Home > Discussion Groups > Figures

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47212&messageid=1113823220
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

Allies getting hit on Normandy Beach

January 21 2011 at 3:27 PM
Cliff Leverette  (Login J.Clifford)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 192.231.71.2

Response to opinions on new TANK action pose figures

I think they are British but may be Canadians. They were filmed from the vantage point of the seawall looking back toward the shoreline. There are about five or six men trying to make it to the seawall, and three get hit. All go down without waving arms, etc. They just go down and one rolls over, but not because of momentum. Looks like he might be trying to get up, but he doesn't. This film is in EVERY documentary that I have ever seen of Normandy.

The bit about arms waving has cast doubt on the truthfulness of Robert Capa's photo, Death of a Loyalist Soldier. We should believe from the photo that Capa was just in the right place with camera cocked, when a Spanish loyalist soldier comes running by on the charge and he gets hit, arms go flailing outward, rifle goes flying, the soldier dies falling back. Look it up. Lots of people say its staged, but not in the 30s when the photo was taken. I notice that since I was young, the title of the photo has changed to The Falling Soldier, but believe me, it used to be titled Death of a Loyalist Soldier. Perhaps there has been an effort to correct a mistake. AND perhaps Capa used a 35mm movie camera to take his film, which would explain how he just happened to get the photo at the right time. But that is something that people didn't talk about a long time ago (when I was a photography student in the mid 70s.)

The most odd account I have ever read by a vet in any book of a soldier running and getting killed was one who got hit by something that obliterated his upper body and left the legs running for a few steps, just like there was a brain still attached, telling the legs what to do. I've even heard of a policeman who shot a crackhead in the stomach, which later was examined and the spine was said to be severed from the shot, but the crackhead proceeded to beat the policeman almost to death after he was shot and before he collapsed. Either these stories are skewed by the shock of folks telling them, or something happens that us regular folk can't explain and thus would never be believed.

I am looking forward to the War is Over figure. I love POWS. Fewer plastic or resin men who have to die in the war that has been going on in my hobby room since '78.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. interesting - - dave swann on Jan 22, 2011, 5:27 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse