Home > Discussion Groups > General

Message posting guidelines:

• Full real names must be used at all times.

• A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)

• Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.

• Registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47207&messageid=1113822984

Please read our Community guidelines before posting.

By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.

Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

DC Comics artist Joe Kubert passed away

August 14 2012 at 12:02 PM
  (Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 192.172.14.69

Just saw an announcment about his passing on 12-Aug. Joe was well known for his "Haunted Tank" and "Sgt Rock" series for DC Comics.

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login rickemrick)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: DC Comics artist Joe Kubert passed away

August 14 2012, 5:28 PM 

He was to DC comics what Jack Kirby was to Marvel comics. The best."Enemy Ace" was fantastic.With the loss of John Severn a few months ago, the ranks of great comic-book war artists is getting very thin.

Respond to this message   

(Login FergusonSM)
Missing-Lynx members

RIP

August 14 2012, 7:52 PM 

Man I loved Sgt Rock, the Haunted Tank and Unknown Soldier. I was suprised to recognize and later be told he drew the comics for the Army's PM magazine. So we add Connie and Bonnie as well MSG Half-Mast to the list of Old Soldiers fading away.

A US veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

Respond to this message   

(Login PBHIII)
Missing-Lynx members

Gods speed and thank you for a great childhood.

August 14 2012, 9:12 PM 

I grew up with Rock and Easy Co. Jeb and the Haunted tank, I have most of them still. He made childhood a real adventure following them from comic to comic. Brock

Respond to this message   

(Login SEDimmick)
Missing-Lynx members

PM Magazine....

August 15 2012, 7:52 AM 

When I was going through AIT at Fort Knox, one of our instructors told us that either connie or bonnie where based off a girl who worked at the Ft. Knox Exchange....

AFAIK, PM Magazine is still going strong, I've seen one or two floating around my job

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

Respond to this message   

(Login chicoutimi)
Missing-Lynx members

Never been a fan of DC comics...

August 15 2012, 7:41 AM 

... But I do remember enjoying the Sgt Rock series back when I was real young. As a matter of fact, this and my father's enjoyment of old war flicks is probably what kindled my interest in military things.

God speed, Mr. Kubert.

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

Respond to this message   

(Login MRiedeman)
Missing-Lynx members

RIP Mr. Kubert....man the late 1960's, a Sgt Rock comic....

August 15 2012, 12:11 PM 

a Coke and a Revell or Aurora 1/72nd scale plane, all for under a $1.00, at the local READS Drugstore.....man he made a 8-10 yr old boy happy. Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login tankmodeler)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: RIP Mr. Kubert....man the late 1960's, a Sgt Rock comic....

August 15 2012, 2:44 PM 

Yep, with 50 cents a week for allowance, I could get a new model and comic book every other Saturday (and have the model built by Sunday!) and still get a pop, some chips and some jawbreakers with which to rot my teeth. happy.gif

Paul

Paul Roberts

Join AMPS!
www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   

(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

I was big into the Tarzan comics that he drew for DC

August 15 2012, 12:48 PM 

great stuff as a kid back then.

RobG

Respond to this message   

(Login mailman7777777)
Missing-Lynx members

Tarzan

August 15 2012, 10:46 PM 

I think I still have most of his Tarzan books, bought them from a dealer, never even read them.
Might still have the first Enemy Ace also.

Owen

Respond to this message   

(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

One story line I remember

August 16 2012, 12:56 PM 

was either he ends up in the jungles of Latin America or he stumbles upon an ancient copy of the pyramids of Chichen Itza on the African continent. He battles a lost tribe of Mayans to rescue the sacrificial shapely damsel, blah, blah blah.

RobG

Respond to this message   

(Login SfanGoch)
Missing-Lynx members

Gary Skinner......

August 16 2012, 4:58 PM 

from Columbus, Ohio. That name is indelibly etched into my brain because he would have a letter to the editor published in just about every darned DC comic title from the early through late 1960s. It didn't matter which comic you opened; there was another Gary Skinner letter. It seemed that he appeared in more issues than either the Palisades Amusement Park coupons or Johnson-Smith ads.

Respond to this message   

(Login mailman7777777)
Missing-Lynx members

ads

August 17 2012, 8:42 PM 

I remember cutting out those ads, so somewhere, someplace, there is a valuable comic missing part of a page....
I just hope it's not one of those that they paid to be sealed forever in plastic, comics are meant to be read, they are not baseball cards.

Owen

Respond to this message   
Andre Ellis
(Login 105mmgun)
Missing-Lynx members

vs.dinosaurs?

August 15 2012, 10:14 PM 

one of my fav Joe Kubert covers was two soldiers/marines hanging from a tree {one holding the other by one hand and his free hand holding on for dear life} with a giant reptile ,mouth agape waiting for his meal to drop....did i mention one guy is firing his thompson into godzillas mouth?awesome stuff to a ten year old we,ll miss you Joe and all the imaginations you helped fuel .

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - DC Comics artist Joe Kubert passed away
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse