Advertisement

Return to Index  

Reference, Toadman's T-34/76 Model 1943 & T-34/85 Model 1945 Photo Detail CD

April 9 2006 at 7:54 PM
Frank De Sisto  (Login zappa93)
MODERATORS ONLY - Time on Target
from IP address 162.84.171.127

TOADMAN’S TANK PICTURES

Toadman's T-34/76 Model 1943 & T-34/85 Model 1945 Photo Detail CD. Compact Disk containing 419 color photographs, introduction and bibliography. Price: $7.99 USD, plus $2.15 USD each shipping (First Class in USA, Air Mail to all other points). Three or more CDs per order are shipped free.

The formula for this very fine CD series will now be well known to readers of these reviews. Chris Hughes, a fellow modeler simply asked himself what he’d like to see in a “walk-around” type reference series; he then answered his own question by going out there and producing it!

This is one of his earlier efforts, released in 2005. It depicts two distinct T-34s, both as held in the legendary Littlefield Collection in California, USA. The fist is a so-called Model 1943 version armed with a 76mm main gun. However, it would appear that it has the characteristics of the Model 1942 with “hard-edge” turret produced at the ChKZ factory in the spring/summer of 1943, according to my main reference, AJaKS’ “T-34 In Combat, Vol.II”. Perhaps this is how the confusion as to the “model” was arrived at? In the end, that’s immaterial since the photos are certainly not ambiguous! They show just about every accessible detail imaginable, and are of great use to a modeler.

The author states that the T-34/85 which he calls a “Model 1945” wears a turret characteristic of those produced at from Zavod (Factory) No. 183. While he is correct in that respect, my reference for this, AJaKS’ “T-34 Bloody Peacemaker, Vol.III”, identifies it as a Model 1944. The museum example also has some post-war modifications (not to be confused with spurious museum additions; these guys do a first-rate job!) such as a glacis plate water splash guard and new head-lamp cluster with brush guards. So the modeler should be aware of this when modeling a late WW2 tank. And, of course, ignore the nice markings. But, yet again, this does not take a single thing away from the extraordinary series of well-captioned photos he presents. As a reviewer, I just have to be a “picky old so-and-so”! Ignore me (that’s easy…) and enjoy the photos.

The CD is set up as follows:

• Main Table of Contents (TOC).
• Introduction and Acknowledgements (with Source list)
• T-34/76 Model 1943 Main TOC
• T-34/76 Model 1943 turret exterior
• T-34/76 Model 1943 hull exterior
• T-34/76 Model 1943 suspension
• T-34/76 Model 1943 turret interior
• T-34/76 Model 1943 hull interior
• T-34/85 Model 1945 Main TOC
• T-34/85 Model 1945 turret exterior
• T-34/85 Model 1945 hull exterior
• T-34/85 Model 1945 suspension
• T-34/85 Model 1945 turret interior
• T-34/85 Model 1945 hull interior

So, as I said, this is a fine presentation and will go a long way (at a very LOW price) towards helping modelers build a respectable replica of the “Soviet Sherman”.

Highly recommended.

Frank V. De Sisto

For ordering information and more photos visit the web site at:
www.toadmanstankpictures.com

Delete byteme from email

Respond to this message   

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse