Insulting Language and Political Subjects on the General ForumNovember 15 2011 at 3:04 AM
|Brett Green - Editor (Premier Login aytron)|
MODERATORS ONLY - Constructive comments
from IP address 22.214.171.124
I have been dismayed at the direction of a number of threads on the General Forum recently.
General holds a unique place amongst Missing-Lynx's Forums. While other Forums are limited to very specific subject areas (so it is easier to define what is "on-topic"), General has a broader brief.
To quote the guidelines, the General Forum's brief is "any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements."
Despite the specific limits of this brief to military modelling topics, I have always recognised that this is a community, and that the guidelines may sometimes be stretched to accommodate the general interests of Missing-Lynx's members. We frequently see postings about reference books, photographs, show reports, retail outlets, other useful websites and much more.
I have never had a particular problem with these broader subjects, which clearly have a connection to our hobby (although the link may be tenuous at times).
Recently, however, I have noticed an upswing in insulting behaviour and subjects that might be interpreted as political.
Please note that politics of any persuasion, insulting behaviour and bad language will not be tolerated on the General or any other of Missing-Lynxs Forums. These postings will be deleted, and visitors may be banned from further participation without warning.
As a reminder, here are four of the key guidelines that apply to all of Missing-Lynx's Forums:
* Profanity or obscenities of any kind are not permitted, not even if disguised with *asterisks. Please remember that we are a diverse community of individuals with varying standards, and there may be minors present.
* Slanderous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, insulting, threatening and harassing comments are not tolerated.
* No personal attacks or "flames" are allowed. Flames are defined as comments that reflect upon the person instead of their opinion.
* Political comments of any persuasion are not permitted and will be deleted immediately.
These guidelines have helped maintain the usefulness and community spirit of Missing-Lynx for more than 12 years, and I will not hesitate to apply them as required.
Thanks and bye for now,
Brett Green - Editor
- One addendum, if I may? - Jens O. Mehner on Nov 15, 2011, 8:49 AM
- I only like humans! - Ed Keene on Nov 16, 2011, 9:52 PM
- In order to avoid further confusion... - Roy Stevens on Nov 15, 2011, 8:58 AM
- National Pride - Mark Aldrich on Nov 15, 2011, 11:13 AM
- National Pride defined - David Byrden on Nov 18, 2011, 7:54 AM