<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Vacheron Constantin "golden age" (c. 1940's through 1950's) vintage minute repeater

December 11 2008 at 11:26 PM

ThomasM  (Premier Login thepurist178)
Admin

please contact me at (remove spaces)

ThomasM @ ThePuristS.com

Vacheron Constantin vintage (c. 1940's-1950's) wristwatch minute repeater - yellow gold "simple" case - I have never seen another in my 30 plus years of collecting and may possibly be unique. Very classic, simple dial and baton lance hands (baton, but with pointed tip)

This watch was recently serviced by one of the greatest living watchmakers, whose comment to me was, "Thomas, the condition and originality of this watch is simply incredible."

A timeless classic, it wears well even today (approx. 38-40mm diameter, thin) and it is highly unlikely you will ever see another in this original, mint condition.

Condition: see above

Vacheron Constantin croc strap, VC Maltese Cross tang and buckle

If the dial and movement had Patek Philippe marked on them, this would be a multi-million dollar watch. What do I mean by this?

The inherent quality and craftsmanship;
the almost incredible originality and condition, especially considering it is around 60 years old;
the very rare case for this particular complication from this manufacturer.

During that period, Vacheron Constantin was easily the equal of Patek Philippe in terms of brand prestige, and certainly in terms of contemporaneous "high horology" quality. Some who lived through that period might argue that it was even higher on both counts...

For those that appreciate what this is, for what it is, this is a chance to own a piece of history at a fraction of the market value of (nearly but lesser) comparable pieces from other brands.

Under other circumstances, this piece would not even be possible to acquire at any price, especially given that it was just serviced by someone of the very highest reputation, universally acknowledged.

Asking price: will consider serious offers ex Southern California.

Serious inquiries only, please; I've been traveling internationally basically non-stop since August and am really, really pressed for time. Apologies to all who know me and know that I LOVE to talk watches; I hope to have that luxury again soon, but at this point, I have to restrict communications to serious, legitimate inquiries.

please contact me at (remove spaces)

ThomasM @ ThePuristS.com

to discuss or to ask any additional questions.

Again, serious inquiries only, please!

"A Purist does not believe in gilt by association. Respect, AND disdain, have to be earned..."

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

GO TO: WatchRap: general watch discussion | Best of ThePuristS | News Central

Automotive | Belles Lettres | Pen & Writing Instruments | Photography and Camera equipment | Travel | Wine, Food, other Epicurean Delights

Trading Zone | Collectors Marketplace | Home Page

Audemars Piguet | Blancpain | Breguet | Chopard | Girard Perregaux | Glashutte Original | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Jaquet Droz | F.P. Journe | A. Lange & Söhne | Richard Mille | Patek Philippe | Daniel Roth | Ulysse Nardin | Vacheron Constantin | Harry Winston | AHCI and independent haute horlogerie