Home > Discussion Groups > Figures

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47212&messageid=1113823220
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Time for DML to go back to Volstad!

June 24 2012 at 12:09 PM
  (Login RichardIsner)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 75.197.139.251

Hello,

I went to the hobby shop yesteday and looked at the DML boxing of DAK Tankers and Artillery Crew. The four figure set is based on two of Ron Volstad's prints in the Concord Blitzkrieg title. Of course, the art work is typical of Ron...to quote singer Billy Ocean, "Simply awesome!" Unfortunately, the sculpting is just not up to the artwork. It is really frustrating, because if the a sculptor can capture the essence of Ron's artwork then the set is always going to be a winner. Bluntly put, DML has done a lot a really great things in its history. However, it is extreme folly for them not to continue to get scupltors who can completely mimic in 3-D what Ron illustrates. Also, DML would do well to turn many of the figures included in Ron's vehicle illustrations into more figure sets. For instance, the Germans using the recently announced RSO to extract a stuck staff car, or the fellows in and around the Flakvierling IV.

This is not a plug for Ron. Ron is, as always, doing wonderful work with what DML has him do.This is also not meant to be a ding on any of the other artist or companies who have come up with some nice figure sets. But I am simply saying, as someone who has at least one and sometimes up to twenty of the Volstad inspired DML figure sets going back to the Israeli Paratroopers, DML should be utilizing this resource just as it did 10 years ago. It is a "no-brainer," IMHO.

Now back to more part-swapping with the "Panzer Survivors, Kursk," one of Ron's and DML's all-time best sets!

Cheers,

Richard

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login RalphPersico60)
Missing-Lynx members

Ageed ! (N/T)

June 25 2012, 12:04 AM 

- ralph

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the willingness to walk through it."

Respond to this message   

(Login chicoutimi)
Missing-Lynx members

As much as I like Ron's artowrk...

June 25 2012, 12:08 PM 

... I don't see the connection between the author of the artwork and the quality of the actual figures.

I agree with you that most of Dragon's recent figures somehow fail to capture the feel of the artwork, but that has also been the case with figures inspired by Ron's work. The figures in the more recent sets by Dragon pretty much always look kind of bulky and stiff compared to what they're supposed to represent, regardless of who made the artwork.

As matter of fact, this appears to be a common problem among many figure manufacturers. For instance, some of the Miniart figures, like those in the recent Winter US Tank Crew set, really don't look anything like the dudes on the box. Yet, the artist illustrating the boxes for Miniart ransk up there with Ron as one of the best around.

For what it's worth,

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

Respond to this message   

(Login RichardIsner)
Missing-Lynx members

Precisely

June 25 2012, 7:20 PM 

Good point. I guess what I am trying to say is that it seems to me that some of the earlier releases from DML did a better job of capturing the art in the sculpture. Today, not so much. If you compare the figures in the set from a few years back, German Self-propelled Gun Crew (I think they were intended for their Marder III) to an even earlier set like Kampfgruppe Peiper...well, I think there is a distinct difference! Kampfgruppe Peiper is another one of my favorite sets.

I agree that the sets from companies like Mini-Art have sometimes been less than the artwork would suggest before you open the box. Ultimately, I just wish DML and the others would seek out the most talented sculptors that can capture the art in 3-D. Mind you, I am not suggesting that the sculpting is easy. Good sculptors are truly gifted. I guess that is why I buy LOTS of Alpine!

Cheers,

Richard

Respond to this message   

(Login tankerdog)
Missing-Lynx members

Two thumbs up here!

June 27 2012, 12:40 AM 

Sometimes change is a bad idea, as in this case. I trust Ron.

Kent

Respond to this message   

(Login partisan77)
Missing-Lynx members

Ron is my favourite military artist

June 29 2012, 7:08 PM 

the Dragon box art of his is amazing; i wish they'd compile it all in a book.

Respond to this message   

(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Ya got my vote!

July 2 2012, 10:22 AM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Time for DML to go back to Volstad!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse