<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PRESS RELEASE: Trofeo Audemars Piguet Maserati Europa - Round 4

July 9 2006 at 8:06 PM
Presscenter  (Login presscenter)

Information and photos provided by Audemars Piguet.

Over the weekend of June 30, 2006, Round 4 of the Trofeo Audemars Piguet Maserati Europa was held in Oschersleben, near Magdeburg. The weather conditions were ideal for the gentlemen drivers competing in the Trofeo. Indeed, there was not a cloud in the German sky.

Audemars Piguet VIP car, racing in the Trofeo Audemars Piguet Maserati Europa.
Click here to view larger photo

For this race, Audemars Piguet brought in the rapper Smudo, founder and singer of the famous group, Die Fantastischen Vier, which belongs to the most famous German pop groups since years, with millions of albums sold. In his free time, Smudo pilots light aircraft and competes in local car races. On the Oschersleben circuit, he got behind the wheel of the Audemars Piguet VIP Car during the free trials on Friday, clocking up very regular times. During the qualification rounds, he kept the Maserati’s power clearly under control and finally ranked an honourable 7th place on the grid.

Smudo, driver of the Audemars Piguet VIP.

On Sunday, it only took the singer two laps to get a good feel for the race. He then worked his way up from 9th to 6th place in around 15 minutes, even daring a few reckless overtakes in a bend. Applauded by the German spectators and the commentator, Smudo was well placed to make a bid for the 5th or even the 4th place, an impressive feat given that most of the other drivers were now competing in their third season in these racing cars bearing the famous Maserati trident logo. Unfortunately, just as he was getting close enough to the car in front to position himself for an overtake, the driver behind him failed to brake and Smudo suddenly found himself projected off the track.

Audemars Piguet VIP car.

Impressed, Smudo declared, “The Maseratis are really fast. With my experience of car racing, I can say that the Trofeo Audemars Piguet Maserati Europa is in a class of its own. The mechanics are very professional and I was really impressed with the entire infrastructure set in place. I also really enjoyed the positive spirit demonstrated by all the participants. I certainly enjoyed myself this weekend and I hope that Audemars Piguet will invite me to race again in the future.”

Axel Felmy, CEO of Audemars Piguet Germany, Smudo, and XY, CEO of Maserati Germany.

The guests of the Le Brassus Manufacture attended the various races held on the circuit, such as the prestigious FIA GT Championship, similar to the Formula 1 championship. They were also able to test drive various Maseratis on the roads around the Magdeburg countryside. For many, it was truly an unforgettable experience.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

GO TO: WatchRap: general watch discussion | Best of ThePuristS | News Central

Automotive | Belles Lettres | Pen & Writing Instruments | Photography and Camera equipment | Travel | Wine, Food, other Epicurean Delights

Trading Zone | Home Page

Audemars Piguet | Blancpain | Breguet | Chopard | Girard Perregaux | Glashutte Original | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Jaquet Droz | F.P. Journe | A. Lange & Söhne | Richard Mille | Patek Philippe | Daniel Roth | Ulysse Nardin | Vacheron Constantin | Harry Winston | AHCI and independent haute horlogerie