Home > Discussion Groups > General

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Any suggestions for Flexable/Armoured Cable

June 18 2012 at 3:34 PM
Anthony Caryl  (Login caryl576)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 82.36.100.166

I'm having trouble coming up with something to represent the corrigated type of flexable or armoured cable.

If it's a straight run guitar string works ok, but it's to difficult to bend smoothly for anything more complicated.

Does anybody have any suggestions? (or know an aftermarket supplier of a dedicated replica?)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Noe Trevino
(Login 091978)
Missing-Lynx members

cable

June 18 2012, 4:13 PM 

In one of the latest issues of MMiR there kit build up where the builder used solder

Respond to this message   
John Franklin
(Login JBF1993)
Missing-Lynx members

Cable

June 18 2012, 4:31 PM 

Springs and the outer cover of the gitfiddle string comes in many sizes might do ya

Respond to this message   
Anthony Caryl
(Login caryl576)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Cable

June 18 2012, 4:36 PM 

What I'm trying to replicate is the armoured cable shown of this Katyusha picture

(borrowed from the Prime Portal set by Yuri Pasholock for discussion purposes only I'll delete it after the quetion has been answered)

http://www.primeportal.net/artillery/yuri_pasholok/bm-13_zis-6_based/index.php?Page=11 )

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

In plain wire terms it's probably about 1mm, but it't profile I'm after. As I say ridged guitar strings give this but don't bend easily as they have a steel core that I can't remove

But I havn't tried guitfiddle strings... Have to see if I can get to a music shop and have a look there

Respond to this message   
Dave Foster
(Login KiwiDave4)
Missing-Lynx members

Cable

June 18 2012, 5:12 PM 

They can be made by the simple expedient of wrapping a light gauge copper wire, say 5 amp fuse wire, around a slightly thicker copper core and then soldering the two together.

Regards Dave

Respond to this message   
John Franklin
(Login JBF1993)
Missing-Lynx members

cable

June 18 2012, 7:54 PM 

In plain wire terms it's probably about 1mm, but it't profile I'm after. As I say ridged guitar strings give this but don't bend easily as they have a steel core that I can't remove

Sure you can its easy, just unwrap an inch or so of the outer wrap and then grab it with a set of pliers (call them #1) and then put some needle nose pliers (call it #2)on the still wrapped side of the pliers (#1)you are holding the wire with ,then slide your #2 pliers away from the #1 set along the wire ,it will slide off and you then have the hollow wrap for your Flexable cable and a wire to use for somthing else you can do it with all sizes of guitar strings also some wheel bearing seals have very small springs which are hollow I use them all the time
Try it cant hurt

Respond to this message   
David Parker
(Login afvmodeller)
Missing-Lynx members

Tamiya tow cable?

June 18 2012, 11:07 PM 

Hi Anthony,
How about the tow cable that Tamiya supply in their 1:48 tank kits?
I have found it has a really good pattern to replicate the woven type cable.
[linked image]
regards David
AFV Modeller

This message has been edited by afvmodeller from IP address 2.221.151.157 on Jun 18, 2012 11:10 PM

Respond to this message   
Anthony Caryl
(Login caryl576)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks for all the good suggestions

June 19 2012, 5:21 AM 

Thanks everybody

This message has been edited by caryl576 from IP address 82.36.100.166 on Jun 19, 2012 11:43 AM

Respond to this message   
Tom Jett
(Login TJett)
Missing-Lynx members

Brass around Copper

June 19 2012, 8:09 AM 

Tony

I did the valentine article in MMiR mentioned above. For the headlight cabling I wrapped fine solder around a strand of copper wire. I liked the results but think in hindsight maybe it was a tiny bit out of scale. For a future article on the Bronco Bishop, I've replaced the solder with fine brass wire (still wrapped around copper wire) the results are much more to scale. The process is tedious, but the copper "core" makes positioning the cable pretty easy, and the brass wire wrap looks "right" in scale Good luck.

Tom Jett

Respond to this message   
Mike Roof
(Login MikeRoof)
Missing-Lynx members

Metallic Sewing Threads

June 19 2012, 2:51 PM 

I've had pretty good success using silver metallic sewing thread:

It comes in several different diameters and colors - silver, gold, and black. It's made of a metallic colored mylar-like material wound around a core of thread. It's very flexible, but will not hold a bend by itself like wire or lead solder.

However, once painted it looks very good - a little dry-brushing will bring out the texture.

You can find this stuff in the sewing notions sections of large crafts stores and places that sell fabrics, etc.

HTH,
Mike

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson2)
Missing-Lynx members

Various elastic threads have a similar pattern

June 19 2012, 3:55 PM 

and is flexible. It looks good enough to me.

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse