Home > Discussion Groups > General

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Best way to straighten out warped resin parts.

May 28 2008 at 11:38 AM
B Koller  (Login NB-Vet)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 132.228.195.207

Blowing off the dust an old Hobby Fan set for the AFV M10.

Any suggestions?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fernando Cuenca
(Login xplan303ex)
Missing-Lynx members

Boiling water

May 28 2008, 11:49 AM 

With a pair of tweezers you can hold the piece inside some boiling water so it warms up enough that you can straighten it. Go sloooowly. It will take some time.

xPLAN303Ex: The portrait of the artist I am not.
http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

Respond to this message   
B Koller
(Login NB-Vet)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Fernado! n/t

May 28 2008, 12:04 PM 

n/t

Respond to this message   
Saul Garcia
(Login sharkmouth)
Missing-Lynx members

Steps to straighten out warped resin parts.

May 28 2008, 4:27 PM 

Many times a kit which has been stored will become warped. Whether at the stockist or in your stash, pressure or temperature may cause thin long items to warp.

Here are some thin resin Panzer 38 (t) sprockets that were deformed during shipment. The inset shows them after a dip.

The technique is simple and based on the principle that resin has memory. If the manufacturer allowed the resin to fully cure in a true and level mold, the resin will return to the shape it had in the mold if given the opportunity.

I usually boil water and put it into a clear container so I can see the effect of the heat. Here I am using a Pyrex measuring cup as my normal coffee press jar is too unsightly

Note that one must hold the item by the carrier sprue. In the case above, this was not a good idea as the warmed up resin sprocket began to deform from the weight of the water. I had to hold one of the fins between the sprockets and re dip it.

The idea is to dip the item into the water slowly and watch it relax into the proper shape. This means that the item can not touch any of the sides or bottom.

After the proper shape if regained, slowly remove the item from the hot water and dip into cold water. After it is in the cold water, it can be placed onto a towel to air dry.

Here we have Tank Work Shop's British Style Wading Kit as it came out of the package. I did NOT remove the casting blocks and used them as a handle to dip them into the hot water.

Post dip, note the water droplets still on it:

This has worked on EVERY warped item I have except for an Eastern European one which I suspect was warped in the mold. I have straightened out items as delicate as the above to thicker hulls (which warped under pressure).

The bottom line is to NOT touch, push, prod, the piece and allow it to regain the original shape on its own. Believe me, it's memory is a lot better than you can do when it comes to straightening out gun barrels!

Here is a (poor) quality video of the process:
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k247/sharkmouth/TWS/Marder%20II/?action=view¤t=MarderIIEngine.flv

I hope this quick tip is of help.

Regards,

Saúl García

Respond to this message   
roy chow
(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members

Fantastic tutorial!

May 28 2008, 6:18 PM 

Great stuff Saul! I have a part that I'm gonna do this with tonight

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   
Chuck Aleshire
(Login ChuckAleshire)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Saul!

May 28 2008, 7:00 PM 

Man that's really cool! Thanks for taking the time to post this method Saul! I too have a candidate for this treatment!

Chuck

Respond to this message   
Stefan Bernet
(Login bernets)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks man!

May 29 2008, 7:53 AM 

Hi Saul
thanks for this tutorial, I have a couple of candidates for this in my stash.
Will start the dipping tonight, maybe I will come to appreciate those resin barrels afterall.

Cheers

Stefan

Respond to this message   
Bruno COLLIN
(Login brunocollin)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Best way to straighten out warped resin parts.

May 29 2008, 7:57 AM 

You can use a mirowave oven, too.
No use to hold the part.

Bruno COLLIN

Respond to this message   
Saul Garcia
(Login sharkmouth)
Missing-Lynx members

I need to try this to see if it works on its own memory...

May 29 2008, 11:28 AM 

or if manipulation (which I try to avoid) will be necessary to achieve the result I want.

Either way, thanks/merci Bruno!

Regards,

Saúl García

Respond to this message   
B Koller
(Login NB-Vet)
Missing-Lynx members

Many Thanks to ALL!!n/t

May 29 2008, 11:04 AM 

N/t

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index