Andrew Smith
(Login Sgt.Squarehead)
Missing-Lynx members

Cheers Simon (& buggeration)!

September 13 2017, 4:03 PM 

Meh! That's not the best news I've had, I've also discovered that Hobbyboss copied an early prototype of the mine-roller rather than the mass produced version seen in the image! I'm probably going to have to go with an 'artistic impression' rather than an accurate model by the sounds of things.

Appreciate the advice all the same, I'll mull it over and decide where to go (what to buy next), on which subject, what is this "would have been to buy the HM model" of which you speak? Found it, happier with a kit TBH.

Am I correct in saying that the gun I'm after is the D10-T2S? If so I'm currently screwed. I can find the D10 & D10-T2 plus a host of other goodies, but not that one.

This message has been edited by Sgt.Squarehead from IP address 109.154.47.212 on Sep 13, 2017 4:26 PM

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

Mine rollers. Guns and HM

September 14 2017, 3:23 AM 

If you really want to splash out, zedval do a resin KMT mine roller, and a set for the T 55M with antenna smoke mortars MGs and a D10T2 which is the best you are going to get, the thermal sleeve will have to be added whichever one you use, but judging by the battered state in the photos, this shouldn't be too hard. I mentioned the HM kit, as in reality although it is ready made, it does come apart and is a better starting point than any kit, as it gives you the correct hull and turret (but not turret, for this version) although the wheels and tracks still need to be replaced, the only drawback is that the turret is metal, but the rest is plastic, I managed to pick a few of them up fairly cheap but they can be expensive.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Smith
(Login Sgt.Squarehead)
Missing-Lynx members

I could only find a KMT-7

September 14 2017, 9:08 PM 

But for this build, I'm happy to get what I need, I'd actually like to finish this one! wink.gif

The Trumpeter kit turned up this morning, I'm reasonably confident that I can make the necessary modifications for a KMT-5M, I'll weigh up the various options and post some pictures once I get started.

Cheers for your continued help and advice, it is very, very welcome.

Respond to this message   
Grant Parkin
(Login JustGanCanny)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: T-55 Advice

September 13 2017, 10:26 AM 

Hello Andrew, Plastic Soldier Company are in the process of doing/releasing (hopefully) a T-55 in 1/72nd scale.

It will be a 'wargames' model, but might be useful as the 'donor' kit for you to make all your modifications?

It hasn't been released yet, as Will Townsend, (the owner of PSC), is doing a bit of a 'crowd funding' exercise to raise enough cash to get this released.

It might be worth you while trying to contact them through Facebook to see how much progress this kit has made.

Hope this helps??

Grant

Respond to this message   
Andrew Smith
(Login Sgt.Squarehead)
Missing-Lynx members

Cheers Grant

September 13 2017, 4:05 PM 

I'll maybe take a look, not really a Facebook user though.

Respond to this message   
Grant Parkin
(Login JustGanCanny)
Missing-Lynx members

Website as well

September 14 2017, 1:40 AM 

Hello Andrew, PSC also have a website...just Google Plastic Soldier Company.

Hope that helps??

Grant

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

Here's hoping they don't just enlarge their 15mm kit

September 14 2017, 7:21 AM 

That has some serious issues although I can only judge by the photos.

Respond to this message   
Grant Parkin
(Login JustGanCanny)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Here's hoping they don't just enlarge their 15mm kit

September 14 2017, 11:12 AM 

I can't comment on that Simon, as I'm not a 15mm wargamer, (or any scale wargamer), and I haven't seen the sprues...but saying that I know nothing about Soviet era tanks, so I wouldn't know if it was correctly modelled/moulded or not.

Grant

Respond to this message   
David Clark
(Login DavidJClark)
Missing-Lynx members

Nice subject!

September 14 2017, 7:18 AM 

Andy

I suspected Simon would provide useful advice about one of his favourite subjects happy.gif

That is a great subject for a model and would be quite different from the usual run of T-55s. Do you have any more information about it?

Cheers

David

Respond to this message   
Simon Barnes
(Login sbarnes60)
Missing-Lynx members

Syrian army

September 14 2017, 7:32 AM 

Been recently seen clearing a path to a freely liberated area in Syria, more than likely due to the KTD rangefinder ( the normal Syrian mod is a North Korean version) it is from Russian stocks, although they have recently donated T 62Ms so this could have been some time ago.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Smith
(Login Sgt.Squarehead)
Missing-Lynx members

Can't embed the video, but.....

September 14 2017, 9:18 PM 

Here's the URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb1M1wbEj0U&feature=youtu.be

Includes on-board footage during mine-clearing operations on the approaches to Deir ez Zor (23:00 onwards or thereabouts).

I believe the rangefinder may be a 'Viper', some pretty unique stuff is showing up on Syrian armour, including a couple of active countermeasure systems not unlike Shtora.

This message has been edited by Sgt.Squarehead from IP address 109.154.47.212 on Sep 14, 2017 9:25 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse