Home > Discussion Groups > General

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

A tale of bafflement and irritation. Yes, it's Cromwell again.

February 17 2012 at 1:17 PM
David Hale  (Login DavidHale)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 81.178.1.73

This will be a long tale so bear with me. You might want to get a cup of tea.

I've been kicking around these parts for a long time, although I don't post much. I've been making models since I was a nipper, and I've read Military Modelling since the seventies. I don't post much here but I must have been using this forum since around 2002 or so. So I know about Mr Brown and Cromwell Models.

However, I've also met Gordon at one of the shows and bought some kits directly from him. Early last year I e-mailed him for his product list; it all looked interesting but I didn't order anything at that time. Christmas comes and I got a little bit of money so I did a little bit of ordering. I ordered from Hannants, Tracks and Troops, Bison Decals and Cromwell. I e-mailed my order through to Cromwell, had a few e-mails backwards and forwards with Gordon about some of his future models and all was well. I knew his reputation; I tend to be too trusting and because he seemed to get straight back to me I felt ok about ordering.

You know where this is going, don't you?

I ordered just before the new year and all the stuff from Hannants, T + T and Bison came promptly within a few days. It's only small stuff, not much money. The Cromwell stuff didn't turn up. I waited a week or three, then e-mailed him. Heard nothing so e-mailed again. Still didn't hear so I opened up a dispute through the PayPal dispute system (you have to do this within 45 days of ordering on their system) and I posted on the thread a page or so down. Low and behold, within an hour or 2 Gordon e-mailed me saying demand was greater than supply etc etc, it would definitely be gong out that day or Monday at the latest (last Monday, 13th Feb). Great thinks I, I'll give him a chance and leave it till Thursday.

Well, Thursday arrived. So did the postman but he was empty handed. So I e-mailed Gordon a couple of times, didn't hear anything so e-mailed again this morning saying that I was assuming he was going to default on my order and that I would pursue my money through the PayPal dispute system. Once again within an hour and a half of my e-mail Gordon replied saying he couldn't find my address and could I send it to him. So I did. I e-mailed him once more asking if the models had been posted and the response is "Yes David very pleased to say your kits were posted earlier on receipt of your address by 1st class post."

Now, at this stage I don't know if they have been posted or not. Hopefully I'll know tomorrow/Monday. I will obviously let you all know if anything arrives. If they don't, big deal - I'll go through the PayPal system, get my money back, have him marked as a bad trader and add my voice to the many that have expressed disappointment before me. I hope I don't have to.

That's obviously the irritation. So why the bafflement? Well, these are only little model kits of tanks at the end of the day, it's not like we're trying to find a cure for cancer. Make a master, make a mold, pour in the resin, post them out + earn some money. Simple. It's not rocket science. And yes I do know how it works - and here comes my own sob story. We've all heard Gordons, now he's going to hear mine.

I was a professional modelmaker for 20 years. For 11 of those years I ran an architectural modelmaking company in central London. I had a staff of 15 and 3600sqft of workshop space near Clerkenwell. I have made one or two masters in my time and poured one or two drops of resin. So I know what I'm talking about. I had to keep clients happy, respond to deadlines and produce accurate work. So I know what I'm talking about. I had to find, employ, pay and keep happy a staff of 15. So I know what I'm talking about. For years on end. And my web site is still live; e-mail me if you want the web address.

I lost my business in 2009; I'm one of the recession statistics. I've had to go bankrupt and nearly lost everything. I kept my house by the skin of my teeth so my family still have a roof over their head. Anyway, onwards and upwards; I'm now a Student Paramedic working for one of the Ambulance Services. Being a student means that money is very, very tight; I don't have money to waste. So when my parents gave me a little for Christmas I thought I'd treat myself to a few models to entertain myself. So Gordon, if I don't get any models in the very near future I WILL get my money back. I can't afford for you to waste it for me.

Gordon, I don't understand you. You have potentially a nice little business; no-one questions the quality of your work, it is excellent. You would sell plenty if, as you've been told many, many times before, you made the masters and got someone to handle to customer side of things. Even in these days of austerity there is a viable business for two people in your work. However, I won't buy directly from you again after this. I will buy from you if I see you at a show and I can take it away there and then or if I see another trader offering your models. But not directly from you. Now here comes a warning. Gordon, as I've said I lost my business. It is THE most stressful thing that has ever happened to me - you have no idea how bad it is until you've been through it. Don't go there. Just get a grip, honour ALL your orders, draw a line under this and start again. Because I've a feeling that there is a large head of steam building up against you and you really, really don't want to let it go that far.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Bafflement for sure. - Gary Owsley on Feb 17, 2012, 2:09 PM
    1. Re: Bafflement for sure. - Chris Meddings on Feb 17, 2012, 7:17 PM
      1. How does it help? - Gary Owsley on Feb 18, 2012, 1:09 AM
        1. No... - David Hale on Feb 18, 2012, 5:08 AM

2. Re: A tale of bafflement and irritation. Yes, it's Cromwell again. - Graeme Davidson on Feb 17, 2012, 4:16 PM
    1. Well... - David Hale on Feb 18, 2012, 5:09 AM

3. A Simple Answer - Al Bowie on Feb 17, 2012, 8:50 PM
    1. More applause for taking on the responsibility... - Roy Stevens on Feb 18, 2012, 6:53 PM
      1. Expungement - Al Bowie on Feb 19, 2012, 12:58 AM
        1. Cheers Al!!! Keeping the peace here must at times be a thankless task! ...n/t - Roy Stevens on Feb 19, 2012, 10:45 PM
    2. Again, BRAVO!!!! Al nt - bobCollignon on Feb 18, 2012, 8:38 PM

4. surprise, surprise - Julian Marles on Feb 17, 2012, 11:24 PM
  6. There's a thing - David Hale on Feb 18, 2012, 5:21 AM
    1. Good for you - Rob Gronovius on Feb 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
      1. Agreed - Fernando Cuenca on Feb 18, 2012, 5:33 PM
    2. He must be feeling the heat. - Gary Owsley on Feb 18, 2012, 6:32 PM

7. Occam's Razor - D McKeever on Feb 18, 2012, 11:50 AM
    1. David - Roger Cockburn on Feb 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
      1. You misunderstood, I have never bought anything - D McKeever on Feb 18, 2012, 1:28 PM
        1. I thought - Chris Meddings on Feb 18, 2012, 3:03 PM
          1. Re: I thought - D McKeever on Feb 18, 2012, 3:07 PM
            1. Sorry David McKeever - Roger Cockburn on Feb 19, 2012, 4:54 AM

8. Typical... - Ray Blythe. on Feb 18, 2012, 11:39 PM
  10. Gordo strikes again - Julian Marles on Feb 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
  12. not baffling, just fraud - Julian Marles on Feb 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
  14. pay pal window - Julian Marles on Feb 19, 2012, 7:06 PM
    1. Already answered (link inside) or see reply 5 in this thread. - Jens O. Mehner on Feb 20, 2012, 5:19 AM
      1. Re: Already answered - Julian Marles on Feb 22, 2012, 9:30 PM
        1. Some personal experiences of Gordon Brown - Rob on Feb 25, 2012, 1:15 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse